Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put on my front plate.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:51 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ I have a rho plate V2 with extended bracket as my tow hook plate holder. It does not interfere with the sensors. I use it when going to San Francisco bc parking maids will find any excuse to ticket you. Local cops don't care
Old 04-08-2018, 05:26 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
That's a great idea and would use that except for a complicating factor for me.

I had to do something different with my GTS. Many times I run the car with a front plate, sometimes I do not. That depends on where I am going and what I am doing. The complicating factor for me is I have a laser system and there is a sensor in the middle of the front bumper cover. MUSICAR made the components and I did the installation. I asked MUSICAR to make the center sensor mountable using rare earth magnets. I needed an arrangement that would allow using the front tag or not, but always using the front sensor. The pictures show what I wound up with. In the photo with the plate, it's difficult to see but the sensor is below the plate. The aluminum angle with magnets is what holds the sensor when using the plate. When not using the plate, there are magnets inside the bumper cover to hold the sensor in place. MUSICAR machined a slot in the sensor which mates with the plate frame alignment 'finger' and is always centered on the car, although the magnets guarantee the sensor will always go back to the same spot. The black tape is 1/16" closed cell foam used for cushioning to make sure there is no direct magnet to bumper contact which might cause abrasion. I had the front bumper cover off for the laser installation so adding the magnets was no big deal. There are 7 high strength magnets holding the plate mount and it takes quite a tug to get it off. The backside of the plate mount is ugly because I tried a few different magnet locations before I landed on the final locations for them. No one sees the backside of the plate mount so it being ugly doesn't matter.
Wow nice solution. My car is even more complicated as I have the active cruise control radar sensor in the middle and I'm thinking about installing the ALP as well. I will contact musicar to see if they have a solution. I'll probably be mounting the center plate permanently since the whole setup is so complicated already.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by ervinwu
I don't get why people purposefully cover their license plates. It's no different than driving with no license plates, no?
Not sure what ya mean. I don’t think anyone here is talking about covering their plate while driving.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
So do I. I would rather pay a periodic fine than put any plate on the front. I mounted my millworks like you suggested above but it still interfered with the sensors. Might be an option if you are worried about periodic road trips or something. Glad I live in a state with no front plate requirement.
I hear you. I have the feeling that I will be removing the plate after this trip, as most of the local LEO’s around here don’t seem to care. I’m just putting it on since I’m going to an area where I know they are waiting. The tape is easy but it’s not as easy as screwing in a tow hook mount.

Other good thing about the tow hook mount is that you can run it a bit and get it dirty, then take it off and put in the trunk with the plate on it. If you get pulled over you can always try the “I took it off to clean the car and forgot to put it on” routine and fix it then. Only will work if the plate is dirty, lol.

Originally Posted by visitador
^^^ I have a rho plate V2 with extended bracket as my tow hook plate holder. It does not interfere with the sensors. I use it when going to San Francisco bc parking maids will find any excuse to ticket you. Local cops don't care
Do you mind posting a pic or two? Thank you.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:13 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Do you mind posting a pic or two? Thank you.
Watching baseball but this the link:

https://www.rho-plate.com/collections/porsche
Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Watching baseball but this the link:

https://www.rho-plate.com/collections/porsche
The blue 991 in this pic looks familiar... think I saw it in my garage earlier today.

https://www.rho-plate.com/collection...e-v2-2012-2016
Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ervinwu
I don't get why people purposefully cover their license plates. It's no different than driving with no license plates, no?

They only do it in forum pictures to not show their license plate #. Scared of being stalked or something.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yeah, it's not nearly as bad with a Euro plate.

The Euro plates look like oversized freeway billboards. Why in the hell do they need to be so big??
Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, even the meter maids around here will give you a ticket for no front plate. I popped 2 small holes in the plastic, pushed in small plastic wall anchors, bent the plate to conform to curves and fitted a thin frame around the plate. I really don’t care for those silly tow hook plate mounts.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Valarr
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority, I much prefer the tow-hook mount and have the front plate mounted there on both of mine.
Goes on/off easily & imo looks better.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 150 Posts

This thread has got me thinking about ordering a bracket from Skene Designs again. Seems like it may be a bit of hassle compared to a tow mount though for (temporary) use on road trips, etc.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:55 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt

Well, even the meter maids around here will give you a ticket for no front plate. I popped 2 small holes in the plastic, pushed in small plastic wall anchors, bent the plate to conform to curves and fitted a thin frame around the plate. I really don’t care for those silly tow hook plate mounts.
OMG! I didn't think there would ever be another reason why I would not move back to CA. But this was just another OMG moment. ...and I was born there too. The government has totally destroyed a gorgeous state. SMH
Old 04-09-2018, 03:19 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
OMG! I didn't think there would ever be another reason why I would not move back to CA. But this was just another OMG moment. ...and I was born there too. The government has totally destroyed a gorgeous state. SMH
Agreed

I still live near SF, and make absolutely every reason not to go to or around SF. The place is dirty just like their politics, which matches the quality of the roads and infrastructure all over the bay area.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
This thread has got me thinking about ordering a bracket from Skene Designs again. Seems like it may be a bit of hassle compared to a tow mount though for (temporary) use on road trips, etc.
skene is a decent solution. I have used it t before, and was happy with the results.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR
Wow nice solution. My car is even more complicated as I have the active cruise control radar sensor in the middle and I'm thinking about installing the ALP as well. I will contact musicar to see if they have a solution. I'll probably be mounting the center plate permanently since the whole setup is so complicated already.
The entire team at Musicar is fantastic. Their work is very high quality, and both Nick and Tom (mainly Nick) answered a ton of questions that I had during the project. He is a very patient man, sometimes getting 3-4 calls from me in a day. Many of the calls were to get info on how to remove trim pieces without damaging them, wire routing, antenna mounting, the list goes on and on. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Put on my front plate.