Sponsored by:

I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
FWIW, we HIGHLY recommend and install PPF on headlights. I would say it comes down to installer confidence and experience. We specialize in Porsches and have done 1000+ 991 headlights, with no issue. XPEL is an excellent film and we highly recommend putting it on headlights to protect against impact and future yellowing/hazing of the headlights.

Unfortunately, we live in a day/age where companies need to be SUPER cautious to protect themselves. In this case, as long as you know the upside/downside to installing/not installing ppf, you'll k now what the risks are. We tell our clients, should headlight delaminate, then we have a procedure to get back to default, less OEM coating. We would never hold manufacturer liable for a choice WE, installer/customer, made intelligently.
Spot on. My installer who does nothing but high end including all of BMW's Performance Center cars recommends doing the headlights without hesitation.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:57 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Science!

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Viewing Clear Bra with Polarized glasses?

Here’s a weird one. My dealer-installed Clear Bra looks fine with the naked eye... but wearing Polarized sunglasses, there seems to be darker areas and lighter areas. Perhaps something to do with heat used during application?

Any cause for concern?
BlackOptic,

This is very common and zero cause for concern. This happens with any brand of paint protection when installed over contoured surfaces. The curve/contour in the film over the body panel causes the light to refract in different ways causing a rainbow or those darker and lighter areas you mentioned. This is completely common and just shows up more on certain color cars. No cause for concern, you're all good. You may notice the same kind of effect when looking through tinted windows and you get that rainbow look with polarized lenses.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
This is a great question. Putting any brand of window tint onto plastic/gorilla glass/lexan windows could cause issues if the tint were to ever be removed. This isn't a guarantee that it would leave adhesive or damage the window if removed, it's just a chance. Because of this, when installing onto gorilla glass windows, it's recommended that the installer use a layer of blister free clear film first on the window and then install the XPEL PRIME window tint onto that. If done this way, if you were to ever remove the tint, then you would remove both layers (the tint and the blister free clear film layer) without damaging the gorilla glass window. The blister free film is designed for use on acrylic and polycarbonate surfaces. It's available for sale in 10' increments and your window tint installer should know where to purchase some. If they have questions, they can reach out to us directly at Support@XPEL.com

We absolutely recommend that our installers do a thorough inspection of the car upon delivery.
You may want to discuss the issue of tinting the “gorilla glass” with your reps because one local installer I contacted on this issue said he contacted his Xpel rep and replied to me:

”Yes they got back to me on the tint yesterday as for now they are telling us no tint on the gorilla glass until further notice. As they are trying to figure out a few things for tinting that glass.”

He went on further to say:

”I’m waiting on a straight answer if this can be done or not. We are still being told that we should not tint that glass at all. It has been attempted but with not the best results. I hope to have a real answer by Monday on the base layer and if it really will work. But the biggest problem is with the heating of the film when shrinking of the tint to the glass and the glass breaking or distortion in the layers of the glass.”
Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Spot on. My installer who does nothing but high end including all of BMW's Performance Center cars recommends doing the headlights without hesitation.
Gary,

I am considering having Extreme Colors do the PPF on my 991.1 TT. Did you do Xpel or Suntek? How much of the car did you cover?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Cross Country Package (full hood, etc.) Expel for both Porsche and BMW.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:45 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Haliax,

Thank you for bringing this up. I've circulated the findings with the sales staff and we'll get a game plan moving forward. Thank you for your patience.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 841 Likes on 418 Posts

Getting XPEL Ultimate Plus installed as we speak at Xtreme Auto Details in Chantilly, VA. Great folks to deal with there. Looking forward to finally driving without worrying too much.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
Getting XPEL Ultimate Plus installed as we speak at Xtreme Auto Details in Chantilly, VA. Great folks to deal with there. Looking forward to finally driving without worrying too much.
I'll be right behind you!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
BTW, the competence of the installer is PARAMOUNT!

NOT my car, but here is an example of cutting corners. Instead of removing the badging, they cut out holes in the PPF around the letters and numbers...

I don't understand why someone would have the rear lid done except for someone who does a lot of reversing ?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
I'll be right behind you!
Thanks again for recommending Xtreme.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I don't understand why someone would have the rear lid done except for someone who does a lot of reversing ?
Protects paints from the elements, scratches, easier to clean...it isn’t all about rock chips. YMMV
Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Moe,

Maybe you can advise me here. 911.1 Turbo. I intend to cover the rear quarter panels and the pillars. I have repaired chip damage directly behind the wheels on the bumper cover. I would prefer not to put film on the entire bumper to wrap this small area but don't see how to do it without a noticeable seam.

Should I wrap just that rear wheel well bumper cover edge and consider it a routine maintenance item?

Thanks for all of your comments on this topic.

Jim

Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Jim, I'm not Moe, but will chime in if you don't mind.
XPEL has a small piece that goes just behind the rear wheel for the 911. If you go to XPEL's website and put in your car details, you can see the different pieces they have pre-cut. Outside of that, if you want something larger, then it would be custom cut. My PPF guy recommended sticking with the pre-cut piece since it aligns with the flat part of the outside of the wheel well. Otherwise the film edge is more obvious. Either way, I would think it would need to be replaced more often.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:08 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of schmutz builds up back there. Not a bad idea at all.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:54 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I plan on having everything filmed as I don't want swirls in my jet black paint.

Quick Reply: I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...