Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change over valve and PSE while they're in there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:53 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Change over valve and PSE while they're in there?

I'm bringing my 2014 4S to my local dealer tomorrow for what I believe will be a changeover valve issue (car is under CPO warranty). I got a "Fault Cooling System; Visit Repair Shop" warning yesterday.

My car doesn't have PSE, but it's on my list of eventual upgrades. Questions:
  1. Will there be any financial benefit to adding PSE while they're doing the fix for the changeover valve?
  2. Is there any way to get the dealer to NOT install or charge me for those silly exhaust tips that come with the PSE package? Aren't they $900 worth of nothing? I know you could argue that the whole PSE is $4000 worth of nothing, but I want the sound, not the tips!
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The tips are another size/spacing than the non-PSE ones, so you can't reuse the old ones. If you break apart the PSE "kit" and go a la carte, the broken out price of each item is much higher.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:31 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
The tips are another size/spacing than the non-PSE ones, so you can't reuse the old ones. If you break apart the PSE "kit" and go a la carte, the broken out price of each item is much higher.
I've read otherwise re: tips. Check out this thread. It's all good info, but the part about the tip fit starts on post #60. That thread also talks about a la carte being cheaper. Why is a dealer locked into a "kit?" Shouldn't they be able to install whatever pieces are necessary? Does Porsche only sell it as a kit and dealers don't have access to the necessary parts otherwise?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I forgot to advise about the other part of the question. It depends on which change-over valve they are addressing as to whether or not there would be any potential labor cost savings. I'd just ask the dealer what kind of a price break they might give you rather than ask for our opinions here. Ultimately they are the ones that will decided whether or not to give you a break to get the "sale". It's likely to late anyway since I doubt they keep PSE systems sitting around in stock.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Changeover valve is easy. Will not save you any money by doing at the same time as an exhaust.

It's merely an electrical plug.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:38 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I forgot to advise about the other part of the question. It depends on which change-over valve they are addressing as to whether or not there would be any potential labor cost savings. I'd just ask the dealer what kind of a price break they might give you rather than ask for our opinions here. Ultimately they are the ones that will decided whether or not to give you a break to get the "sale". It's likely to late anyway since I doubt they keep PSE systems sitting around in stock.
Well I haven't given them the car yet. Is there any way to tell which valve is the culprit before handing it over? Any symptoms I could look for?

I know they say one symptom is that the HVAC system stops throwing heat. (I will check for this when I get home)
Another is that the exhaust note starts to sound different. (I do think this is happening, although it's tough to tell - I've only had the car for a few weeks)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:43 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I've read otherwise re: tips. Check out this thread. It's all good info, but the part about the tip fit starts on post #60. That thread also talks about a la carte being cheaper. Why is a dealer locked into a "kit?" Shouldn't they be able to install whatever pieces are necessary? Does Porsche only sell it as a kit and dealers don't have access to the necessary parts otherwise?
Maybe I'm wrong about the 991.1 kit. I priced out all of the parts for a separate parts for a PSE install on my 997.1 and the individually priced pieces were over 2x the cost of the kit (I was trying to decide between buying the kit versus using a mix of used parts I had found and supplementing with new parts for the missing ones).

And again maybe I'm wrong about the tips and am remembering the 997.2 tips. They certainly had different sized outlets for the loud pipe and the more muffled pipe.

I guess maybe I should just be quiet now and let someone else that did a PSE retrofit on a 991 speak up. Sorry for the potentially misleading answers... I'll be quiet now

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 PM
kevincarreras
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you noticed that the exhaust note starts to sound differently, then it could be the vacuum line is loose. i'd check the passenger exhaust valve and vacuum first as this one is usually the culprit.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Call Sunocast Same Size

If you have the S model the tips are the exact same size, I had the guy at Suncoast measure. All you need is the replacement center muffler the side mufflers are the same. You also need some misc bits and the switch. Go to an indie for this and save 2K.

Nope
Old 04-10-2018, 09:27 AM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
If you have the S model the tips are the exact same size, I had the guy at Suncoast measure. All you need is the replacement center muffler the side mufflers are the same. You also need some misc bits and the switch. Go to an indie for this and save 2K.

Nope
Tubi Style. That is all
Old 04-10-2018, 12:22 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Bud Taylor;14931248]If you have the S model the tips are the exact same size, I had the guy at Suncoast measure. All you need is the replacement center muffler the side mufflers are the same. You also need some misc bits and the switch. Go to an indie for this and save 2K.

+1 on this.
I just installed the PSE onto my car the other weekend (a post to follow with some tips from my experience to follow after the dealer programs it). According to a German, the tips probably don't fit. But the $1000 I saved says otherwise. I'm as **** as they come, and the tip does have enough of a gap where if you shine a light from the engine towards the rear of the car, you can see light coming through the gap between the muffler and the tips. I hear you can probably adjust to fix it, but for all intensive purposes, it fits. You can only see this gap if you are at ground level, and an light is shining directly behind the tips. If someone has an extra grand they want to throw it my way. The Top Ramen diet I've had to live on to afford this car is starting to get old...
Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The S tips do have close to a 1/2" gap on one of the two tips where they connect to the muffler. The inner ones on each side that don't have a clamp. You don't get 100% closure and a seal for the exhaust out the tip. Some exhaust is escaping and going under the bumper.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I had my PSE installed two years ago on my C4S. The dealer tried to convince me that my stock tips would not work. But based on my internet research I asked him to double check. Twice. Eventually he agreed and did the install without the expensive PSE tips. As for the above comment about a gap. That's the first I am hearing of this and I have certainly never noticed any such gap. If it is there it is invisible and thus I appreciate the $1000 I saved.

One thing to note, my stock tips are the optional "sport" tips which are chrome and as I understand it they are nothing more than chromed versions of the regular SS tips. They were an $800 option on the original factory build. (not my build!)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:14 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Got my car back this evening. As kevincarreras predicted, above, it was a loose vacuum line. Fixed quickly and without incident, but also without any potential savings for a PSE install... so no PSE for me! At least not yet.

As an aside, I also mentioned my horribly creaky sunroof. They said that the current service bulletin requires a specific grease to lube the mechanism which, of course, they did not have on-hand. Instead of waiting for it to be ordered and delivered, I opted to bring my car home and live with it until the next time I need to bring it in.

There is also a weird issue with my interior rear view mirror which has a sort of hazy hue to it. It's not crystal clear. I mentioned it to the service rep, but they didn't do anything to fix it and I forgot to ask about it. Any thoughts what this might be? I'll probably start a new thread about it, especially if I can somehow snap a picture of it.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Suncoast

The guy at Suncoast says they are identical dimensions when measured with a Micrometer so I'm not sure you have a data point ? Mine fit perfectly and looked to have an identical gap (we measured, albeit with a tape).

Originally Posted by STG
The S tips do have close to a 1/2" gap on one of the two tips where they connect to the muffler. The inner ones on each side that don't have a clamp. You don't get 100% closure and a seal for the exhaust out the tip. Some exhaust is escaping and going under the bumper.

Quick Reply: Change over valve and PSE while they're in there?