Sponsored by:

Moving to Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Moving to Minneapolis

We are moving to Minneapolis this summer and I am debating winter driving. I have always driven my Porsche year round without issues especially with mild winters here. I would like to hear your opinions regarding salt exposure there. I would like also to hear from you guys who live there, do you drive your 911 or Cayman in Minneapolis winter? A friend of mine told not to even think about it if I wanted to keep my cars long term. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I have family up there. Don't even think about it...
If its not the salt the road solution will destroy your vehicle (why people have "winter rims" because of solution is corrosive)
Old 03-28-2018, 10:27 AM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
I have family up there. Don't even think about it...
If its not the salt the road solution will destroy your vehicle (why people have "winter rims" because of solution is corrosive)
That's exactly what I was told. Do you think a Macan is a better option and should I just lease it vs buy it ?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:03 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorayes
That's exactly what I was told. Do you think a Macan is a better option and should I just lease it vs buy it ?
Macan is a better solution for sure.
I'd look at buying a 1 Year old low mileage CPO Macan (because they tank in value) and drive that with a 6 year warranty.

Leasing is always an option, need to do the math though ((downpayment and monthly payment vs depreciation and interest rate on your car loan (if you purchased). Factor in loan term too.))
If the vehicles depreciation amount is greater than your monthly payment + downpayment = Lease it

I lease my daily and buy my sports cars (because I track them).
Flip into a new lease every 2 to 3 years for the daily.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorayes
I spend five years in neighboring North Dakota and ran winter wheels on a high horsepower RWD muscle car and it worked great. Really sold me on winter tires.

However, I would rather drive a Macan in the winter months than put my 911 through the nasty stuff, chemicals on the road, etc.

That being said, driving a RWD sports car on winter tires in the snow IS A BLAST! Just watch out for the other idiots that cannot drive, though, if you do this...
Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'm in downtown Minneapolis right now. Had a nice 8 mile run along the river this morning. There's still snow on the ground in spots. Roads are filthy. But I can tell you where to find this:

Old 03-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Ill sell you my '15 Macan turbo in a couple months if you want.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm in downtown Minneapolis right now. Had a nice 8 mile run along the river this morning. There's still snow on the ground in spots. Roads are filthy. But I can tell you where to find this:

OMG, that looks great. I am on a major diet to drop weight and food **** is driving me crazy. I've lost 25 in a little less than two months. When I hit 30 pounds, I am treating myself to a short shift kit - could be in ten days. Wahoo.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
OMG, that looks great. I am on a major diet to drop weight and food **** is driving me crazy. I've lost 25 in a little less than two months. When I hit 30 pounds, I am treating myself to a short shift kit - could be in ten days. Wahoo.
Good job, Dan. Not an easy thing to do.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

MN winters are brutal. I'd get AWD and no sports car for winter.

Make sure to become friends with Darin Szabo at Porsche of MN. Great brand ambassador and super dealer.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That looks like Pizza Luce downtown. Am I right?

Congrats on your move, it's a great city, and the summer is wonderful. Winters... can be a bit long. There's a lot of grit on the roads and a lot of potholes in the spring. I store my car for the winter, but some people drive their 911s year round, with regular car washes. It can be done. If you choose to do so, you'd probably want to get winter wheels and tires though.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
That looks like Pizza Luce downtown. Am I right?.
Pizzeria Lola!!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:12 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Aha! Delicious. Enjoy your visit!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Store your sports car. The calcium chloride and rock salt are brutal. Then a SUV with snow tires will get you anywhere you want to go. Porsche of St.Paul just opened a brand new facility, and there are a couple of good indies that specialize in Porsche. A good tire shop is Norm's in Roseville. PCA Nordstern chapter has track days at Brainerd International Raceway, tech days and road tours... probably a good way to connect with other Porsche folk. There is an all Porsche show in Roseville every June, too. Anyway, lots of resources available, just ask.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a different opinion on this and I live in Chicago.

DRIVE the car.

Put good winter rubber on it and drive the thing.

You'll need some back-up plan for bad snow days since the car is lower and if you have to get somewhere on one of those days, you might not make it in a 911.

But, do the math and you decide - how much more will the car depreciate if you drive it in the winter?

I'm 100% certain it will be less than what you spend on another daily when you add in depreciation on that and insurance. Plus, you need space to park it.

Now, if you can't bear to look at a dirty 911, by all means store it for the winter.

I just don't think a car is museum piece and it always depreciates.

(And this is coming from someone that took delivery of a 991.1 GT3 with winter rubber, had winter rubber on my GT4, Audi R8, Aston Martin DB9....you get the point).

I tried the cheaper daily thing once and it was not for me. I tried the more expensive, nice daily (Panamera Turbo S) - it was not for me. I always found myself wishing I was in my sports cars.

So, for days when it snows bad, I have a truck. Most of the time the roads are not bad. The car can be washed.

And in all reality - does anyone actually believe the dealership gives you a lot more on trade for your pristine, never driven in winter, completely clear bra-ed car? Maybe a little bit.

And, if you sell privately where people are more picky, how much of a loss will you take compared to comparable cars that were not winter driven? $5000, $10,000 - whatever the number is - I'm pretty sure it's less than what an extra car will cost unless you drive around a real beater which many won't want to do all winter. Laslty, for me, that slight decrease in value that a private party sale takes is far worth the smiles I get driving my nice car to the office as much as I can.

<jumps off my soapbox>

Quick Reply: Moving to Minneapolis