Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im definitely subscribed. Ive moved from 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3 to 991.2 Carrera (base, 7MT, no PSE). Im a track junkie and not 100% sure how I will use my Carrera 991.2 but have been reading about 490bhp 450lbft ECU tunes, lowering springs and brake upgrade packages, add Castrol SRF, some Ferodo DS1.11 (when they are available) and Cup2N1 and from what Im hearing and those Im talking with would seem 991.2 base could keep company with GT4 etc on track but still be a better daily and back road option. Have been hard finding data from guys tracking these cars to date other than the names and contributors above but hope to see more real time data points in the future :-)

Last edited by Macca; 04-01-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Who here has been racking up track miles on their 991.2?
Hi John....I’ve been doing Sebring events...going back in May. I have a 991.2 GTS
Old 03-31-2018, 05:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I tracked a base PDK car pretty hard and had zero issues with it. The torque from these engines is great and can not wait to track my
GTS coming up!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:57 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
At this point I don't have specific additional questions above and beyond resilience on track. Given that it's a 991 and not a GT car i'm assuming the chassis feedback is the same; it probably could benefit from more camber, wider/stiffer platform and better brakes (if you're a hardcore DE guy) but has plenty of low end grunt. I was curious mostly about how they hold up in the heat. In the southeast where it's hot the heat seems to be the biggest issue for tracks like Sebring, Homestead, PBIR, Roebling, VIR and Atlanta in the summer time. I was curious about the PDK with the added torque but since it's a Porsche, i highly doubt it has issues. It's funny to go to events and see cars like the 911 and Cayman turning lap after lap after lap and coming off track only to dump in more petrol. Everywhere we go, with the exception of maybe a Ferrari, every other car comes in after about 20 minutes with smoke coming from everywhere possible due to brake fad, coolant and oil temps. I'm always impressed with how good these cars are even in bone stock trim.

Thanks for the feedback especially since you've had an RS and a GT4, of which we see a lot on track.
Yep. I have as much front camber as the stock suspension set-up will allow and a bit more in the rear. Grip is good. So far tire wear is reasonable. I find the OEM brakes fine for my usage. Once I chew thru them I'll have to decide whether to go with Pagid RS29 (like I had on the RS) or just continue to work/replace OEM which have far better street temperament. A lot is made of the PDK-S in the GT cars and it's awesome. YMMV but I find the PDK in the .2 to be tremendous as well. It's never in the wrong gear, never and I let it shift 99% of the time. The transmission is one of the aspects of the car that just works perfectly.

I'm very happy with the C2S as my only Porsche (at the moment). I expect to track the Radical 80% of the time - and that's about four or five days a month for me. The 991 is there for me to get to and from the track, introduce others to the sport and have a back-up option when the Radical is down for the count (as it happens to be right now). My guess would be that the C2S will get the equivalent of one track day a month now that the Radical has arrived. Given price, availability, comfort, etc. the C2S was the right hybrid (street/track) Porsche for me.
The following users liked this post:
Red_66 (11-17-2023)
Old 04-01-2018, 02:12 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
34 degree celsius day - recordings from sprint event.

Engine

Transmission

Boost

So oil temp is in the 114-116C range? That's impressive for a stock car. I'm so use to stock cars running much hotter temps in a track environment. How are you recording the data?
Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spdracerut
So oil temp is in the 114-116C range? That's impressive for a stock car. I'm so use to stock cars running much hotter temps in a track environment. How are you recording the data?
I use the Sports Chrono facility - the data is stored on the on board hard drive, download to USB and process off line. Very straight forward.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks like I am keeping some good company here with mdrums, Mr Wilson, Stafford, RRdna and others. Many names I know form the GT boards! I came to the 991.2 Carrera purely by accident (in between cars, not sure where to go next, took one for a drive in MT and liked it etc). In the last 12 months Ive run 20+ track days and been through a few cars on track (991 GT3, GT4, 2017 Focus RS, 2016 Renault RS275 with tune and track mods etc). So RWD, Mid RWD, FWD, AWD etc Each has been alot of fun in its own way (the Focus RS and Renault Megane RS275 being very competent in the wet with their AWD/FWD). I guess the likely outcome of all this is to end up with a dedicated track car like tstafford, using the 991.2 as a back up car at the track and occasional club car. Therefore it needs good road manners and I want the utilitarian benefits 911s are famous for (back seats, practical ride height, go anywhere do anything nature).

Its exciting to see BGB Motorsports and others taking an interest in this thread :-)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Thread really has me thinking about a T
Old 04-01-2018, 11:53 AM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve run my 991.2 C4S a few times. It’s fun and predictable. Not as fun as my GT4 CS, but great to take people for rides. I did swap out for a set of Ferodo brake pads, Motul brake fluid and I’m running Michelin PS4s. Make sure you monitor and lower your tire pressures. I’d change to SC2s if running more track time with it, but great as currently set up....I tracked my wife’s Macan S too, which wasn’t too bad....she wasn’t happy.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Macca, how about a tarmac rally stage
air temp - 26 degrees C
conditions, dry, sand, gravel, tarmac mix
length - 3.5km
engine oil temperature range - 87 degrees C to 99 degrees C
tires - P Zero N1 very worn (deliberately so)
PDK - manual mode

Stage map - blue dots = first gear, green dots = second gear, red dots = third gear - open circles lateral g (size - proportional to)

Distance (x-axis, m) Vs velocity (y-axis, kmh) and topography black line (y-axis, m)
gears as above
Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 AM
RRDnA
Banned

lateral g = green (y-axis) lineal g = red (y-axis) distance m (x-axis)

Friction circle (three runs and warm up) lineal g (y axis) lateral g (x-axis) blue = 1st gear, green = 2nd gear, red = 3rd gear.

Nice and round

Last edited by RRDnA; 04-03-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

RRdna. Thats some great data sets you have just there! I may have missed this but what telemetrics are you using? Ive used AIM and Vbox but dont seem to beable to create those.

Impressive how much sustained G you are creating on that course!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I tracked a base PDK car pretty hard and had zero issues with it. The torque from these engines is great and can not wait to track my
GTS coming up!
There it is again: Experienced driver with access to plenty of serious toys, and the base .2 Carrera holds up again.

You won't be bummed in the GTS—might just be the perfect mix of all-around street-ability with GT3~ levels of performance.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Originally Posted by Macca
RRdna. Thats some great data sets you have just there! I may have missed this but what telemetrics are you using? Ive used AIM and Vbox but dont seem to beable to create those.

Impressive how much sustained G you are creating on that course!
Hi Macca - the data is collected by the Sport Chrono system (1Hz = 1 reading per second). I then download the data via USB (its in .csv format) and plot using a package called data graph. The gs aren't too bad given the state of the tires .
Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks RRDnA. Appreciated. I might give that a go!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread