991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Nebraska, gets pretty bad here too. I drove my 911 Turbo pretty much all this winter, with winter rims/tires on it, without issue. If i have to leave the house for an emergency before any main roads are cleared, I take my wife's Macan. But driving around on snow is no big deal. Most of the days that are too bad to drive the Turbo are too bad for kids to go to school, etc... so i just work from home. I actually just bought a Vette to use as a beater for summer and winter and take some daily miles off of the Turbo. I plan on putting winter tires on it when needed and driving it year round. No worries.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Pizzeria Lola!!

Been there once. Great wood fired pizza
Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed

DRIVE the car.

Put good winter rubber on it and drive the thing.
Agree. The winter NaCl/MgCl and road debris won't "destroy" your 911- it just causes cosmetic issues. Some road rash, body dings and scratches and likely rust on the bottom. If this bothers you, then garage it. IMO, considering the cost of the car, it should be driven 365 days a year until it goes kaput- in the sun,rain, snow ,sleet, hail (OK maybe not hail). After 1 winter in the Midwest, my new Lexus SUV looked nasty on its underside, covered in rust. That was 16 years ago, still looks rusty underneath, still going strong. I would expect a 911 should be as durable.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:14 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma1416
Agree. The winter NaCl/MgCl and road debris won't "destroy" your 911- it just causes cosmetic issues. Some road rash, body dings and scratches and likely rust on the bottom. If this bothers you, then garage it. IMO, considering the cost of the car, it should be driven 365 days a year until it goes kaput- in the sun,rain, snow ,sleet, hail (OK maybe not hail). After 1 winter in the Midwest, my new Lexus SUV looked nasty on its underside, covered in rust. That was 16 years ago, still looks rusty underneath, still going strong. I would expect a 911 should be as durable.
Many years ago I bought my first new nice car.

It was a 2001 Audi S4.

Drove it through years of winters.

Added other cars but kept that one for a long time.

It had 160,000+ miles on it when I sold, all put on by me.

Underside looked fine except suspension bolts which can be a pain to work on after years in the Chicago winters.

There WAS ZERO rust on the actual car, just rusty bolts.

The cars themselves are really well protected these days.

People worry too much.

Owning a car like this is much more enjoyable when you drive at as much as possible IMO.

I don't neglect my cars, just drive them a lot.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

If it's a car, drive it. If it's a toy, store it. My Chicago car:
Old 03-28-2018, 11:02 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

Just stay inside all winter.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,229 Likes on 743 Posts

Minneapolis is beautiful city. Big homeless problem though. Summers are gorgeous, winters brutal. They have a network of underground tunnels so you don't have to go outside. Best of luck.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

There's a guy here on RL who puts winters on his Lambo and his 918, that's the way to do it!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

I applaud the guys that drive their cars through all the various weather including the kinds of winters you get in the Midwest.
I personally let mine hibernate during the winter. I keep my 911's for a while so prefer they aren't weather trashed after a few years. I love driving my car but I also like it looking good. I drive a leased 4 wheel drive during the winter that I don't care gets trashed and I actually think it's a better and safer car to drive than my 911. When it is trashed after 3 years I lease another.
My 911 is going to depreciate whether I drive it or not I'm not keeping count of my daily cost. When I uncover my car after a winter it's like getting a new 911 each year. But to each his own. Just my preference.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

OK, I'll change my answer. Everyone should drive their Carrera/Cayman/Boxster ONE winter in Minnesota. Then after they get tired of tows, pushing out of the snow, automatic car washes, sandblasting from other traffic, etc. etc. they can come to their senses and store their car the next winter.

And good luck getting those size 11 Sorels in the footwell, especially if you have a MT 😹
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Doctorayes, buy a MN road map. Check out the great roads in and around Wabasha. Go to the National Eagle Center there, make sure you time your visit for the lecture and feeding.

My favorite road is highway 16 all the way east from highway 52 (Preston) to Hokah, MN. Cross the Mississippi, have lunch in La Crosse, and go back. You are traversing the Root River. When you see it on a map, you'll understand why I like the road. Hit it in the fall too, for the fall colors.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

^^ And if you get north of Brainerd, check out MN 84 between Pine River and Longville.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:37 AM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in downtown Minneapolis right now. Had a nice 8 mile run along the river this morning. There's still snow on the ground in spots. Roads are filthy. But I can tell you where to find this:

That looks amazing. I heard good things about food in Minneapolis. I also heard about many good restaurants in Edina where we will live.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
OMG, that looks great. I am on a major diet to drop weight and food **** is driving me crazy. I've lost 25 in a little less than two months. When I hit 30 pounds, I am treating myself to a short shift kit - could be in ten days. Wahoo.
Me too. Lost 20 pounds in 2 months. Problem dealing with all the GERD with the salads, vinegar and black coffee

Doctorayes, buy a MN road map. Check out the great roads in and around Wabasha. Go to the National Eagle Center there, make sure you time your visit for the lecture and feeding.

My favorite road is highway 16 all the way east from highway 52 (Preston) to Hokah, MN. Cross the Mississippi, have lunch in La Crosse, and go back. You are traversing the Root River. When you see it on a map, you'll understand why I like the road. Hit it in the fall too, for the fall colors.
Thanks for the advice LexVan, I am looking forward to it.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 AM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

In Minnesota, for sure, watch out for the highway cops - they have no sense of humor!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 AM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I have a different opinion on this and I live in Chicago.

DRIVE the car.

Put good winter rubber on it and drive the thing.

You'll need some back-up plan for bad snow days since the car is lower and if you have to get somewhere on one of those days, you might not make it in a 911.

But, do the math and you decide - how much more will the car depreciate if you drive it in the winter?

I'm 100% certain it will be less than what you spend on another daily when you add in depreciation on that and insurance. Plus, you need space to park it.

Now, if you can't bear to look at a dirty 911, by all means store it for the winter.

I just don't think a car is museum piece and it always depreciates.

(And this is coming from someone that took delivery of a 991.1 GT3 with winter rubber, had winter rubber on my GT4, Audi R8, Aston Martin DB9....you get the point).

I tried the cheaper daily thing once and it was not for me. I tried the more expensive, nice daily (Panamera Turbo S) - it was not for me. I always found myself wishing I was in my sports cars.

So, for days when it snows bad, I have a truck. Most of the time the roads are not bad. The car can be washed.

And in all reality - does anyone actually believe the dealership gives you a lot more on trade for your pristine, never driven in winter, completely clear bra-ed car? Maybe a little bit.

And, if you sell privately where people are more picky, how much of a loss will you take compared to comparable cars that were not winter driven? $5000, $10,000 - whatever the number is - I'm pretty sure it's less than what an extra car will cost unless you drive around a real beater which many won't want to do all winter. Laslty, for me, that slight decrease in value that a private party sale takes is far worth the smiles I get driving my nice car to the office as much as I can.

<jumps off my soapbox>
Believe me, that is exactly how I felt here. But, we only get 11-15 inches of snow on average yearly -this year was extremely bad so maybe more- and I managed. My goal is to keep my Porsches forever especially when they are naturally aspirated so that's why I am concerned the -not the snow- road salt and chemicals will make the car rust faster. you bet I will have a daily struggle choosing a stupid SUV over 911 or cayman in the winter but maybe that's what I need to do. I lived in Syracuse, NY before and I would never drive a 911 there during winters, don't know if similar winter occurs in Minneapolis.

Quick Reply: Moving to Minneapolis