Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my T! Impressions, Review and Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Wow, thank you all for such nice comments!!! It is great to hear such a positive response, very much appreciated!

By the way, I am particularly glad to hear all the support for the 911_T badge. When I ordered the car, that badge was the first thing that came to my mind, and that is why I ordered the car with "model designation delete", so I could have the PORSCHE centered, and I could add the logo to the grill. For those who have asked, that logo, as well as the one on the glove box, are original Porsche parts, for the 1968 Carrera T. And you can order them thru your local Porsche parts department!

I am the first to admit that I never expected the T interior to be this nice in real life. Actually it was perhaps the only thing that made me a bit worried about ordering the T. After seeing it for the first time, I honestly believe it is the nicest interior I've seen in a 911. It is funny because every time I would do a build on a Base, S or GTS, I would always choose Leather interior, deviated stitching in red, and deviated seat centers. A very expensive combo. I didn't fully realize that this version of the leather T-interior would be the exact same thing I've always wanted, but a notch above due to the striped cloth seat centers.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I like the rear badge that you added. How is it secured? Doesn’t seem like there would be much surface area for adhesive bonding.
You are right. It is almost impossible to do it with adhesive since the fins on the grill do not match the vertical part of the numbers if you put the badge fully centered. I will post some pics tomorrow of all the parts used for this. Not rocket science, but not a direct fit either.

Originally Posted by white6speed
Great car! Quick question, are the seat panels on either side of the pinstriped center, leather or cloth. It appears you ordered the leather option for like $3500?
The thigh panels on either side of the seats are also cloth, just without the stripes. The upper part of the shoulder bolsters are leather. There is quite a bit of leather on this build...

Two quick updates:

Just installed the Lid Liner on the Frunk to avoid a "gnid". Gnid: Reverse ding, or a ding made inside out of the frunk. Time to install: about 1 minute. Tools: Your thumb to push in plastic fasteners.

And, after careful consideration, I caved in and decided to do full-frontal clear bra. Fortunately my installer just got the new Xpel Ultimate Plus which is incredibly clear and from what I saw, almost impossible to detect. I will pick up my car tonight and give an update on that too!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:41 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, love it. Congrats that’s a great build!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Beautiful car. Enjoy!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Gorgeous spec! First .2 I've lusted after enjoy it in good health!!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:48 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Fantastic!! Congrats on a beauty, enjoy in good health. Really like your spec, the "R" style badge on the rear decklid looks ace.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Very nice! Hope to see you around town.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:12 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Beautiful car and very nice additions !! I have never reverse dented my 911 but it's nice to know that something exists to thwart it. Enjoy that first 911 ! It's truly a special experience .
Old 04-28-2018, 01:25 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Here's one more mod I've wanted to do since I ordered the car. For some reason, the only piece of leather without deviated stitching is the Shifter boot. So for the last few weeks I searched all over for the exact thread used in the T interior pack.

And here it is, deviated stitching!

Before:

Name:  photo994.jpg
Views: 3757
Size:  1.79 MB

Name:  photo457.jpg
Views: 3731
Size:  1.67 MB

After:

Name:  photo622.jpg
Views: 3782
Size:  1.59 MB

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:38 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow did you stitch the red thread yourself?!

Looks good.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Now you have to do the steering wheel...
Old 04-28-2018, 01:54 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
Now you have to do the steering wheel...
You may be kidding... but I actually thought about it! But not for now. It is waaaay more complicated, and expensive if you mess it up!
Old 04-28-2018, 02:00 AM
Macduc
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
You may be kidding... but I actually thought about it! But not for now. It is waaaay more complicated, and expensive if you mess it up!
Don’t leave us hanging.....how did you do that! Looks awesome. Can you do one in yellow!!
Old 04-28-2018, 02:06 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macduc
Don’t leave us hanging.....how did you do that! Looks awesome. Can you do one in yellow!!
Really is not that hard. You just need the thread (T90 Bonded Polyester), needles (size 14/18) and lots of patience. It took me around 2 hours to do it. Hardest part was... removing the shifter!

I've been doing leather crafts as a hobby for some time, so the skills came in handy.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:17 AM
Macduc
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that is impressive (and beyond me I think). Very jealous - looks great and really finishes off the interior. I’ve been on the fence on the colour for a while - Racing Yellow vs Miami Blue and just the last few weeks I started looking closer at GT Silver. Seeing yours has made me go with the GT Silver. The other colours are great too - but I love the way the Silver and the T grey graphics / mirrors / rims etc go together.

You have made yours look even better! Congrats.

Last edited by Macduc; 04-28-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

I know that you can't remove the PCM in the U.S. due to Federal regulations requiring a backup camera.

But something just reminded me of a fun fact: Over the last 20 years or so, every time I got a new car, particularly in the later years, the first thing I would do was to setup my personal preferences on the PCM like radio stations, save seat position, door lock/unlock, etc. Then test the stereo with multiple inputs, and then, I would go out and start enjoying the car.

Yesterday I realized that I've been driving the T and have not setup ONE thing on the car. Heck, haven't even turned on the radio!!!! I have been so enthralled with the sound of the car itself, that I did not care to turn on the radio, or check the maps, or anything else!

Quite frankly, perhaps PCM delete may be too much, but I would have definitely, absolutely and positively have lived with the base radio without Bose / Burmester upgrade at all.

Also two other interesting bits: First time my daughter (17) sees the car (she's seen many 911's before) walks around the back, and lo and behold, stops dead center on the back of the car and says "whoa! what is that rear glass??? I've never seen a rear glass so clear before! Why is that?" Well, that is the "Lightweight Glass", that has no defroster lines, and looks super clean. Can't believe she noticed the difference.

Since my 19 year old son came back from college for the weekend, and is a car nut like me, we went out to take a drive. And this is a kid that drives everyday Porsches, Ferrari's, Bentley's, etc. No, not as a Valet, but as a professional photographer for high-end dealerships. So first thing he notices is the print on the shift **** (cool, he knows!), and as soon as he starts driving notices the nice crisp shifter action, super smooth!. And for the same strange reason, comments how this one feels different, unlike a regular 911. Perhaps the Porsche elusive Pixie Dust?

Finally he reluctantly gave me the keys back and says "you are going to keep this one forever!" Let's hope so!

Quick Reply: Finally got my T! Impressions, Review and Mods!