Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 GTS or 17 S

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the others, testing the cars yourself is the way to go. You may be surprised by what you like and don't like. When I go for test drives I'm always shocked that the cars are usually not quite what I had expected, for better or worse.

Personally I'd pick a 991.2 with the turbo engine every day of the week. I love Porsche NA engines, but only in the GT cars. The NA regular cars don't do anything for me, which is why prior to the 991.2 I got the turbo or the GT3 and skipped the base/S/GTS. The 991.2 is the first time I felt like I didn't have to step up to the turbo/GT3. What they've done with these cars is absolutely amazing, IMHO.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it comes down as to how you intend to drive. In November, I had the similar delima, buy a 17 S. PDK or MT 15 GTS. I am beyond ecstatic how much fun the GTS is. But as stated, it comes down how you prefer to drive and have fun, I love going from 3k and hitting 7.5k, hit second, 3rd, etc and all the while listening to that sweet and exhilarating sound on this NA engine, it's like sex on wheels and its addicting. It's so much fun, I literally drive like this whenever I can, so pick based on what you think will be the best FUN factor. The 17S is faster, no doubt, but fun factor in my MT GTS is worth so much more.

I would say the GTS pdk will be just as fantastic.

good luck and keep us posted, love to find out what you picked.

A
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Then there is the other group of 911 owners that have the previous model that will be very resistant to and bash the newest models for a litany of reasons, but usually they wind up touting the newer model as the latest, greatest 911 when they trade in the old for the new and realize the newer is actually better.
This behavior isn't exclusive to 911 owners. I see it on every car forum I participate in. Doesn't matter if it's a luxury brand or even entry level SUVs like a Toyota RAV4. Always makes me laugh when I read them.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:56 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Just an update, the 991.2 is manual 7 speed transmission while the 991.1 GTS is PDK and is listed on cars.com as M/T

I slightly prefer PDK but do not mind manual as I drove this type of transmission for 25 years.
PDK is a bit of a bore for the kind of driving you are describing and intended use of the car. The manual in my 991.2 4s is superb. Light clutch and very easy shifter.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
PDK is a bit of a bore for the kind of driving you are describing and intended use of the car. The manual in my 991.2 4s is superb. Light clutch and very easy shifter.
I find the PDK to be a lot of fun. I always shift it manually though. I'm on my fifth dual clutch car with another one coming, and I haven't gotten tired of them yet. I grew up with manuals, but I like how easy it is to extract the performance from the car with the dual clutch. I guess it's just a different philosophy, I love to go fast with little effort vs. having to work hard for it and worry about shifting perfectly.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

This can go nowhere good..,
Old 04-23-2018, 04:11 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yup. OP just needs to drive both variants and see what he prefers. That's about it.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the wide body of the GTS...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Indeed!
I have no aversion to PDK. I think it is a superb gearbox and if I had to deal with lot of traffic, I would have picked that in a heartbeat.
The manual is very sweet as well and it is just a personal preference. Somehow shifting gears without pressing a clutch pedal is alien to me. Too old school I guess.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I drove the 15 GTS with the PDK this afternoon and I loved it, it is such a great car and definitely an upgrade over the 08 911 4S automatic cabriolet that I drove previously,
This car is sharp and confident in its handling, I was thoroughly impressed as I am coming from a Luxury SUV my current daily driver. Acceleration is good enough for me even though I expected little bit more from it, Engine is a little bit noisy but I perfectly understand it is a sport car and a Porsche, but definitely won't be a deciding factor for me. Loved the options that came with car and the space inside is just right for me, I am 6 foot tall. The color is agate grey which is not my favorite, but the car has some reddish stripes on the side to make it look racy. I am not sure if it is stock or add on, however I have seen these same stripes on another vehicle online. Interior is black with red stitching, really gorgeous,

I have not driven the 17 911 S as it is at another dealer the other side of town, I hope I will have some time to do that in the next 3 days, but very excited to say the least.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:37 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Those GTS’s don’t last long on the lot...
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Just remember, you can’t go wrong! Both cars are fantastic and whatever choice you make will be the right choice for you! At the end of the day, yours is the only opinion that matters. After you drive both I bet you will know. I did.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Ok, I drove the 15 GTS with the PDK this afternoon and I loved it, it is such a great car and definitely an upgrade over the 08 911 4S automatic cabriolet that I drove previously,
This car is sharp and confident in its handling, I was thoroughly impressed as I am coming from a Luxury SUV my current daily driver. Acceleration is good enough for me even though I expected little bit more from it, Engine is a little bit noisy but I perfectly understand it is a sport car and a Porsche, but definitely won't be a deciding factor for me. Loved the options that came with car and the space inside is just right for me, I am 6 foot tall. The color is agate grey which is not my favorite, but the car has some reddish stripes on the side to make it look racy. I am not sure if it is stock or add on, however I have seen these same stripes on another vehicle online. Interior is black with red stitching, really gorgeous,

I have not driven the 17 911 S as it is at another dealer the other side of town, I hope I will have some time to do that in the next 3 days, but very excited to say the least.
The tiptronic is dated and does not belong in a modern sports car. Little wonder why your experience in the 997.1 was less than exhilarating. I am a manual guy and raced manual 911s since the 80s and everyone of my 911s were manual until 2012 when I purchased a 2012 turbo with pdk. By then, I had a few F1s and egears which really add to the high-strung, exotic, race-like, super car feel of Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Doesn’t work quiet as well in 911s (seat position, sound and feel) but the pdk is a great transmission.

If content with NA, I would drive and look seriously at a super clean CPO 2012 GTS. The 997.2 just has a different feel and I have been looking for a low mileage 997.2 GTS aero kit in white or black for a while now to purchase, put on my lift and put back for a while. I personally would pick the 997.2 GTS over the 991.1, especially since it costs less and will hold its value better over time. They have appreciated here in the last year or so.

I got to drive a 991.1 GTS 4 Targa for about a month. I really like the Targa looks, but I prefer the more useable torque curve of forced induction and picked up 991.2 turbo.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Hello Porsche Enthusiasts,

I am a newbie but have been lurking around and educating myself for a while as I am seriously considering a 911 purchase.

Always loved Porsche but never owned one for family reasons, now at 61 I would like to buy one sol don't regret that I have not owned a Porsche during my lifetime.

I need your opinions as to which one to go for as I am torn between these two Vehicles

2015 911GTS M/T 22000 miles, CPO
2017 911S M/T plenty of options 2100 miles (Chrono, full leather, High end Burmister, adaptive seats, premium package and so on).

Price wise they are within one thousand between them, so it is not a factor.

For me no track or racing, just cruising around and punch it once a while. Prefer the softer ride.

Driven 997.2 but no 991 and will do that shortly

Typically keep the car 2 to 3 years then trade it in.

I appreciate your input.
I would need to know a little more about the build sheets for both cars. Does the 991.2 have PSE? What is the condition of the 991.1? Does it look like it has 22k miles (worn, etc) or does it look like the previous owner really, really took good care of it? Any dings, dents, rock chips, scratches? How is wear on the seats?

I am more of a PDK guy so that would be the deciding factor for me. If they were both PDK, for the same money I would probably lean towards the 991.2S - two years newer and 20k less miles, since you mentioned that it had a pretty nice build. If the miles were lower on the GTS or the build was really special and the condition immaculate, I might be swayed towards the 991.1. (I believe in buying the newest, lowest mileage one possible, all other things equal.) So many other things to consider, though - colors, etc. too.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove the 991.2 this afternoon, it is manual transmission and I did not feel very comfortable with that as I have not driven manuals for almost 15 years, I did fine but was thinking about the shifting more than I want to. I would have to say though the clutch was light and the 7 speed manual shifted flawlessly and felt great, I cannot recall the manuals that I have driven before were as good as this one. The car was more quite and felt smoother than the 991.1 GTS, however I enjoyed driving the GTS more and it felt more powerful to me. The GTS has nicer finish and a glass roof with sunroof, the 911 S has the tin roof and no sunroof, but it has the cooled seat feature (perforated leather) while the GTS has only the heated seats (Alcantara). Test drives was mostly on freeways and I did punch both cars.

Below are the options packages for each car

Base - 2015 911 Carrera GTS
027 - Instrument Dials In Carmine Red
088 - GTS Interior Package
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 - 20" Carrera S Wheels
581 - Luggage Net In Passenger Footwell
583 - Smoking Package
638 - ParkAssist (Front And Rear) With Reversing Camera
653 - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof In Glass
840 - SportDesign Steering Wheel
GQ - Black Leather Interior Incl. Alcantara GTS Package In Carmine Red
N0 - Agate Grey Metallic
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) With Memory Package
P3H - BOSE Audio Package
P3J - Premium Package Plus I.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way W/ Alcantara)
XAA - Aerokit Cup
XAJ - Side Skirts Painted
XD9 - Wheels Painted In Exterior Color I.c.w. Carrera S Wheels
XES - Preparation Door-sill Guards, Illuminated
XHM - Center Console Trim In Carbon Fiber
XNS - Steering Column Casing In Leather
XUB - Headlight Cleaning System Covers In Exterior Color
XXB - Door-Sill Guards In Stainless Steel, Illuminated
XXG - Clear Glass Taillights

And for 2017 911 S
Seat heating (front)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Seat Ventilation (Front)
Roof Transport System
Smoking package
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Porsche Entry & Drive
Power Steering Plus
Model Designation "911"
Two-tone leather interior
9VJ
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
BT
Leather Interior in Black/Luxor Beige
CXM
Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather
EKC
Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
N5
Night Blue Metallic
P3P
Sport Package
QH1
Voice Control
XFJ
Instrument dials in White
XGM
Sport Chrono Clock Dial in White
XRD
20" Carrera Sport Wheels
XUB
Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color
XXP
Tinted Taillights
XYB
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish

Each car has it pros and cons, and at this time I am leaning more towards the GTS (better color and interior), but will give it a final thought this evening, I should have one of them in my garage this coming weekend.

Quick Reply: 15 GTS or 17 S