Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet w/ Black interior - Real World Experiences - how hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:15 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabriolet w/ Black interior - Real World Experiences - how hot?

I love the 991 cabriolet and recently found one with a black interior, black leather steering wheel. My existing interior is luxor beige and mahogany trim so I was curious about the experience and heat of the black interior. I usually never leave my car parked with the top down, so my focus is on the over all steering wheel, seats and window sill feel of the cab with the top down. What are your real world experiences regarding the overall comfort? Can you share any comparisons with a lighter color interior to contrast the differences, if any?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by teambell
I love the 991 cabriolet and recently found one with a black interior, black leather steering wheel. My existing interior is luxor beige and mahogany trim so I was curious about the experience and heat of the black interior. I usually never leave my car parked with the top down, so my focus is on the over all steering wheel, seats and window sill feel of the cab with the top down. What are your real world experiences regarding the overall comfort? Can you share any comparisons with a lighter color interior to contrast the differences, if any?
I'll let you know...if summer ever comes.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:32 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

No hotter inside than any of my other black interior vehicles - that's all I buy! In fact the Cab is a little cooler in the sun than my SUV's with black interiors - perhaps because of the fabric top portions of it..
Old 04-03-2018, 01:53 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in Texas, so hot summers are the norm. I never noticed any issues on my cab that I had for 2 years, but full disclosure never opened the top when it was over 100 degrees. The ventilated seats are a must in a cab. I have a Targa now and am curious to see if it is "doable" in 100 degree weather this summer. Go for it. The top down experience in the 991 is VERY good.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM
teambell
Instructor

@drcollie, Thanks for the post. No hotter than normal contact spots? the scenario I had in my mind was the elbow on window sill and it being like a cast iron heat feel!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 PM
teambell
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmalone
I live in Texas, so hot summers are the norm. I never noticed any issues on my cab that I had for 2 years, but full disclosure never opened the top when it was over 100 degrees. The ventilated seats are a must in a cab. I have a Targa now and am curious to see if it is "doable" in 100 degree weather this summer. Go for it. The top down experience in the 991 is VERY good.
Totally agree about the top down experience, I love the 991 top!
Old 04-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

No hotter than any other car with a black interior. Adding window tint with good IR rejection helps. I also never put the top down mid day as sun is too hot in SFL.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:35 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in Texas and I have had no issues. I have alcantara seats, which helps tremendously since they never really get hot or cold, but I haven't had any issues with the leather steering wheel or other leather surfaces in the car. One thing I would never ever get again is a carbon fiber steering wheel. I had that in my 997TT, and while it looked cool, it was always too hot to touch in the summer and too cold in the winter. Just a bad idea all around.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a 981 Boxster with a black interior. Tinting the windows and leaving the top up when not driving it helps control the temps. Also, I have ventilated seats which makes a big difference in the comfort of sitting in the car when its a hot sticky day. Frankly, I doubt I'd buy a another "summer" car without the ventilated seats and just picked up my 991.2 coupe with the 18 ways with ventilation. I look forward to warm weather if it ever arrives !
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I never had problems with a black interior getting too hot (especially with ventilated seats FTW!) but the CF steering wheel could get crazy hot, though.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It may depend on where you live. No problems with the black leather interior here in Northern California so far. I had a BMW convertible with black leather interior before the 911 cabrio and that was fine too. Basically, if it isn't raining and it's below about 90 degrees, I have the top down.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Live in Florida and have top down daily, even on the hottest days.

I never leave it down when parked (can’t understand why someone would do this, but yet I see it often) so doesn’t have the direct sunlight in that regard - only when I’m in it and it is either moving or AC is going which I’m sure helps at least a bit.

I have ventilated seats which is nice, but on a hot day this is not super helpful as it does not cool the air, it simply recirculates ambient air (so if it’s hot out, the warm air is what you feel - albeit I still find this better than not having it).
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 132 Posts

Your over thinking a problem thats not a problem.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

I live in So Cal and in the summer, when it heats up, I put on the seat cooler and the AC and it is perfectly comfortable. I agree that seat coolers in a cab are a must in warm weather climates.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet w/ Black interior - Real World Experiences - how hot?