Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: Check High-Level Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023 | 06:28 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Roon
You're right, I should probably cut back some of the tape to check on the wiring I can't see. And using heat shrink would be the way to go. How/where are you routing the excess wiring, in the same route as the OEM wiring?
I don't plan on replacing the entire harness if I don't have to that would be like work and not a DIY fun...LOL!
I just hope I see something when I do cut back the sheathing tape on the wiring, because if not, I may just need to go further down the line, which means removing more parts...and that's like work..LOL!
Based on all the other owners that have experienced the same issue, I am sure you will find the wires broken at the same place. I too was wondering about that until I cut back the wrap to expose the wires. I basically cut a few inches off each wire, at each end and then spliced a longer chunk in as it was easier to work with. I used the heat shrink solder splices that use low temp solder to join the wires and it heat shrinks around the wires to make a weatherproof seal. I then used the heat shrink tube over the complete connection. I didn't route it back around the hinge point to help keep it stress free but it is fairly clean in appearance in the end. I took the excess and stuffed it up into the cutout on the spoiler where it runs up to the light and then used a black wire tie to fasten it in place to keep it secure. I keep checking it and everything is fine.
The following users liked this post:
ealingj (09-11-2023)
Old 08-05-2023 | 09:55 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmarino
Based on all the other owners that have experienced the same issue, I am sure you will find the wires broken at the same place. I too was wondering about that until I cut back the wrap to expose the wires. I basically cut a few inches off each wire, at each end and then spliced a longer chunk in as it was easier to work with. I used the heat shrink solder splices that use low temp solder to join the wires and it heat shrinks around the wires to make a weatherproof seal. I then used the heat shrink tube over the complete connection. I didn't route it back around the hinge point to help keep it stress free but it is fairly clean in appearance in the end. I took the excess and stuffed it up into the cutout on the spoiler where it runs up to the light and then used a black wire tie to fasten it in place to keep it secure. I keep checking it and everything is fine.
Sounds like you did a good job here!
Did you use stranded wires of solid wires?
I'm hoping the weather will cool off soon, and then I'll do this DIY, right now it's just too hot!
In fact it is now 7:50p and the temp outside is 102...yay!

Thanks for the tips and process you went through!
Old 09-10-2023 | 01:50 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

amazing thread! ive had this problem for over a year, and fixed it last night thanks to this thread.
The following users liked this post:
ealingj (09-11-2023)
Old 07-08-2024 | 01:39 AM
bmxtreme
Pro

A little off topic, does the under spoiler brake light active while the spoiler is down? Does it light up even when the spoiler is down?
Old 07-08-2024 | 07:19 AM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

That only comes works when the spoiler goes up. The higher brake light works when the spoiler is down.
The purpose for the lower brake light is, when it goes up the spoiler will block the top brake like and the person behind you may not see the third brake light, hence the lower light comes on when the spoiler is up.
At least that's how I understand this. If the lower spoiler brake light doesn't work when it goes up, you'll get a message in your cluster.

Quick Reply: Warning: Check High-Level Brake Light