Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As a 911 owner, what's your thoughts on the new M2 with Competition package?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018 | 03:29 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by br911
But low key cars are terrible, for example a Fiat 500X that I have at home and use it twice or 3 times/week. It is nice to be stealth, but I do pay a price for that.
Please do yourself a favor and find a 500 Abarth. If you can't, stop by for lunch and I'll see if I can borrow my old one from its current owner. I missed it after selling it to get a GT4, not only for its "stealth" factor but for its outright fun factor.
Old 05-03-2018 | 08:04 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Originally Posted by tse
There is no better BMW to buy today.

Having said that it's still not a 911 replacement...
couldn’t agree more!
Old 05-03-2018 | 09:16 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Not sure about the M2 per se, but I purchased a 2017 M3 Competition Package with manual transmission as I thought it might be cool to have a reasonably priced 4 door car with decent performance numbers and fun factor . . . also kind of a bucket list gotta have at least one to see what it is all about . . . I never drive it and don't like it. I have to literally force myself to grab the keys and drive it everyone once in a while and I always wish I was in one of my other cars. The BMW just feels cheap and compromised. I hear that the M2 is a bit better balanced, but it feels even cheaper and more a compromised one trick pony than the M3 or M4.
Old 05-03-2018 | 11:01 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

Really? And Porsche hasn’t?
Porsche probably has invented mass commercialization. Not that I am complaining.
Still like my BMW’s iDrive way better than Porsche’s PCM.

Take a good look at the build quality. There is no question that Porsche is building cars for the "select" masses, but the build quality is much better.
Old 05-03-2018 | 02:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Geez! you guys have me second guessing my recent decision on a 2018 Competition M3. I have euro delivery scheduled for the end of this month. I did lease it however, so only tied for 3 years. Hopefully not 3 years of agony! LOL!
Old 05-03-2018 | 02:52 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Please do yourself a favor and find a 500 Abarth. If you can't, stop by for lunch and I'll see if I can borrow my old one from its current owner. I missed it after selling it to get a GT4, not only for its "stealth" factor but for its outright fun factor.
Actually I do have an Abarth and love it. I was driving it more than my Porsche TT that i used to commute with. I absolutely love it. We communicated before on that car - despite terrible steering and seating position, Abarth is an addiction and I can't stop driving it. I have made some mods and keep on adding. Will always have an Abarth. Best little big car ever. I keep it for the Friday commute. When you get to borrow your old car, let me know and we can go for a spin.
Old 05-03-2018 | 06:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Actually I do have an Abarth and love it. I was driving it more than my Porsche TT that i used to commute with. I absolutely love it. We communicated before on that car - despite terrible steering and seating position, Abarth is an addiction and I can't stop driving it. I have made some mods and keep on adding. Will always have an Abarth. Best little big car ever. I keep it for the Friday commute. When you get to borrow your old car, let me know and we can go for a spin.
Ha. So you were the one. What a great garage pairing—when I got the GT4, I thought hard about buying another Abarth. I still do...but the 991.2 Carrera does much of what I'd need the Abarth to do. Even so, I hear it every time the currently owner drives by my office and grin...
Old 05-03-2018 | 09:43 PM
Andial
Banned

After commuting in Porsches for eight years, I am now using low key cars to work. But low key cars are terrible, for example a Fiat 500X that I have at home and use it twice or 3 times/week. It is nice to be stealth, but I do pay a price for that. M2 will never be anything like a Porsche; BMW lost he battle a long time ago,imo. But the M2 Comp seems like a good compromise as a daily driver. Not too flashy, not too slow and sterile. However, at that price point wouldn't an Audi RS3 be an option as well? Would love to see a magazine/vídeo comparison or hear some opinions.
The best low key car is the Mercedes-Benz E400 Wagon. It is relatively cheap and functional.
Old 05-03-2018 | 10:49 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vodkag
I had one, a 2009 M6 coupe. Yeah the engine is nice...that V10 SCREAMS!!!!! hands down the best sounding engine IMO

....but the SMG trans was a POS.........and the 6 speed manual isnt any better (just less headache)

not to mention the car cant turn.
I had an ‘06 M5 and couldn’t agree more. I went to a Mini Cooper S and actually was able to take turns in the mini faster than the M5, and even though I was down about 320 HP, I still liked the Mini more than the M5
Old 05-04-2018 | 12:33 AM
TKO
Racer

After commuting in Porsches for eight years, I am now using low key cars to work. But low key cars are terrible, for example a Fiat 500X that I have at home and use it twice or 3 times/week. It is nice to be stealth, but I do pay a price for that. M2 will never be anything like a Porsche; BMW lost he battle a long time ago,imo. But the M2 Comp seems like a good compromise as a daily driver. Not too flashy, not too slow and sterile. However, at that price point wouldn't an Audi RS3 be an option as well? Would love to see a magazine/vídeo comparison or hear some opinions.
The M2 is not a 911 competitor .... but I tell you what, it begs to be driven. Its rowdy, its a great size, makes great sounds, it has a more upright driving position, it has a great usable trunk, but most of all it's just FUN (maybe as fun as a base Carrera, shhhh, I own both). Its like a teenager and the 911 is a mature young adult. I think its a bargain at $55K. As for the RS3, I haven't driven one but I hear good things about that awesome motor. It only has one issue, no manual available.
The following users liked this post:
kimchee411 (01-11-2024)
Old 05-04-2018 | 01:41 AM
mattyf
Pro

Originally Posted by TKO
The M2 is not a 911 competitor .... but I tell you what, it begs to be driven. Its rowdy, its a great size, makes great sounds, it has a more upright driving position, it has a great usable trunk, but most of all it's just FUN (maybe as fun as a base Carrera, shhhh, I own both). Its like a teenager and the 911 is a mature young adult. I think its a bargain at $55K. As for the RS3, I haven't driven one but I hear good things about that awesome motor. It only has one issue, no manual available.
Bingo! Not an apples to apple comp, but... I sold my 997 with the intent of springing on a nice CPO 991. That never happened as I couldn’t find “the one” so I ordered an M2 to tide me over and fill the gap.

With my old Porsche, traction control was so good, it would hide all my mistakes, but with it off the car would try to murder me. I just wasn’t good enough. I loved my 911, it was super precise, gave great road feedback and the full leather was choice. I miss that car still.

I admit I was a bit disappointed at first with the M2, the high seating position, the cheaper interior, no 5 gauges, numb feedback, etc. But the more I drove it and pushed it hard, the more I loved it. It’s so much more playful than my 997 was. It’s much easier to control at the limit. For me I’m not into lap times, just having fun and it was a blast at Buttonwillow. Can’t wait to get it out again.

I also like the under the radar feel. To most it’s just another BMW driving around LA. I don’t care where I park it, drive it in the rain, take it to Home Depot, whatever. Bottom line, the car is super fun and very practical. Sure it’s no Porsche, but it’s not trying to be. I’m sure the comp will be fun as well.

I’m sure I’ll be back in a 911 sometime, but I’m in no hurry now, as I’m improving my skills on a more forgiving car and having a blast.
The following users liked this post:
kimchee411 (01-11-2024)
Old 05-04-2018 | 11:00 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKO
At $55k it's an OK deal, but most of the ones I've seen listed have been high 60s, low 70s. I'm guessing with so many cars optioned that highly, a stripper M2 must be pretty bare bones and few people seem to spec them that way based on the listings I've seen. At $70k it's really overpriced, IMHO.
Old 05-04-2018 | 11:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Not as a 911 replacement, but as a car, I love it. It’s the one BMW I think that really embodies whatever leftover “good” the brand has left.
Old 05-04-2018 | 11:40 AM
mr gregash
Banned

Originally Posted by reacher
At $55k it's an OK deal, but most of the ones I've seen listed have been high 60s, low 70s. I'm guessing with so many cars optioned that highly, a stripper M2 must be pretty bare bones and few people seem to spec them that way based on the listings I've seen. At $70k it's really overpriced, IMHO.
Very true. The M2 at anything more than 55k is an awful deals. I also think guys paying 85-100k on M3/4 with competition package and individual paint are also getting totally ripped off. I had an F80 M3 hasn’t when they were first released. Lasted me 5 months. Luckily made like 10k on it when I sold it (bought slightly used for cheap with all the M performance parts and then parted out and traded for more than I paid). I also had an F82 M4 hoping I’d like the coupe more. Traded that after 12 months as it too was a major letdown.
I also looked at the M2 before getting an RS3 and there was no question the RS3 was the car to have.
BMW just doesn’t make cars as honed in and perfected from by and large all aspects. Porsches are well thought out and cohesive in their delivery. The dichotomy of the two brands couldn’t be further apart.
Old 05-04-2018 | 12:08 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mr gregash
Very true. The M2 at anything more than 55k is an awful deals. I also think guys paying 85-100k on M3/4 with competition package and individual paint are also getting totally ripped off. I had an F80 M3 hasn’t when they were first released. Lasted me 5 months. Luckily made like 10k on it when I sold it (bought slightly used for cheap with all the M performance parts and then parted out and traded for more than I paid). I also had an F82 M4 hoping I’d like the coupe more. Traded that after 12 months as it too was a major letdown.
I also looked at the M2 before getting an RS3 and there was no question the RS3 was the car to have.
BMW just doesn’t make cars as honed in and perfected from by and large all aspects. Porsches are well thought out and cohesive in their delivery. The dichotomy of the two brands couldn’t be further apart.
Yeah I've seen those $100k M4s and I cringe, those cars don't make sense at those prices. I think the M3/M4 is a great $50k used car, but I wouldn't buy one new at $80k+. I feel like all the M2/M3/M4 are all too expensive for how compromised they are. The RS3 looks interesting! I haven't tried one, but from what I've seen it looks more interesting than the BMW lineup.

Quick Reply: As a 911 owner, what's your thoughts on the new M2 with Competition package?