Sponsored by:

Wheel/Tire Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I have trouble understanding these plans... I’ve had the 991 for like 4 years and I think I’ve picked up one puncture? $250 for a new tire and $50 deductable if I had purchased a plan means I’d get maybe $200 back from the four digit cost of the plan?

I always avoid insurances for things that are low-cost though.
It all depends on the area where you live. I did not have tire damage, I ended up having rim damage (and a very bad one too). Getting the same rim was challenging ordeal, eventually I found it online. In my area, these insurance plans pay dividends as the roads are just bad (worse than some poor third world country).
Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
It all depends on the area where you live. I did not have tire damage, I ended up having rim damage (and a very bad one too). Getting the same rim was challenging ordeal, eventually I found it online. In my area, these insurance plans pay dividends as the roads are just bad (worse than some poor third world country).
You do understand that insurance companies are in business to make money. Off you or the next guy. No insurance company "pays dividends" in your area or anyone else's area, or else they wouldn't be in business. The probability of tire damage in NY relative to North Carolina is baked into the cost of the policy. I agree with the post farther above, I only buy insurance for big ticket items that would potentially alter my life or lifestyle in the case of a catastrophic loss.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Who did you get yours through?
Sound like a good plan for CL on GTS. Cosmetic too? Deductible?

I paid $1495 for 60 months for my CL GTS which included wheel cosmetic (optional).
Only 50.00 deductible each use.

I'm also from SE Michigan...my Ann Arbor Porsche dealer found best rate through "Audi Pure Protection".
Porsche administered T&W plan includes cosmetic, through Porsche of A2, $50 deductible on new 18’

Old 04-14-2018, 09:02 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

I think it is ridiculous that Porsche makes 20 inch wheels standard on the S models without an option for minus one sizing. I ran winter wheels and tires with 19 inch wheels and narrower 295 section tires in the rear this winter (in my C4S) and the ride is much more comfortable. If one lives in pothole country, seems a waste to have extremely low profile wheels and tires that are susceptible to damage. Ride is compromised and have to deal with the harsher ride, wheel damage and waste (even if insurance picks up the tab).
Old 04-14-2018, 10:57 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I have trouble understanding these plans... I’ve had the 991 for like 4 years and I think I’ve picked up one puncture? $250 for a new tire and $50 deductable if I had purchased a plan means I’d get maybe $200 back from the four digit cost of the plan?

I always avoid insurances for things that are low-cost though.

While I somewhat agree to only insure big things....I looked at this as too good to pass up on the expensive Centerlock Porsche wheels.

Matter of fact, I just had my first screw in wheel last week. I am at 1400 miles in new car.
Insurance will not patch, only replace with brand new N1 spec matching tire.

OEM N-spec tire was just over $400.00 plus 75 labor to mount and balance.
If this happens on side of road, insurance pays for flatbed to dealership.

My take...the cost for wheel/tire insurance is paid for after 3 events conservatively speaking.
Above and beyond that, any curbing/cosmetic issue is covered as well. One CL wheel is $2k replacement.
Since my coverage is 5-years and transferable to next owner...
it's not a bad 'investment' imo for those who actually plan to drive the car and not have it as garage queen.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally took delivery yesterday and negotiated the insurance contract keeping the advice that I received here in mind. I am quite satisfied although, of course, I can't be certain that I actually did well. Keep in mind that I live in the Northeast where potholes are a huge menace and that I drive the car all year.

Bottom line: Tire and rim protection, paintless dent removal and key replacement for five years for $2,500.

Tire and Rim Protection is limited.
  • "Repair or replacement for tires and/or wheels due to impact with road hazards such as pothole, nails, glass, road debris, etc. including cosmetic damage. Cosmetic coverage is defined as "anything that alters the appearance of the wheel/trim."

So far so good but:
  • "All 'wheel/trim' repairs will be made on-site at a dealership location utilizing an authorized wheel/trim repair network. Wheels/Rims requiring a remanufacture process due to extensive damage will be sent to a remanufacturing center. Wheels/Rims will be repaired whenever possible, un-repairable wheels/rims with the like kind or quality of the vehicles original wheels/rims. The Repair Network will determine the best repair process the claim, ie: cosmetic, straightening, remanufacture or replacement."
So, the tire replacement sounds good but the coverage of the wheels, less so. The dent repair and key replacement are nice but not all that important to me.

What do you think?

Last edited by FI Flyer; 04-22-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire Insurance