Sponsored by:

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Bought my mass loaded vinyl from Amazon. They have numerous choices, I got this one as I planned more installations. It states 1 pound per sq. ft. so I added about 10 lbs. When I do the rear wheel wells I also plan to do a rear seat delete, so I'll reduce the weight some what with the removal of rear seat belts and the seats themselves. Again, I'm not concerned with weight. I want a quiet cruiser. Hope this helps.

TMS Mass Loaded Vinyl 4' X 10' (40 Square Feet) 1 Lb MLV Acoustic Barrier

How much did all of this weigh?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Sensitivity to road noise is highly individual. I have driven many long trips in a variety of sports cars, including a 991 with Pirellis, I expect substantial road noise. It has never been a problem or a concern or bothered me. If it did, I would drive another car on long trips.

Last edited by verstraete; 05-12-2018 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Live Steam (01-04-2022)
Old 05-12-2018, 06:52 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed , 911 are certainly ok for long distance , Need to set expectation on road noise , no spare tire etc which can be irritating for some folks and road sound after a long day on gravel roads etc

most at of the time it is fine or can be mitigated by using a luxury car /SUV . I realized earlier on that a porsche or for that matter expensive Exotics are not meant to be 100 percent daily driver replacements as they involve our sensesto a larger degree that sometimes is not what we may want

Old 05-14-2018, 07:29 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Guys, these are sport cars with sport tires. Noise will be there in a 911. The Panamera has better noise reduction.
Yep. My 991 screams like a banshee IMO. And it's road (tire) noise - not engine noise - that does that. The sweet engine noise only comes up when I crank up the volume with my right foot. On that ca, I have P-Zeros that have probably 5k miles left on them.

I have a scale on a trip of any significance and traveling at 75-80mh- 1) can I have a business phone call, and 2) can I listen to or appreciate the audio system at that speed

Cayenne - Yes, Yes
Boxster - No, Yes (but why would you want to with that sweet noise right behind you)
Panamera - Yes (although you may have to apologize sometimes), Yes
911 - No, No.And I don't care much

That said, I would look forward to blowing up these Pirellis and going to Michelins to check those out. I have always been happy with Ms.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:12 AM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

There has been a Porsche in the garage for 10 years two have been 911's. I've not experienced any of the road noise problems so I've had nothing to contribute to this thread until recently. I can't remember where I was but the noise really got my attention. It was very loud. Imo and for my situation I determined it was 100% the road surface. Maybe temperature plays a part, I don't know. My expectations were not high regarding noise in the 911 anyway.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow, I know it's all relative but I'm surprised by how unbearable the 911 is to most people. My other car is an S2000, so my 911T with thinner glass & reduced insulation is still an excellent highway cruiser for me. I just took a road trip with my bike on a roof rack and it was still totally enjoyable. I think the Burmester definitely helps though!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Wow, I know it's all relative but I'm surprised by how unbearable the 911 is to most people. My other car is an S2000, so my 911T with thinner glass & reduced insulation is still an excellent highway cruiser for me. I just took a road trip with my bike on a roof rack and it was still totally enjoyable. I think the Burmester definitely helps though!
The Burmester sounds amazing!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Fake news.
+911
Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
The Burmester sounds amazing!
Can you really hear the Burmeister difference at 80 mph?

There seem to be two groups in this discussion: One that is really disturbed by the road noise--which is obviously very high (my group). And the Second one that accepts it and somehow isn't bothered.

My point is that I find nothing appealing about the road noise. Unlike engine sound, toad noise isn't sporty or exciting. It's just noise--and unpleasant. Reducing this noise would provide an opportunity for the allegedly clever Porsche engineers to advance the state of the art. After all, in the 991.2 they have created an extremely fast sports car that is still very comfortable and gets superb mileage on long trips. They would only make the car even better if they could enhance the driving experience by reducing the road noise and enhancing the driving comfort, while simultaneously unmasking the engine sound.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Surprised Porsche doesn't add some acoustic materials, bundle them as a "GT cruiser super premium package" and asks 20k for it...
Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Can you really hear the Burmeister difference at 80 mph?

There seem to be two groups in this discussion: One that is really disturbed by the road noise--which is obviously very high (my group). And the Second one that accepts it and somehow isn't bothered.

My point is that I find nothing appealing about the road noise. Unlike engine sound, toad noise isn't sporty or exciting. It's just noise--and unpleasant. Reducing this noise would provide an opportunity for the allegedly clever Porsche engineers to advance the state of the art. After all, in the 991.2 they have created an extremely fast sports car that is still very comfortable and gets superb mileage on long trips. They would only make the car even better if they could enhance the driving experience by reducing the road noise and enhancing the driving comfort, while simultaneously unmasking the engine sound.
Absolutely I can hear the difference. The car isn't that much noisier to me at 80 mph. Maybe not if the sunroof was open and the windows were down perhaps hahaha.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 461 Posts

I would think Porsche could add noise cancelling software to the 911, and it should be a lot lighter than an insulation package. Hmm, is there an after-market gizmo to add noise canceling to a car?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I would think Porsche could add noise cancelling software to the 911, and it should be a lot lighter than an insulation package. Hmm, is there an after-market gizmo to add noise canceling to a car?

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by rowsey
I just got back from a 1600 mile round trip from Florida to Virginia in my 2018 Targa 4S MT. The car drove great, was VERY comfortable (18 way seats), and got a little over 30mpg. The one "issue" but not totally surprising was the ROAD NOISE. I had the car in "normal" mode but the noise level was deafening.... it seemed to be a combination of tire/road noise and exhaust/engine noise. I was running 75 mph (2100 RPM) in 7th gear. I LOVE this car...95% of my driving is "in town" so discovering that this really isn't an ideal "road car" is no big deal. In the future I will take our BMW 650i on road trips and leave the Targa for "cruising".

Road noise in a street 991! You should try a first generation GT3! Now there's road noise!

Okay, only yanking your chain in good fun.

What tires are you running?

I'll bet most of that is from the tires. Also, tires tend to make a lot more noise as they near the end of their tread life.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think just about every state in the Union has a law on the book about driver's wearing headphones or earphones.

The only exception I know about are firefighters in emergency vehicles. I guess you could always claim that you are a firefighter. After all, it is a 911.

Quick Reply: road noise