Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

The downside is far less protection for very expensive headlights.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I couldn’t be happier I wrapped my car except for the rear spoiler and engine cover. When I come back from the race track and I see all the marks on the film, the rubber, the bugs, etc., I’m glad they aren’t on the paint. Plus, it takes about half the time to thoroughly wash the car compared to no film—and no swirls on the paint!

Last edited by ABusLux; 11-24-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 AM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Hi Jon, thank you for your comments!

Here are some answers:

1. I specifically asked the installer NOT to disassemble/remove ANY parts whatsoever, and he did not.
2. I also requested NOT to wrap the headlights, and he indicated that they never do on the 991 due to the delamination issue.
3. The total cost of the full front PPF was just under $2K.
Thanks Alex. I think I found one of the better installers near me and he was impressed with the job done on your car. He also approached #2 the same way..no coverage on headlights.

I shouldve asked, did you do anything in the rear qtr?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:30 AM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Thats BRUTAL!
Totally!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
Thanks Alex. I think I found one of the better installers near me and he was impressed with the job done on your car. He also approached #2 the same way..no coverage on headlights.

Nope, i did not. So far I have not seen any issues at all in the back after 4000 miles of fun.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by jkyrennist

Hey jky. I was wondering who you are going with in the area. I'm also in Loudoun County, VA. Expecting delivery of a Carrera T in mid November and am considering full front, a pillars, and hips only. Don't want any disassembly of any parts either. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
Hey jky. I was wondering who you are going with in the area. I'm also in Loudoun County, VA. Expecting delivery of a Carrera T in mid November and am considering full front, a pillars, and hips only. Don't want any disassembly of any parts either. Thanks in advance.
I am in the same area - but I had my installer cover the headlights (I went back and forth on this - you will see Rennlist posts for and against - but in the end I trusted my installer, he has done a ton of 991's and he recommended covering the headlights) and did a full-wrap - no seams, no edges. It looks fantastic. I've had the car for 6 months now, 3,500 miles, and no problems.

I went with Glaswerks. http://glaswerksdmv.com/

Old 10-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Thanks Hurricane. I'll check them out. They are not far from my work.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Thanks Hurricane. I'll check them out. They are not far from my work.
They have moved around a bit - their website says Rockville but I think they are now out towards Dulles. Adrian was a pleasure to deal with - he picked up my car from my driveway in an enclosed trailer and then brought it back three days later, all done. It wasn't cheap but I wanted it done to perfection. I know a couple of Rennlisters have used him with great results.

I have seen a lot of really bad PPF jobs on fellow PCA member cars. My last 991.1S had a front PPF done by the previous owner and it wasn't a great job - there were 1/2" gaps from the edge of the PPF to the edge of the frunk and fenders and headlights that really showed up on the car. This was the first time I have had PPF done to a car and for the money, I wanted it done right. Like I said, no exposed edges and it is really hard for me to tell it even has PPF unless I look really closely.

Anyways, good luck! And congrats on the car!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Hurricane. Yeah, I think I actually have been to them. Are they the same guys as Filmsource?? I talked to a guy named Mike there before. Very nice guy. I texted him just now to see. I've also been in touch with a few other well rated detailers in the area, but these guys seem like they are top notch.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Thanks again Hurricane. Yeah, I think I actually have been to them. Are they the same guys as Filmsource?? I talked to a guy named Mike there before. Very nice guy. I texted him just now to see. I've also been in touch with a few other well rated detailers in the area, but these guys seem like they are top notch.
I don't think they are the same. Anyways, Glaswerks was recommended to me by a fellow PCA'er and I was very happy with the results. Probably not cheap but I was impressed with the quality of the work and customer service was outstanding.

Good luck with wherever you go and post pics of the car when you can!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Thanks!! and will do!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:18 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Hurricane- where are some good routes to drive on near nova/Loudoun county?

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I am in the same area - but I had my installer cover the headlights (I went back and forth on this - you will see Rennlist posts for and against - but in the end I trusted my installer, he has done a ton of 991's and he recommended covering the headlights) and did a full-wrap - no seams, no edges. It looks fantastic. I've had the car for 6 months now, 3,500 miles, and no problems.

I went with Glaswerks. http://glaswerksdmv.com/

Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oklahoma ppf ???

Hey guys do you know anyone in Oklahoma or northern Texas good with ppf ??
Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by J**2
Hey guys do you know anyone in Oklahoma or northern Texas good with ppf ??
Jason's Pro Detail in Northwest Arkansas is exceptional. Not in OK or TX, but depending on where you are located might be just as close.

Quick Reply: I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...