Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 PSE: do you folks really like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

It does sound a little too much gurgling for me
Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not a huge fan of the PSE, nor the overruns... the whole system produces manufactured noises. Now before I get flamed, that's just my opinion.

The monolithic header design produces a muffled exhaust note that the PSE just exaggerates further. Swapping to an equal length header like on the Kline system really changes the exhaust note and pulses. I am going to try the headers with some sport cats and see how the PSE sounds after.

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-10-2018, 10:41 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with the OEM headers......is not the way that they look its the way that they flow.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
Nothing wrong with the OEM headers......is not the way that they look its the way that they flow
Both aftermarket applications have superior collectors and flow. Dyno's can prove this and as you start to see more tuned cars it will be even more obvious.

Klines offering has equal length runners as well.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

my .1S w PSE sounds a lot better to my humble ears. Its throatier, deeper, meaner and less crackly.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Both aftermarket applications have superior collectors and flow. Dyno's can prove this and as you start to see more tuned cars it will be even more obvious.

Klines offering has equal length runners as well.
Really, it depends on how good the OEM set up is in the first place. For example the .2 vehicles have welded double-wall exhaust manifolds made of stainless steel sheet with air-gap insulation and 3-in-1 merging (robust through beading of inner shell). Low heat radiation is achieved through the double wall and an air gap.

Some are poor, some are good - nothing wrong with the Porsche set up, its not restrictive.

Kline wont post their dyno results - why?

FWIW, I asked in their thread and they didn't respond with before and after dyno plots.

Last edited by RRDnA; 04-11-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Meh. PSE or not does not matter much to me. And the idea of a truly "significant" exhaust note does not really appeal any more. In younger days I had headers and minimal exhaust on street cars and open pipes on race cars. Now I just like fast. I guess when I stop liking fast you can put me in the home.

This about covers it for me. I don't want my car to fart, or have huge wings......... Don' t crave the boy racer look or sound any longer, in fact I crack up at people that drive in traffic and rev their cars to the moon just to let everybody else "enjoy" the sound. If I'm at the track, completely different story, in traffic and public, I like to act my age....then again maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.....

edit: failed to point it out, but I'm sure you can tell, my car is not equipped with PSE.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

overall , I enjoy the 991 era ECU-programmed crackles and burbles on higher rpm held-gear overruns , but the between-gears UPSHIFTING farting in crawling-speed stop and go traffic in the first video is rather " coffee cans on a Honda Civic " , imo
also , is the squealing turbo spool-up really that audible at every gentle throttle tip-in ( as heard between 1:15-1:45 ) in real life w windows down ?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:13 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
overall , I enjoy the 991 era ECU-programmed crackles and burbles on higher rpm held-gear overruns , but the between-gears UPSHIFTING farting in crawling-speed stop and go traffic in the first video is rather " coffee cans on a Honda Civic " , imo
also , is the squealing turbo spool-up really that audible at every gentle throttle tip-in ( as heard between 1:15-1:45 ) in real life w windows down ?
Turbos are indeed audible when accelerating from low rpms. Above 3000 rpms, I can’t hear them.

Quick Reply: 991.2 PSE: do you folks really like this?