Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you decide no on paint protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did you decide no on paint protection film?

I am having a hard time deciding to spend on PPF.

My 911 on order will be garaged and used mostly on the weekends.
I do not plan on taking it to the track.

Did you decide no on paint protection film?
If so could you share your reasoning?

any insight appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I am not in the paint protection camp. I actually do not like the stuff and took it off the Aston Martin the prior owner had put on. I enjoy a deep, rich paint finish and use Swissvax on my car - you can't get that sheen over film. A few paint nicks here and there don't bother me - shows the car is driven as intended.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 150 Posts

Speaking from someone who never has had cars with PPF prior to picking up my 911, it always seemed a bit nonsensical to me. Essentially you are wrapping your car in zip-lock bag with some self healing properties. Not to mention you will eventually have to remove it... and then likely wrap it again.

However, after viewing some examples locally that were slightly used to see if it actually makes a difference, it most certainly does. I literally viewed two 2017 non-metallic 911s side by side and it was noticeable to say the least. The one with PPF looked brand new - and yet had nearly double the mileage. I think I’m fairly certain I made an audible groan after the viewing as I couldn’t (or just didn’t want to) stomach the additional cost.

Look into it. It’s definitely not for everyone. If I were leasing, I wouldn’t bother.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:16 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

I got PPF for the first time.

Irrational reason(s): This is my first new Porsche, and I felt motivated to keep it pristine as long as possible. And even for the drive home from PEC Atlanta I wanted to mitigate rock chips (or at least fear of rock chips).

Rational reason(s): This is not my first Porsche, and I like to both drive as much as possible and keep cars as long as possible. My Boxster accumulated many miles, and quite a bit of road rash. I tried different methods for spot painting, and resisting having the front re-sprayed, but still lived with a car that bothered me every time I got close. And I looked at lots of cars with PPF, and while the film itself can look "experienced", in general, the cars with PPF looked better to me, compared to unprotected paint with the same miles.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

It has to be related to the conditions you drive in. Gritted roads in cold areas etc. Where I live there is no point in spoiling a deep rich carnuba shine with a plastic film, but if I lived in e.g. Colorado I would for sure cover it.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

It comes down to where the car is being driven and how particular you are. For clean roads (no sand/gravel) and no track use, I wouldn’t bother. But at the same time rock chips bug me.... I PPF
Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a big rock chip on my hood the first day I had my car, just driving it home from the dealer. Same thing happened to a friend of mine driving his home from the dealer. I'm not sure if the paint is just a lot worse these days, but PPF seems to be necessary.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I feel like it's too expensive for what it is (let alone the challenge of finding a top notch installer), but it really depends on how **** you are about paint and maybe how concerned you are about resale.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

My sense is the minimum recommended PPF to not look ghetto (due to partial coverage or difference in finish) is full front and mirrors. The car is low so that it tends to be a rock magnet. The last car I had with a low front lip spoiler and steep hood (not a 911) looked like garbage after 8k miles.
Another area I absolutely know will get hammered is the outer rim of paint located inside the rear sections of the wheel wells. I think I will add strips of ppf there as well. I don't think I can stomach spending more that $1500-1800 on top of the initial cost of the vehicle, but its possible to get this done by a good shop if you do some research.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

As others have mentioned, the challenge is to find a good installer. Or, have the car painted in an easy to maintain color, like white.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

In the long run its worth it to me for the lack of rock chips etc... If I was switching cars every couple of years, I probably wouldn't care. With PFF, despite having to replace it every 5 or so years, the paint will stay relatively perfect.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

My opinion has changed recently. I have the full front wrap on mine and about a year ago, I took a rock to the hood, went right through my Xpel wrap and through the paint to the aluminum. I had the wrap removed (yes, this costs money), the nick sanded smooth, some black paint and clear coat dabbed in the hole, and re-wrapped with 3M Ultimate (yes, more money). This past fall (yes, only about 6 or 7 months later), I took a few more rock hits, one that went through the 3M ppf, again to the aluminum (this one actually put a small visible dent in the hood) and two more smaller rock hits severely scratching the ppf beyond its healing abilities.

So, this time, because of the dent and the to-the-metal gouge combination, I will need to once again remove the ppf, have the hood repaired and painted and this time, I will not bother to ppf it again. If I will have to periodically get the hood repaired and painted, why go to the extra cost to add ppf, and again pay to have it removed each time. The benefit that I once believed in has now failed me twice. I realize ppf will not stop every rock hit, but with the luck I have had, I no longer see the benefit of the ppf.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Several considerations as others have said:
1. Value of car and impact of scratches/chips on resale - ie “generic” Porsche vs something more rare/collectible.
2. Miles driven
3. Paint colour is significant in terms of showing scratches.

My white all original paint white 964. VERY forgiving colour for not showing scratches. I just applied PPF to impact areas of hood, headlights, mirrors.

Same for GT3 - grey/black non-metallic. EVERY little scratch shows. I have whole front wrapped w Xpel. Hips were typically a bit marked up already when purchased. Would have wrapped whole car if new.

Most recently added new Tesla Model X as DD -black, non-metallic - you stare at that too hard and will scratch . I had whole vehicle wrapped. Wrap makes anything shinier which is nice. Bit tongue in cheek but can wash w steel wool mitt/be sloppy and you don’t scratch paint or lose ANY sleep

Like many, I hate scratches on my cars, which only bother me every single time I glance at car, yet they are all drivers .

Cheers

Mark
Old 03-18-2018, 11:44 PM
goals911
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the paint correction with the xpel wrap on the whole front end and finished off with a ceramic coating yes it’s expensive but I feel it’s worth it. Reallly does save the paint from chips and scratches.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had Xpel on my last three cars - two BMWs and now a 911. It kept the first BMW's front end pristine for 13 years, so I continued using it.

Extra bonus - I cleverly scraped the first BMW's front bumper cover against a yellow-painted curb in an airport parking garage. A few years later, when it was time to sell the car, I took the PPF off the bumper cover, and the remaining yellow paint went with the film, leaving the bumper cover clean and clear.

Quick Reply: Did you decide no on paint protection film?