Sponsored by:

PDK in traffic....how to

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 01:35 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just drive. Don't think too much. You're not hurting it.
Rightly said.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-26-2021)
Old 04-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

True except don’t let the trans hurt your engine. It will happily make the engine lug in 7th, if you’re cruising on the freeway and start up an incline, don’t forget to downshift! Especially with garbage California 91 octane gas.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:41 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks all.....Im going with this advice.

I really just recently started driving it more and getting caught in the traffic crawl so those 'warnings' about the PDK in traffic were in my head. Luckily the crawl is only about 15 mins of my overall commute.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:43 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,173 Likes on 1,834 Posts

I find some of these comments extreme. The issue with PDK and all other dual clutch transmissions is that, on normal mode, they are designed to yield fuel efficiency and so they shift a lot at low RPMs. If you were driving a manual, you’d never hit 6th gear at 30MPH and yet these transmissions do. In crawling traffic, you’ll hit 2nd and 3rd very often. Lots of gear changes means heat generation and heat is what causes premature wear. So, when you hit traffic, put it in sport+ mode and diminish the number of shifts. Voila. No need for fancy gymnastics. I’m not sure ignoring it is intelligent either.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:49 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I feel the op's pain when I rarely but of necessity drive through the ATL. Until I learned how to properly use pdk I despised it. I've done a total flip flop regarding the pdk over manual thing. Just experiment with your situation and if its like it was for me then someday it will click. Now if I can just embrace ev. Coming from a coal roller to ev is such a big change to swallow.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:51 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
OK, Boston traffic sucks but I cant leave the 991 in the garage and Ive been driving a lot in traffic

I read the previous advise about the PDK essentially engaging a clutch so to treat it like manual car: be either on or off the gas but don't let the car creep (I assume since thats essentially burning the clutch)

however, this is incredibly hard to do in traffic. In a manual I would engage the clutch gas it up to speed then coast in neutral. Whats the equivalent in a PDK? can I let the car coast but avoid putting my foot just 'slightly' on the gas?

what exactly is the damaging behavior?

I drive my pdk like a normal car. The only thing I dont do is creep up a few feet while the light is red. It seems like most drivers "tighten up the pack" while waiting for the light to change. Personally I think you are worrying about a nonexistant problem.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:36 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

PDK is a closed system with fluid-bathed clutches. You aren't going to hurt it by creeping in traffic.

Quick Reply: PDK in traffic....how to