Sponsored by:

Wrapping my 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wrapping my 991

I have a black C2S that I would like to have wrapped for a change of pace. Thinking about a gloss white, nardo gray or something similar. My question is how good is the quality of car wraps at premium installers? Is it very obvious that it's a wrap? I'd like to wrap the door jambs and other identifying areas; I just don't want it to look cheesy.

Would the black paint "bleed through" a lighter color wrap like white or light gray?

Any advice on installers, dos and don't would be much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 PM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought the headlight trim from these folks and found exactly what you're looking for on their website.

https://kistudios.com/how-to-choose-the-best-car-wrap-shop/
Old 05-08-2018, 11:29 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm having mine wrapped right now here in the Charlotte area. They seem to be very good. I'll let you know when I get my car back in a day or two how it turns out. A quality rap will cut pretty easy with a gravel strike at speed. I'm having my front bumper and hood xpel'd over the top of the wrap. If you go from black to white you would see a cut pretty easy if not protected with clear bra.
Some colors and textures are more 'wrapped' looking than others. There are some gloss grays that look at lot like paint. Find an installer and get some of their sample books. I did and I took weeks of looking at the samples and viewing pictures on internet. The installer should also be able to order you some samples, if they don't offer, move on. I wanted mine to look different, but not so much that it says "hey look at me". I didn't mind if one can figure out it isn't paint.
I checked out the equipment the installer has, it is pretty impressive and they even hired a graphic artist. My wrap was part of a deal I made with my dealer. They sent me to one place who does a lot of real fancy stuff on box trucks and big rigs. I just had a bad feeling, I heard two many "we don't want to remove bumpers and door panels" from the owner, they didn't seem to really want my business. I told my dealer I needed to take it elsewhere and a place of my choice. I did my homework and now I wait to see.
I ended up with Dragon Fire Red with black roof, mirrors, and door handles. Here are some of today's pictures. I posted earlier pictures on another thread.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

That second picture I posted above is not good, it kind of looks satin. I didn't realize the guys camera must have moved or something. Here is one I posted before:

Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

That looks fantastic!

May I ask around how much was it for this job?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Great color. Looking forward to the finished product.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:23 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alex_c
That looks fantastic!

May I ask around how much was it for this job?
I don't have the final bill. The wrap alone though they quoted me $3200.00. Remember prices are all over place depending on your location. I also didn't have the inside of my doors done. There also wasn't going to be bumper removal, but the front had to come off when we found out the headlights don't come out without tilting the bumper back (991.2).
Old 05-09-2018, 10:16 AM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. Car looks great! Who is your installer? I'm relatively close to Charlotte.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wraps cheapen the car and are distasteful. If you want to protect the paint, just go for PPF. There are satin options too.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I don't have the final bill. The wrap alone though they quoted me $3200.00. Remember prices are all over place depending on your location. I also didn't have the inside of my doors done. There also wasn't going to be bumper removal, but the front had to come off when we found out the headlights don't come out without tilting the bumper back (991.2).
That is a very reasonable price! Seeing your car, I have to admit that at one point I was also looking at one of the Performance Edition 911's, but wasn't sold on a black car, and the thought of a wrap crossed my mind too. I ended up going a different route, but I think it is going to look great!

Originally Posted by Andial
Wraps cheapen the car and are distasteful.
Don't be shy, please tell us how you really feel about wraps... (!!!)
Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murox
Awesome! Thanks for the replies. Car looks great! Who is your installer? I'm relatively close to Charlotte.
atlanticcustomwraps.com
I'll give updates on how it came out and probably report on it over time. You are welcome to check mine out. Not sure if you are ever down this way. This is all new to me and it is always fun to try something new in life.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wraps cheapen the car and are distasteful. If you want to protect the paint, just go for PPF. There are satin options too.
Classy.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:56 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking Sweet!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
That is a very reasonable price! Seeing your car, I have to admit that at one point I was also looking at one of the Performance Edition 911's, but wasn't sold on a black car, and the thought of a wrap crossed my mind too. I ended up going a different route, but I think it is going to look great!

Don't be shy, please tell us how you really feel about wraps... (!!!)
Wraps make me actively uncomfortable.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wraps make me actively uncomfortable.
Live and let live my man.

Quick Reply: Wrapping my 991