Sponsored by:

Rear Lip Spoiler on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 AM
greatcrimson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Lip Spoiler on eBay

Has anyone tried one of the rear lip spoilers that are on eBay? They look just like the Vorsteiner lip spoilers, only they are made in China and are hundreds of dollars cheaper.
Here is an example on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrera-991...RaMJcJ&vxp=mtr

And one at Vorsteiner: http://vorsteiner.com/application/po...narrow-body/#1

One thing I do notice is that they seem to state "narrow body" and I have a wide body, so I expect that I would need one that is slightly different.

Our cars are certainly worth the finer things in life, but saving hundreds of dollars for essentially the same thing is something I'd consider.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

While I personally would not put something like that on my car if you like it then go for it. I believe the rear spoiler on the narrow- and wide-body cars are identical.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

If you do decide to go the ebay route, let us know what you think of it. Paying $900 for the Vorsteiner one seems excessive to me and if I was in the market for a rear spoiler lip, I'd go with the cheaper one.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Yup, narrow body and wide body are one in the same for the Vorsteiner rear spoiler. I agree $900 is steep. If you opt to install the rear spoiler ensure you use 30 lb double-sided 3M adhesive tape.
Vorsteiner Rear Spoiler.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:08 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greatcrimson
Has anyone tried one of the rear lip spoilers that are on eBay? They look just like the Vorsteiner lip spoilers, only they are made in China and are hundreds of dollars cheaper.
Here is an example on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrera-991-Rear-Spoiler-Carbon-Trunk-Spoiler-CF-Rear-Wing-Case-For-Porsche/192396133448?hash=item2ccbb40448:g:am0AAOSwR2RaMJcJ&vxp=mtr

And one at Vorsteiner: http://vorsteiner.com/application/po...narrow-body/#1

One thing I do notice is that they seem to state "narrow body" and I have a wide body, so I expect that I would need one that is slightly different.

Our cars are certainly worth the finer things in life, but saving hundreds of dollars for essentially the same thing is something I'd consider.
People have been experimenting with these CF pieces made in China for years in the M community. Lots of people use them for their front lip spoiler because that piece is nearly guaranteed to get damaged and require replacement. They can offer nearly a identical piece at a much lower price point. They basically take a Vorsteiner piece and create the mold from the mold. Theres no R&D time in the cost, as well as much less quality control or manufacturing tolerance control.

The simpler shapes seem to fit better in general, but the pieces can vary in their finish, fit and quality. I can't see the harm in ordering one and test fitting, your linked retailer accepts returns, so theres limited risk.

I would get some 3M double sided tape for fitting and just make sure you inspect it carefully and test fit it. I can't see a piece as simple as the spoiler you're looking at having any issues as long as the CF has been laid in the mold properly and the fiber orientation is correct for the shape of the spoiler.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:39 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

This lip spoiler looks like direct attached to the edge of factory spoiler, how does it look when wing deployed? Will it affect aero efficiency?
Old 04-01-2018, 08:00 PM
myamymy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I bought the same spoiler but the painted version from eBay (not sure if it is the same seller).

The only thing I did before installing was removed the double sided tape that it came with and used 3M double sided tape. It has been 2 years and no issues. I am a happy camper
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 PM
2FAST455
Advanced

Which vendor has the best price on the Vorsteiner. I was tempted to try the Rw Carbon piece. https://www.rwcarbon.com/66/9/0/846/...k-spoiler.html. I would rather buy the real deal but $900 does seem excessive.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:03 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 132 Posts

I have this on my C4S and actually have a spare. Mine are genuine Vorsteiner. I am selling the car and will be selling all my vorsteiner carbon. PM me if interested will list in marketplace soon.

Brixton wheels will be going up too.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
People have been experimenting with these CF pieces made in China for years in the M community. Lots of people use them for their front lip spoiler because that piece is nearly guaranteed to get damaged and require replacement. They can offer nearly a identical piece at a much lower price point. They basically take a Vorsteiner piece and create the mold from the mold. Theres no R&D time in the cost, as well as much less quality control or manufacturing tolerance control.

The simpler shapes seem to fit better in general, but the pieces can vary in their finish, fit and quality. I can't see the harm in ordering one and test fitting, your linked retailer accepts returns, so theres limited risk.

I would get some 3M double sided tape for fitting and just make sure you inspect it carefully and test fit it. I can't see a piece as simple as the spoiler you're looking at having any issues as long as the CF has been laid in the mold properly and the fiber orientation is correct for the shape of the spoiler.
Good Lord that is really mean. I mean V spent lots of money & time to develop the parts, and C just stole it by just copying it outright and make money out of it.

I wouldn't touch that piece of S with a pole of stick. I suggest OP to just get the real one and support innovation.

PF
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 PM
greatcrimson
AutoX

I appreciate everyone's help on this decision.

@myamymy, my plan is to purchase the spoiler and then have it painted. My car is Anthracite Brown Metallic, so being a darker color the CF won't stand out too much, but I'm really interested in the spoiler not the fact that it's CF.

I found another eBay seller who has a much better rating than the original one that I found and the price is cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...53.m1438.l2649
Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Good Lord that is really mean. I mean V spent lots of money & time to develop the parts, and C just stole it by just copying it outright and make money out of it.

I wouldn't touch that piece of S with a pole of stick. I suggest OP to just get the real one and support innovation.

PF
While I agree with your aversion to copying/stealing another company's work, I wouldn't say that Vorsteiner did a great deal of development on this part. After all I haven't seen Vorsteiner post any drag or downforce figures for its spoiler. These are basically cosmetic parts for those whose cars never see triple digits.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
While I agree with your aversion to copying/stealing another company's work, I wouldn't say that Vorsteiner did a great deal of development on this part. After all I haven't seen Vorsteiner post any drag or downforce figures for its spoiler. These are basically cosmetic parts for those whose cars never see triple digits.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

3D designs, prototypes, actual production for any parts even cosmetic still requires brain and many man hours to do so regardless of whether or not the product is tested in wind tunnels, vacuum, outer space, wild fires, deep ocean, etc. Not to mention the marketing money and time spent for customers' awareness. This is the cost of innovation.

If we give money to a thief, these jackasses will steal more and more for their own pocket. And there will be less companies that make interesting parts for our cars. We are killing innovation.

Just my 2 cents

PF
Old 04-03-2018, 04:32 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

So how does this spoiler look when the spoiler deployes? I found some pics from google but all are not very clear. It kinda looks nice when sitting there, but I’m afraid it will look goofy when the spoiler is up?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:37 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

And any recommendations for buying 3M tapes from eBay? I tried to search ‘30lbs mounting tapes’, and the results are so confusing? Any link would be appreciated

Quick Reply: Rear Lip Spoiler on eBay