Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.1 TTS reliability (warranty related question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I did same thing

i bought the Porsche branded warranty for my 2014 turbo. It was 4K. But I didn’t have cpo so it makes sense

it is Porsche warranty tied to your VIN, administered by safeguard. I called 2-3 service depts and they said it was very good.

While car is reliable I drive the snot out of it, and warranty is no brainer. There is nothing cheap on these cars.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Randy. I did exactly that. They told me that "Porsche branded" is the best you can get and superior to any other 3-rd party warranty incl. Fidelity, which is cheaper. They say its coverage is the same as Porsche CPO. I asked how CPO and this extended one are different from original factory warranty and have been told that both CPO and this extended one do not cover rattles and squeaks, while original 4-year factory does.

rcg412, thank you and yes what you said is correct. Porsche branded extended warranty is underwritten by safe-guard. Here is the announcement of the Porsche / Safe-guard deal
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300071245.html
Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

So, what my dealer told me was true, it's underwritten by a third party, Safeguard. The service department at the dealer told me that it's no better than other 3rd parties. I'm sure it a revenue source for the dealer to sell this type of insurance. I called a few other dealers and interestingly, they offered different 3rd party companies. So it's probably all related to profit margins for the dealer.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:04 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Elliott, not completely correct. Safe-guard and Porsche have a special deal resulting in this warranty being the only Porsche-branded one and respected by Porsche as Porsche's own CPO wrt coverage and ease of approving repair jobs. That is my take away from a conversation with 3 dealerships (Finance and Service depts) as well as Porsche Finance.
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (05-10-2022)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:05 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

However, my main question was really about reliability of these TTS cars. Seems like no sufficient data and not much opinions on that.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

These cars are VERY reliable. Most will agree. Sure, some little issues here and there, but I am not aware of any major engine or PDK issues.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Elliott, not completely correct. Safe-guard and Porsche have a special deal resulting in this warranty being the only Porsche-branded one and respected by Porsche as Porsche's own CPO wrt coverage and ease of approving repair jobs. That is my take away from a conversation with 3 dealerships (Finance and Service depts) as well as Porsche Finance.
yes, there is a financial relationship between Safeguard and Porsche, but is there any evidence that the resulting warranty is any better than any other third party separate from Safeguard? To be clear, this is not CPO warranty, which is backed by the the manufacturer, Porsche. This is an extended warranty backed by a third party, Safeguard. The dealers I spoke to made that very clear to me.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:29 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Not to argue,

What I learned in these 3 days is:

- "Porsche Service Protection plan" is underwritten by Safe-guard LLC under exclusive agreement with Porsche made in 2015. This warranty is the only one branded as "Porsche Service Protection plan". It comes with a Porsche Financial Services booklet.
- Porsche service departments in few local Porsche dealerships I spoke with told me that it is superior to all other aftermarket warranties and works same as Porsche own CPO. This warranty is indeed the most expensive one as it is branded Porsche and is the best one you can get beyond Porsche Factory warranties.
- You can only purchase this warranty before Original Factory warranty expiry (i.e. before your CPO kicks in).

Two of four dealerships I talked to did not want to negotiate on the price. One of them told me that what I got was "a very good deal". The third one does not offer this warranty and only offers Fidelity. The last one was more open on the price.
Bottomline, I believe you can have it for about 1.5K to 2K less than my original price.

Just to set the record straight for others who may benefit from my research.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

What makes the warranty "superior" besides it being "branded" Porsche? If you get the same coverage from other non-branded warranties, then what are you paying the extra for with the branded warranty? Just trying to understand what you're really getting here for all the extra money besides being able to tell people (and yourself) that you have a Porsche branded warranty and an extra Porsche booklet.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
What makes the warranty "superior" besides it being "branded" Porsche? If you get the same coverage from other non-branded warranties, then what are you paying the extra for with the branded warranty? Just trying to understand what you're really getting here for all the extra money besides being able to tell people (and yourself) that you have a Porsche branded warranty and an extra Porsche booklet.
I spoke to 3 dealers in my area, all 3 told me Porsche does not offer an extended warranty, only factory and CPO warranty. Safeguard is a 3rd party warranty with a business relationship with Porsche. There may indeed be preferential treatment with the Safeguard extended warranty, I don't know. However all 3 of the dealers I called were pushing a different extended warranty company. My impression is they push the company that provides them the most margin or profit. I would pick the extended warranty company with the best online reviews from real customers. My opinion.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:50 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
I spoke to 3 dealers in my area, all 3 told me Porsche does not offer an extended warranty, only factory and CPO warranty. Safeguard is a 3rd party warranty with a business relationship with Porsche. There may indeed be preferential treatment with the Safeguard extended warranty, I don't know. However all 3 of the dealers I called were pushing a different extended warranty company. My impression is they push the company that provides them the most margin or profit. I would pick the extended warranty company with the best online reviews from real customers. My opinion.
That's what I'm trying to understand from his perspective. What are they stating in writing that he will get above and beyond using a non-branded warranty? All I see him saying is that the dealer told him it is better because it is branded Porsche and it comes with a Porsche booklet. If it is superior and the best, then how is it superior and the best besides people just telling him it's superior and the best? It seems like a lot of circular reasoning with no proof.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
I am on my 4th 911 and before that had BMWs etc. I drive my vehicles and I tend to keep them beyond original factory warranties. So I have quite a bit of experience with 3-rd party aftermarket extended warranties. Some better some worse. Couple of them did not want to pay for anything no matter what was stated on their policies. It required multiple tries for service depts and escalations to their executive management to have them approve a repair and often times only partially. Then the coverage...e.g., if your water pump leaks, but still works they not paying as they claim the pump being "operational" etc. Quite frustrating in my experience. BTW no two coverages are the same. It is mostly about how they read and interpret the statements on your policy. You need to be careful.

Two insurance companies I dealt with in the past filed chapter 11 and went busted during my contracts. In one case it took me 5 years to get the money they owed me in small installments. Luckily I got it. In the other case I never got anything back. Since then I decided against purchasing any extended warranties. Even from Fidelity although from what I read on the web it is perhaps a better one.

So when I was purchasing my TTS and the Finance manager at the dealer told me that there is a "Porsche" Porsche Service Protection plan I was willing to listen only because it was presented as a Porsche covered. Later I did the homework and posted results of what I've learned over here. The fact that they misrepresented what this policy is exactly (although they disagree they ever misrepresented anything and claim it is Porsche Financial Services one, no matter it is underwritten by Safeguard) helped me to renegotiate the price $2,500 down to what they told me is below a price set on this 10y/100K Porsche Service Protection plan by Porsche Financial. Take it FWIW.

I am still not sure I am going to keep it. The reason I am leaning towards keeping it now is that Porsche dealership's service department managers I spoke with told me that for them Porsche Service Protection Plan (i.e., as we know Safeguard underwritten warranty) is the one with which they do not need to get a lengthy approvals from underwriters as it works as easy as Porsche CPO. This may or may not be true or enough of a reason to pay more for it.

And yes, different dealers pushing different extended warranties and this is sure driven by their margins.

I am not selling anything here and not doing this to tell people and myself (like you stated) that I have a Porsche branded warranty with a Porsche booklet. I am just trying to be helpful. If I knew what I know now back on my purchase day, it would've helped me making my decision.

You decide for yourself.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

You decide for yourself.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I am on my 4th 911 and before that had BMWs etc. I drive my vehicles and I tend to keep them beyond original factory warranties. So I have quite a bit of experience with 3-rd party aftermarket extended warranties. Some better some worse. Couple of them did not want to pay for anything no matter what was stated on their policies. It required multiple tries for service depts and escalations to their executive management to have them approve a repair and often times only partially. Then the coverage...e.g., if your water pump leaks, but still works they not paying as they claim the pump being "operational" etc. Quite frustrating in my experience. BTW no two coverages are the same. It is mostly about how they read and interpret the statements on your policy. You need to be careful.

Two insurance companies I dealt with in the past filed chapter 11 and went busted during my contracts. In one case it took me 5 years to get the money they owed me in small installments. Luckily I got it. In the other case I never got anything back. Since then I decided against purchasing any extended warranties. Even from Fidelity although from what I read on the web it is perhaps a better one.

So when I was purchasing my TTS and the Finance manager at the dealer told me that there is a "Porsche" Porsche Service Protection plan I was willing to listen only because it was presented as a Porsche covered. Later I did the homework and posted results of what I've learned over here. The fact that they misrepresented what this policy is exactly (although they disagree they ever misrepresented anything and claim it is Porsche Financial Services one, no matter it is underwritten by Safeguard) helped me to renegotiate the price $2,500 down to what they told me is below a price set on this 10y/100K Porsche Service Protection plan by Porsche Financial. Take it FWIW.

I am still not sure I am going to keep it. The reason I am leaning towards keeping it now is that Porsche dealership's service department managers I spoke with told me that for them Porsche Service Protection Plan (i.e., as we know Safeguard underwritten warranty) is the one with which they do not need to get a lengthy approvals from underwriters as it works as easy as Porsche CPO. This may or may not be true or enough of a reason to pay more for it.

And yes, different dealers pushing different extended warranties and this is sure driven by their margins.

I am not selling anything here and not doing this to tell people and myself (like you stated) that I have a Porsche branded warranty with a Porsche booklet. I am just trying to be helpful. If I knew what I know now back on my purchase day, it would've helped me making my decision.

You decide for yourself.
if it is Porsche branded, it is Porsche problem if safeguard doesn’t pay up. That’s why I went with this warranty. The fact that it is linked to vin to me shows this is a bit more integrated policy
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (05-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

all auto extended warranties are linked to the VIN number

Quick Reply: 991.1 TTS reliability (warranty related question)