Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long winter, wife's thinks I'm losing it

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:19 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Longtime Technivorm fan here. Bought a Behmor connected brewer on a lark and it quickly became the daily workhorse. They both produce an excellent cup, but I tend to enjoy the Behmor a bit more.

And for a quick single cup, you can't beat the Aeropress.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:46 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Your beloved Chemex disagrees with you. Even they state the ideal brew temp is 197 - 204.
Originally Posted by R_Rated
no... there is no path to even average coffee at 155...
It sounds like R_Rated and the people at Chemex have never tried 155. It takes way more beans of course with a fine grind but who cares.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:00 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

This thread really came to the rescue. We have been having a lot of trouble w our Kitchen Aid drip coffee maker (never hot enough, leaks all the time, even after a refurbished replacement unit etc) - it was never really not up to par w our Gaggia espresso machine and the little Bialetti Moka Express. So I just ordered the Technivorm. It seems like exactly what we need.

Really legitimized the time I spend on this forum too. My wife is surprised that I found/learned something "useful" from Rennlist
Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
This thread really came to the rescue. We have been having a lot of trouble w our Kitchen Aid drip coffee maker (never hot enough, leaks all the time, even after a refurbished replacement unit etc) - it was never really not up to par w our Gaggia espresso machine and the little Bialetti Moka Express. So I just ordered the Technivorm. It seems like exactly what we need.

Really legitimized the time I spend on this forum too. My wife is surprised that I found/learned something "useful" from Rennlist
http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator

It sounds like R_Rated and the people at Chemex have never tried 155. It takes way more beans of course with a fine grind but who cares.
I guarantee I have tried about everything.... We even have this for holidays:
Amazon Amazon

Like wisky - drink it how you like. But 155 Brewing is BS.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:36 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

What I'm throwing away is also SCAA certified by the way, it's the KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB).

It did make a great coffee out of the box so I'm not surprised that it's certified, but durability is not something they measure and this thing really broke down w time.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by erko1905
What I'm throwing away is also SCAA certified by the way, it's the KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB).

It did make a great coffee out of the box so I'm not surprised that it's certified, but durability is not something they measure and this thing really broke down w time.
I think the Moccamaster is the standout for durability. Its the only one hand made in Europe vs factory in china. Also note the BUNN on the list... I've seen some pretty old bunn machines still going strong. Buy quality and buy less often saves a lot of money in the long run.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with Dewinator on the Chemex. Makes a perfect cup. Bought a Jura as our espresso machine. Lot's of with the automation.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
I have to agree with Dewinator on the Chemex. Makes a perfect cup. Bought a Jura as our espresso machine. Lot's of with the automation.
Chemex is good but it doesn't brew at 155.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Got_Corners?
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Hands down, this is the best cars and coffee thread, ever.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I guarantee I have tried about everything.... We even have this for holidays:
Amazon Amazon

Like wisky - drink it how you like. But 155 Brewing is BS.
I just got rid of a kitchenaid Siphon brewer. Loved the coffee it made (and my inner geek loved watching it brew) but after a year it wasn't sealing well and when it came time for the coffee to "drop" it wouldn't all come out. Maybe like half. Also, you couldn't get your hand in there to clean. And then one day the carafe exploded...

It replaced an old Bodum Santos which died after many years of hard work.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:20 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_Corners?
Hands down, this is the best cars and coffee thread, ever.
...and shoes. We just need to fold in watches to the conversation now..... R-Rated?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
How is the technivorm for everyday cleaning?
Can you brew 3 large cups easily (I drink one, hubby drinks two usually). Estimating a total of 30 ounces.
The Technivorm is fantastic in terms of cleaning, aside from the carafe which needs a brush the rest can be broken down and tossed into the dishwasher. Huge advantage over some of our previous machines that were a pain to clean.

No issue brewing varying amounts too, the unit brews 10 cups (42oz) but you can just put in less water + grinds to make less.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by subshooter
...and shoes. We just need to fold in watches to the conversation now..... R-Rated?
I'm typically wearing my BathyscapheFF when I make coffee It's my daily.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:16 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
The Technivorm is fantastic in terms of cleaning, aside from the carafe which needs a brush the rest can be broken down and tossed into the dishwasher. Huge advantage over some of our previous machines that were a pain to clean.

No issue brewing varying amounts too, the unit brews 10 cups (42oz) but you can just put in less water + grinds to make less.
Thank you! It’s just the two of us, and we typically hand-wash our carafe and filter basket even though everything is dishwasher safe (we don’t run the dishwasher frequently enough).

I would likely not opt for the “yeti-like” carafe, but rather the glass carafe. I trust it would not need a brush and I could hand-wash if desired. As for breaking other parts down - do you do that daily (assuming daily use).

I’m looking for something reliable and consistent and relatively simple. We are not “coffee aficionados” as it seems many of you are!

We have a Bunn (it’s our second) but it stopped producing a consistent amount. Sometimes it would brew the full amount of water and sometimes less (by half at times). It was all over the map so it went into the cupboard and hasn’t come out in years. The first one performed well for 3-4 years but then started doing funky stuff with quantities so it was ditched in favor of new - but then started doing the same thing only much sooner in the life span.

Quick Reply: Long winter, wife's thinks I'm losing it