Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone know how Fidelity works, re: when the plan actually starts? I got a Fidelity quote and the broker said that the plan starts on the DAY I get it. So if I get 7 years coverage today, it'll be covered for 7 years from today. Want to make sure that is in fact accurate according to what other people have heard.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Anyone know how Fidelity works, re: when the plan actually starts? I got a Fidelity quote and the broker said that the plan starts on the DAY I get it. So if I get 7 years coverage today, it'll be covered for 7 years from today. Want to make sure that is in fact accurate according to what other people have heard.
While this discussion is about the Porsche offered plan, it is correct that the Fidelity plan begins the day you purchase it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
Download the pdf brochure from the Porsche site given by the URL. It clearly says that there are two levels of protection available.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...rotectionplan/
And so it does.
In fact, looking over my contract, there are clearly two check boxes and I have Platinum.
Either the dealer and rep are woefully uninformed, or there's another (profit) motive.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:26 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by go.illini
While this discussion is about the Porsche offered plan, it is correct that the Fidelity plan begins the day you purchase it.
Thank you. I guess this raises the question of more time coverage from Fidelity for what I assume is a similar price to the Porsche backed plan, or less time coverage with a Porsche backed plan.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 PM
zareth
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey All,

I got the exclusions from the Dealer. If anyone is interested:

Platinum Plan Exclusions – The following items and components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Platinum Plan: standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts/panels/body seals, trim, moldings, door handles, all lock cylinders tires, wheels, standard, hybrid and electric batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, electronic transmitting devices (except electronic entry systems-remote entry receiver, sender and module, and tire pressure monitoring system and/or sensors), radar detectors, appliances, and vinyl and convertible tops.

It seems like a pretty reasonable list of exclusions, so the coverage seems pretty good.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by zareth
Hey All,

I got the exclusions from the Dealer. If anyone is interested:

Platinum Plan Exclusions – The following items and components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Platinum Plan: standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts/panels/body seals, trim, moldings, door handles, all lock cylinders tires, wheels, standard, hybrid and electric batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, electronic transmitting devices (except electronic entry systems-remote entry receiver, sender and module, and tire pressure monitoring system and/or sensors), radar detectors, appliances, and vinyl and convertible tops.

It seems like a pretty reasonable list of exclusions, so the coverage seems pretty good.
These companies must all copy each other.... for comparison sake, here is the Fidelity Platinum exclusions.... look familiar??
PLATINUM EXCLUSIONS:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearings, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except Hybrid/EV/Hydrogen High Voltage batteries as listed under Silver Coverage, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, constant velocity joint boots, steering and suspension joint boots, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other system not factory installed, cellular phones, radar detectors, appliances, or vinyl and convertible tops.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am contemplating getting extended coverage as well, as my 4 years of initial factory warranty will be up in the fall.
Anybody have a link for Fidelity?
Sounds like the Porsche Platinum plan runs in the range of $4.5 - $5.5K for 10 years, meaning 6 more after the initial factory warranty is over.
What does Fidelity run?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 404 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by chuck911
For some reason I have never quite been able to comprehend, but which probably had at least something to do with way too much time spent ingesting way too much alcohol and way too much cannabis, I decided my minor should be in risk management and insurance. Utter and complete waste of tuition, except for the times like this when thanks to all those boring lectures I at least now understand how insurance and warranties, extended or otherwise, work. First a highly mathematically specialized team of accountants determines probablilities and costs. Then they go back and forth with marketing, figuring out how to maximize inflated customer expectations of an ingeniously deflated product. Once they settle on the cost of that then they double it, so they can make money, and then double it again, so whoever sells it can make money. I'm talking in general. Sometimes they triple or quadruple instead. Minor variations like that. All based on the assumption the customer is seriously mathlexic. It would seem this scam is so obviously cockeyed and crooked it wouldn't last 5 minutes. Yet not only have these schemes been around since like forever, they continue to proliferate. So maybe there is a lot more truth to that one assumption than we would ever care to admit.

On second thought, considering all the tens of thousands of dollars I've saved buying the least insurance possible when I wasn't avoiding it entirely (and usually only when required by law) maybe those classes weren't such a waste after all.
Completely agree. Maybe all that alcohol and cannabis consumption actually helped you see through these schemes designed to prey on peoples’ fears. They are quite ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

I am VERY against over-insuring. I always turn down all that extra dealer crap, etc. However, the only reasons I really consider paying for an extended warranty on this 911 is due to PDK issue. Not that I expect any with how low miles I put on the car (though I do drive it quite spiritedly), but that bill is pretty big. Ditto for the engine, though engine issues on these cars are probably the least likely issues that can arise.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I am VERY against over-insuring. I always turn down all that extra dealer crap, etc. However, the only reasons I really consider paying for an extended warranty on this 911 is due to PDK issue. Not that I expect any with how low miles I put on the car (though I do drive it quite spiritedly), but that bill is pretty big. Ditto for the engine, though engine issues on these cars are probably the least likely issues that can arise.
What is wrong with the PDK's? Any issues for the 991?
I would say PDK is more or less the same reliable as other transmissions, unless there is some known weak spot. Like the 996 IMS bearing that blew up engines.
I had a BMW automatic tranny fail me at 55K miles. Sometimes sh... just happens.

Just trying to figure out if there is a known issue, or if anybody knows of 991 PDK's failing prematurely.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I agree with you and have been educated that extended warranties are pure profit for the dealers. If the warranty companies lost money on their policy's they would be out of business.

I do find it interesting that Porsche does not have a separate Powertrain warranty whereas most manufactures do. The last time I bought an extended warranty was on my 03 Acura MDX and after the extended warranty expired (usually buy 7/100k) the transmission went and replaced it with radiator for about $5000.

My 911 GTS is not my daily driver and bought pre-owned (still under factory warranty) so I may consider the Powertrain warranty only as the 991.1 3.8 engine should be well sorted.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fünfer
What is wrong with the PDK's? Any issues for the 991?
I would say PDK is more or less the same reliable as other transmissions, unless there is some known weak spot. Like the 996 IMS bearing that blew up engines.
I had a BMW automatic tranny fail me at 55K miles. Sometimes sh... just happens.

Just trying to figure out if there is a known issue, or if anybody knows of 991 PDK's failing prematurely.
Not at all, PDK's seem to be very reliable. I'm just stating that if in that extremely rare case, it's a big bill. But, honestly, a transmission replacement on about any modern car is a big bill (some low price cars use ZF transmissions just like premium cars which also have big transmission bills). Still, IMO an extended warranty isn't worth it unless you get it at cost (i.e like forum discounts or negotiated to bargain levels). $4K for 2 years is ridiculous. $4K for 5-7 years is a solid value play.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 PM
9114cab4me
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone found a dealer selling the VSP at good rates? I purchased a Mercedes warranty from a dealer posting on a board. I saved a lot buying this way, I think about 25%.
SM
Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 AM
raoden
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this thread

1) Can you buy Porsche VSP from any dealer
2) Is it honored by all Porsche dealers
3) Has anybody found a dealer who is quoting good prices?
Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

See some of the answers here
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...uestion-2.html

Quick Reply: Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?