Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you decide no on paint protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I did PPF on my last one but not this one. I figured for the cost, I could have somebody fill in the chips if it bothered me. There are companies out there that can do it quite well without painting over the entire front end.

I recently saw a video about an original owner of a 911 from the 60's. The front end was all chipped up and I thought it looked cool. Every chip was a mark of time well spent in his beloved sports car. If I keep this one, I could look back and think the same.
Now there is the best cost too much rationalization ever! LOL
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I “patiently” wait for July C2S delivery, I keep going back and forth on the PPF issue as well. Mine will be DD in SoCal, 12k miles per year, non-metallic white exterior, SPASM suspension. My newest reasoning is what if I take 5-8k off the price when I go to sell the car in 3-5 years instead of upfront PPF purchase? Thoughts? Is this sound reasoning?
Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

No, making 5-8k guesses about 3-5 years from now on something well over 100k is not sound reasoning IMO.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:06 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by seffeed
As I “patiently” wait for July C2S delivery, I keep going back and forth on the PPF issue as well. Mine will be DD in SoCal, 12k miles per year, non-metallic white exterior, SPASM suspension. My newest reasoning is what if I take 5-8k off the price when I go to sell the car in 3-5 years instead of upfront PPF purchase? Thoughts? Is this sound reasoning?
If you are going to trade it in, my experience is that you won't get a penny more if it has PPF or not. Even if the vehicle is in LIKE NEW condition I've always being told "the best we rate a car is good condition", even when it is beyond "good".

For that reason I only do in-and-out trade-ins, where I find my own buyer, set the selling price and the dealer just does the paperwork for a fee. An expensive fee, but I'm still ahead by several thousands plus the tax benefits.

If you do something like this, yes, you may recoup some of the PPF cost, otherwise, I concur with you, that might as well save up front and just lower the selling price for what PPF would have costed to install come sell time.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Question for those with PPF: Can you still get the "wet look" and natural shine of Carnauba wax if applied on top of PPF, or does it change noticeably the reflectivity of the paint and the look/feel of the bare paint?
I haven't done wax in many years, I only do ceramic coating now. But yes, you can apply the ceramic coating (and I assume wax if that's what you want to do although none of the detailers here do that anymore so I can't say for sure) on top of the film and it looks shiny and amazing. I really can't tell the film is there unless I look really close. I've had XPEL and Suntek on my cars, and I've had better luck with Suntek. The main thing to do is find the best installer you can. I get my film wrapped around the hood/fenders etc. so there are no visible film edges.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

For what its worth, all my Porsches have been bought used. I specifically look for cars that have PFF because I don't like rock chips and I like don the idea of re-touched or repainted body panels.

Last edited by JEllis; 03-20-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I had PPF on the front end of my RS (bought Feb. 2017) and skipped it on my C2S that I picked up two months ago. I'm stunned by how much rock damage the car has after less than 2K miles. Doesn't bother me, but it's noticeable. I'd probably PPF the front clip if I were buying new again.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I had PPF on the front end of my RS (bought Feb. 2017) and skipped it on my C2S that I picked up two months ago. I'm stunned by how much rock damage the car has after less than 2K miles. Doesn't bother me, but it's noticeable. I'd probably PPF the front clip if I were buying new again.
I really think the paint must be worse, or the shape of the newer cars makes the problem worse. I had a 997TT without PPF and I only had a couple of rock chips in my years of owning it, but my 991s take so much more damage than the 997 ever did. It's definitely a must on the 991.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

I get asked this question quite frequently.

my answer: if you walk out into your garage or out of the office and notice a rock chip on hood, bumper, or mirrors, would you be having a very bad day?

if thebhonest answer is YES, then you SHOULD consider clear bra.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

my answer: if you walk out into your garage or out of the office and notice a rock chip on hood, bumper, or mirrors, would you be having a very bad day?

In my case, I paid for the ppf, and still have the rock chip on the hood. Now that's a VERY bad day!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Exactly! It's an easy decision. If discovering a rock chip is gut-wrenching experience the answer is yes, if you don't mind them the answer is no. My wife drove by a construction rig dropping all kinds of debri a month after getting her BMW last year that riddled the bumper and a couple spots on the hood. I could've cried.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Best answer
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

my car comes in a few weeks...

I don't think I'm getting it. I hate the look. I'd rather have a few stone chips than the film.

I had it on a 2015 Corvette and hated it. Then last year I had a 2017 Corvette Z06 in Black - I beat the crap out of the car and didn't have it. I had a ton of stone chips. But when I traded it in they didnt even care.

Also the most important reason why I don't think I'll get it is I own a body shop so i can easily take off the bumper / hood and paint if needed which is last resort but I do have the option
Old 03-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triplekg
my car comes in a few weeks...

I don't think I'm getting it. I hate the look. I'd rather have a few stone chips than the film.

I had it on a 2015 Corvette and hated it. Then last year I had a 2017 Corvette Z06 in Black - I beat the crap out of the car and didn't have it. I had a ton of stone chips. But when I traded it in they didnt even care.

Also the most important reason why I don't think I'll get it is I own a body shop so i can easily take off the bumper / hood and paint if needed which is last resort but I do have the option
You would like the look on mine if you could see it.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
You would like the look on mine if you could see it.
Exactly. If you have a good installer you can not tell it is there.
I have a lot of neighbors and such that have come to see me car in the month since I got it. Lets face it the general driving non enthusiast public has no clue what PPF is. The people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them there is a clear wrap on it. When I point it out and have them feel an edge on the side mirror they are shocked as they would have never had a clue it was there without me pointing it out.

Quick Reply: Did you decide no on paint protection film?