Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018 | 02:42 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Thumbs up Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

I know these are taked about in other threads, but searching for info about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S doesn't bring up a thread that focuses just on them, which is a shame.

My 2016 GTS came from the factory with P Zeros. I had read how the Michelin Super Sports were better, but I wasn't going to swap out brand new tires. Then the new PS 4S came out, and for sure I knew when it was time to change the rears that I'd swap the whole set at that time.

Bought the tires from Amazon, had them shipped to the dealer to install/balance (centerlocks). Service department was super cool about it and didn't give me any trouble or overcharge me. Less than a week ago now.

I'm shocked how much of a difference it makes to the ride quality (biggest difference) and sound (a bit quieter). I am extremely used to how the car handles along the patch of highway I use for commuting. It has smoothed out the problem areas as I would expect a DSC module might have done. (I have SPASM for reference) I do not track my car, and I am no expert driver, not someone who can describe tire differences like fine wines. These are not the N0 variant either.

Walking out to my car tonight, pass the guy with a green Hurican. Amazingly enough he put PS 4S tires on his car, as his came with P Zeros too. Said they were trash--half gone from a track day, but hardly any grip when just a bit cold/wet. He loves the PS 4S now. I haven't probed what they can do on my car yet, but by all indications it's a huge improvement.

For anyone who started with Pirellis, you really should go Michelin PS4S when it's time to replace them. I'm just literally shocked at how much of a difference they instantly made. And yes, I pay careful attention to tire pressures, I run comfort settings since most of the time it's just me in the car communitng.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tangerine:
bms0918 (12-10-2020), P991GTS (11-19-2019), tourenwagen (12-01-2020)
Old 03-20-2018 | 02:48 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Good input, thanks. How does it handle around corners vs P0s?
Old 03-20-2018 | 02:50 AM
cclcal
Instructor

thanks for the first hand account.
rear tires are almost time to be replaced...

never thought about ordering tires from amazon, similar prices to tirerack?
thinking about shipping to Costco vs discount tire vs dealer? pros and cons?

I do NOT have centerlock, just regular Carrera S wheels

thanks
Old 03-20-2018 | 02:56 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by fester
Good input, thanks. How does it handle around corners vs P0s?
Haven't pushed them much, just hovering around 50 here, and I'm not an expert. I need to test them a bit in the wet to see if they live up to the claims in that area, as I read that many times (wet performance superior to P Zero). So far in the dry they feel great. They feel smoother, not softer, if that makes sense.
Old 03-20-2018 | 03:02 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by cclcal
never thought about ordering tires from amazon, similar prices to tirerack?
thinking about shipping to Costco vs discount tire vs dealer? pros and cons?

I do NOT have centerlock, just regular Carrera S wheels
I compared to Tirerack (I've used them before) and others, and with free Prime shipping and 5% back for using the Prime credit card it actually ends up cheaper, at least this time. I had to check and double check because I didn't think it would be, but it was. I contacted the service department first and cleared it with them, even giving them a chance to match the price if they wanted to (he chuckled) but was happy to install/balace. ~$250 to mount/balance (and wash the rims, please never the car) and peace of mind they won't screw anything up. I absolutely would not trust anywhere else for centerlocks. For 5 lugs, up to you, I wouldn't go with a discount place, but a independent shop that is used to 911s, sure why not?
Old 03-20-2018 | 03:58 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Having experienced both tires on different cars, I would say your inputs are spot on!
I’m kinda disappointed when I saw my new C4S came with P zeros, since I love how Michelin performs...
So how long does P zeros lasts in normal driving condition?
and could you share the cost of replacing them with Michelin’s?
Old 03-20-2018 | 05:12 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

I will be doing the same as soon as the Pirellis show a little more wear. I have moved from SPASM to Techart springs with a geometry set up. I am experimenting with tyre pressures and running 30-32 front and 34-36 rear. Cold I am 29-30, 33-34. Geometry is at -1.2 degrees front and -2.0 rear, toe .01 Front .1 rear. Everything came up real close. Eg cambers -1.21 L,RF -2.02,-2.03 LR,R

Not sure about the 2 degrees of rear camber, but drives very well. Really appreciate any input on Pirelli tyre pressures. Road only at the moment. The car has PDCC
Old 03-20-2018 | 07:09 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Have swapped out Pzeros on several Pcars to Michelin's. Way prefer the ride noise quality of the 4S, wet and dry handling, and the wear. Just swapped on my TTS and love them.
Old 03-20-2018 | 07:17 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

I would dearly love to back-to-back sets of Michelins and Pirellis to see what the actual difference is. It would only be scientific if both sets were new or equally worn as I think a lot of “wow, these tyres are so much better than my last ones” comes from getting 4x the tread depth on a new tyre: of course it’s quieter and better handling, you’d get that even if it was the same make.

Has anyone swapped out a brace of nearly-new P's for M's? I have the P's that came new on my GTS and I think they’re pretty good but I haven’t experienced the M's , so would be very interested to know...
The following 5 users liked this post by Ed911.2:
b1st (01-01-2021), Btcing (07-28-2020), CarreraFahrer (12-28-2019), frederickcook87 (10-28-2019), zenman63 (12-18-2019)
Old 03-20-2018 | 08:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

How many miles were on your PZeros before the change to the 4S?

Does Amazon give you Road Hazard like Tire Rack? tR price includes the RH warranty.
Old 03-20-2018 | 09:09 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I would dearly love to back-to-back sets of Michelins and Pirellis to see what the actual difference is. It would only be scientific if both sets were new or equally worn as I think a lot of “wow, these tyres are so much better than my last ones” comes from getting 4x the tread depth on a new tyre: of course it’s quieter and better handling, you’d get that even if it was the same make.

Has anyone swapped out a brace of nearly-new P's for M's? I have the P's that came new on my GTS and I think they’re pretty good but I haven’t experienced the M's , so would be very interested to know...
I have driven M5's on P Zero's and owned an M5 with Michelin PSS and PS4s. The Michelin's had more grip, better feel, more compliance etc. I also found the wet weather perfoamance better than any other tire I have used before on other 'sports cars' in comparison to their dry performance. There are plenty of reviews on line showing how good MPS4s tyres are.

If I recall the MPS4s tyre uses the MPSC2 tyre carcass which no other Michelin tyre does, when I spoke to Michelin about MPS4s vs MPSC2's the answer was that the only benefit of MPSC2's are on the track. He said wet and dry grip from the MPS4s would be higher in 99% of road driving situations. Including a good 'drive' early Sunday morning. The 4s will over heat on the track and go off like all road tyres on track days
Old 03-20-2018 | 11:31 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed911.2

Agreed. On another thread one guy measured tire noise on new Pirellis and new 4S and they were identical. I'm sure the Michelin is a better tire but I agree a big part of that is coming from a worn out tire to a new set. I'll be switching out my P zeros for Michelin in a month or two.
Old 03-20-2018 | 12:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

The old Pirelli PZero N0 tires wasn't very good in my opinion....my 2017 GTS came with the Pirelli PZero N1 tire and its a lot lot better in grip and noise than the previous PZero N0. I only have around 7k miles on them so far....but by the time I wear them out...all street driving....I have tires for the track...I will probably try something else just to see but not because these newer N1 PZero's are bad.
Old 03-20-2018 | 01:53 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

I LOVE my PS4S!! Best street tires I've run to date. I plan on putting them on my other cars as well when the time comes.
Old 03-20-2018 | 03:01 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Agreed. On another thread one guy measured tire noise on new Pirellis and new 4S and they were identical. I'm sure the Michelin is a better tire but I agree a big part of that is coming from a worn out tire to a new set. I'll be switching out my P zeros for Michelin in a month or two.
It’ll be good to hear how they feel when that happens...
The old Pirelli PZero N0 tires wasn't very good in my opinion....my 2017 GTS came with the Pirelli PZero N1 tire and its a lot lot better in grip and noise than the previous PZero N0. I only have around 7k miles on them so far....but by the time I wear them out...all street driving....I have tires for the track...I will probably try something else just to see but not because these newer N1 PZero's are bad.
Yeah, I have the N1s on mine too. They get a bit noisy on concrete or rough asphalt but most wide, low-profile tyres do. They haven’t offended me in terms of grip, even in the wet but I haven’t got anything to compare them to.

Gave the GTS a decent trip today to get all the oily bits in synch after a long winter. Still have 2’ snowdrifts outside my house and I live in the middle of England..!

Quick Reply: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S