Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Sport and Sport+ for 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 PM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The sport+, just like what it behaves in Bmw M cars, the transmission holds rev too high to drive on normal street. I find it sport to be just right.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I tend to drive in Sport almost always, even during city driving.

Normal just feels too sluggish for me. Plus the start/stop feature is bothersome for me.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I swear Ive read somewhere that the car will only hit max target boost in Sport+. Its target boost is lower in each subsequent setting.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Very different experience for me. I have a 991.2 C2s. Sport mode is fun and I use that mode most of the time, but for aggressive driving on track or back roads with a lot of turns, I never connected with Sport mode. Seemed like the car freewheeled too much. I come from sport bike riding and for the same type of track/roads you keep the revs higher all the time and use some engine braking from the high revs to control speed. I put the car in Sport+ and all of a sudden the car was perfect. The PDK was shifting and letting the engine rev very similar to how I would ride a sport bike. I just instantly understood the car and clicked with it. That is the only time I ever use Sport+. For regular driving the car revs way too high and is just a waste of engine life and fuel.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So why not shift manually in sport plus?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:27 PM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

For around town, sport mode provides a good balance of response, smoothness in shifting and boost. Sport+ definitely gives a harder shift, keeps the revs high (in auto) and provides more boost. I just wish there was a way to disable the backfire burble in sport mode.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

I did the same experiment recently on my 991.2S (spasm/pdcc/rws/pse/sunroof delete) and I prefer sport+; I actually think the pedal/throttle mapping may be less sensitive than sport but the main thing is that if you look at the boost gauge, it stays at +1 or 2 when you get off the throttle compared to sport/normal where it's at 0, meaning it's keeping boost to minimize lag when you get back on the throttle and coupled with the lack of backfire it may give the impression that you are slower but in fact it is extremely responsive and if you're getting on-off throttle it feels more seamless than normal or sport, more like a better simulation of an N/A car than sport/normal.

In fact I have set up individual setting to be sport+ without the stiff PDCC/pasm and without the sports exhaust, it's now my favorite setting when the car warms up and I want to drive it quickly. Sport mode has become my poseur setting with its seriously overdone/contrived backfires when I miss my depaaa'rted 991.1S burbly exhaust sounds... (obviously not as nice but I love mid 70's 934-935 turbo 911s so the whistle and hoover sounds are music to my ears, flame suit on)...
The following users liked this post:
rosenbergendo (12-22-2020)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Driving the car now for a week, most noticeable difference between sport and sport plus, besides the lack of exhaust burbles in sport plus, is the harder gear shifts in sport plus. You can really feel it through the car and the seats. I only have been driving sport plus for a short period and only in manual mode. Because I am still breaking it in and want to avoid max revs.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:11 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

PDK or manual? In my manual car, in sport plus, ride is noticeably stiffer and I cannot tell any difference in throttle response from sport mode. The latter is my favorite mode. Quicker throttle response, slightly deeper tone in the exhaust (without PSE), auto rev matching and comfortable ride.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

PDK, hence the shifts I mentioned.

The stiffness if anything, has to do with the setting of the (S)PASM, which goes into sport setting by default if you select sport plus. But you can manually chose comfort again so that’s not exclusively related to sport plus.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:10 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal - only long drives
Sport - most of the time
Sport plus - mostly on track rarely on public road

I find the differences between sport and sport plus quite distinct and noticeable .
Old 04-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
Sport - most of the time

I find the differences between sport and sport plus quite distinct and noticeable .
^that is pretty much how I run. Except normal not only on long drives but on the highway as well.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
Sport - most of the time

Me too except I don't track my car (yet) so I have almost zero experience with sport +. In my 9A1 engined Porsche with PSE and SC, I run around in sport + for the burbles.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:17 PM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Is this true when shifting with the paddles(Manual PDK mode)?
Old 12-22-2020, 05:19 PM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm not sure why you would have perceived it that way beyond what others have already suggested.

One other performance-related difference between Sport and Sport Plus is that Sport Plus is the only mode where the car doesn't momentarily blip power off during the shift, nor does it try to provide a hint of slip to soften the transition. You should be able to detect it as a more notable kick in the seat of your pants during each shift. It's much more pronounced in my 991.2 than in was in the 991.1.
Is this true in manual PDK mode?

Quick Reply: Difference between Sport and Sport+ for 991.2