Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You want 3m trim tape.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

If carbon is not your thing, here's one at least made in the USA, you can purchase it pained or primed..... https://spoilernation.com/2012-2016-...p-spoiler.html
Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexLou
And any recommendations for buying 3M tapes from eBay? I tried to search ‘30lbs mounting tapes’, and the results are so confusing? Any link would be appreciated
What you can use is the VHB or Very High Bonding tape used for automotive applications among many other uses. Here is a link I found on eBay. Select the 1.5” or 40mm tape; the length comes in 10ft. The base of the spoiler is a bit under 1.5” wide. Clean the base of the CF and car spoiler with alcohol. Apply the tape on the CF spoiler by removing only one side of the backing of the tape. When applying the tape, line up the edge of the tape just before the edges (widest side and narrow side). As you apply the tape, press firmly. One side of the CF spoiler will have tape over-hanging; that’s what you want. NOW take a sharp razor blade and trim the tape flush along the edge. MAKE SURE YOU DRY FIT YOUR CF SPOILER BEFORE APPLYING TAPE! When applying the tape it’s best surfaces are warm for better adhesion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-3M-...-/162616215472
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Thanks for agreeing with me.

3D designs, prototypes, actual production for any parts even cosmetic still requires brain and many man hours to do so regardless of whether or not the product is tested in wind tunnels, vacuum, outer space, wild fires, deep ocean, etc. Not to mention the marketing money and time spent for customers' awareness. This is the cost of innovation.

If we give money to a thief, these jackasses will steal more and more for their own pocket. And there will be less companies that make interesting parts for our cars. We are killing innovation.

Just my 2 cents

PF
My point is that this part is a spoiler, a device designed to provide an aerodynamic benefit. If it isn't tested to determine and optimize its aerodynamic properties, it's just a cosmetic bauble, much like a henna tattoo. In other words, there isn't much, if any, intellectual property to be stolen. And Vorsteiner hardly invented the spoiler, nor did the company spend a fortune, creating an awareness of spoilers, or developing a market for them. Thus, there's no innovation here.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 PM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

sidvicious7, Thank you so much for your thorough write up! ^_^ b
Old 04-03-2018, 05:41 PM
greatcrimson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Al,Fresco, I had seen that spoiler before, but was exploring the eBay route due to lower cost. However, as an update to the eBay story, I sent a message to the eBay seller asking to confirm fitment and was asked to send pictures of my car, which I did. Their response was "Hello friend, Thank you for your pictures. This item is not fit your car.". So I guess my options end up being limited.

I do agree that buying from the originator/creator of an item is important, but I also feel that just by adding “Porsche” to the description of something it adds 150% (or some unreasonable number) to the price. There are tons of similar spoilers on the market for other cars for example at Spoiler Nation there are spoilers for the current BMW 3 Series that are $189, but the current Porsche 911 spoiler starts at $399. I get that they are different cars with different engineering, etc., but why should Porsche owners have to pay a premium for essentially the same part? The same rant applies to rims and other add-on parts.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:23 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Added one to my car and like it alot. I went the Vorsteiner route vs the lesser eBay option...so far no problems and I do like the look. Subtle and a bit different than the usual options. To each his own $$ wise but I must say the obvious copied parts from overseas are probably illegal and do likely infringe upon copyright laws and I try to avoid giving them revenue if I can.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome 👍 The carbon piece is a cool addition.

How long did it take you to install it?

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

Added one to my car and like it alot. I went the Vorsteiner route vs the lesser eBay option...so far no problems and I do like the look. Subtle and a bit different than the usual options. To each his own $$ wise but I must say the obvious copied parts from overseas are probably illegal and do likely infringe upon copyright laws and I try to avoid giving them revenue if I can.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Looks awesome 👍 The carbon piece is a cool addition.

How long did it take you to install it?

Dry fit the spoiler first then cleaned the surface thoroughly. Vorsteiner uses the good 3M tape so no need to swap out/replace any of it. I did go to Autozone and buy some more to fill areas I felt that had slight gaps or needed more tape to give a better fit/adherence to. Install which is basically peeling off tape to get a bead and then firmly pressing the spoiler down while pulling out the red non-stick part (bead) that you already peeled takes maybe 5 mins; 10 tops if you are super **** and careful. I then used painters tape to secure it and add a bit of tension while the adhesive took. One thing I did add was more 3M adhesive promoter (they send you one small package but I got some more from Autozone) to ensure it bonded well and flush. Then I left everything sit for 24hrs before removing the tape and driving the car. So far no issues. Looks great now almost 15 mos out.

Quick Reply: Rear Lip Spoiler on eBay