Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MT
Standard leather
4-way seats

Rear wiper and model designation delete are good ideas
C4 is good

You should spec your own car and do European Delivery, make the memory more special

Do you have a J200? If they sold the Land Cruiser in Canada I would get that, but we have a Lexus GX460 instead.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:16 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll also not go with the front axle lift, if the standard height doesn't get you clearance for driveways etc then imagine 20mm lower on other models. Seat heating and even steering wheel heating would be obvious for your area. (Colorado on one occasion, is the coldest place I've ever been, and I've been in the Alps many times). 19" wheels, all-weather tires, 18-way seats for the plusher bum contact patch. Sorted.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:23 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
I'll also not go with the front axle lift, if the standard height doesn't get you clearance for driveways etc then imagine 20mm lower on other models. Seat heating and even steering wheel heating would be obvious for your area. (Colorado on one occasion, is the coldest place I've ever been, and I've been in the Alps many times). 19" wheels, all-weather tires, 18-way seats for the plusher bum contact patch. Sorted.
Take a look at your surroundings before deciding on the front-axle lift. In my Golden neighborhood, there are no curb cuts. Instead there's a hybrid curb that assumes everyone drives a pickup or SUV. To avoid scraping, my C2 requires a 45-degree diagonal approach and dead slow speed. I ended up putting some tubular, shredded-rubber filled bags into the gutter, in order to allow more comfortable, normal use.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Take a look at your surroundings before deciding on the front-axle lift. In my Golden neighborhood, there are no curb cuts. Instead there's a hybrid curb that assumes everyone drives a pickup or SUV. To avoid scraping, my C2 requires a 45-degree diagonal approach and dead slow speed. I ended up putting some tubular, shredded-rubber filled bags into the gutter, in order to allow more comfortable, normal use.
Wow, even with my 20mm lower height it is still better ground clearance than my Audi RS5 at the front. Point taken.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 AM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ll be driving it pretty much everywhere, including the grocery store, work, etc. So it’s going to see parking garages, speed bumps, and crappy downtown roads.

I figure if I go by myself, the passenger seat footwell along with the nonexistent trunk should fit a bunch of food.

And, yes, I have the 200 series. It’s the original one from 2008 before they changed all the bodywork. I have it lifted, bumper, rock rails, and skids installed.

It’s sort of my do everything truck.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Here's a photo of my solution to Colorado's Neanderthal curbs.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:51 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 123 Posts

My neighbor in Texas used Bridgit curb ramps for his Corvette to solve the Neanderthal curb problems.

Bridgit Curb Ramp
Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by txpackers
My neighbor in Texas used Bridgit curb ramps for his Corvette to solve the Neanderthal curb problems.

Bridgit Curb Ramp
I looked at those, and I think it's a good product. But my tire filled bags cost about $70 for 20 feet of coverage. The ramps cost $670 for the same width. As I'm temporarily in a rental, I was unwilling to make the investment.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

If I may suggest something you might not have considered when looking at the 911 lineup.

I love the look of the 911 coupe and wanted something that I could use daily. I tend to be more of an active, get your hands dirty type of individual that regrets carrying bottom paint to the boat after the fact. That being said, as much as I love the coupe, I felt it was too restricted to get "stuff" into for daily use. I chose the Targa for the functionality. I can pop the rear glass back and load up the space behind the rear seats; and then seal it back up in seconds. It is amazing what you can get in there by just lifting things into the back. It would be even bigger if the rear seats were removable! Fortunately, they fold flat... somewhat. I cut high density foam for the lower cushion extensions and then had a custom fabric cover made for the "hole". The utility and access to this space makes this car a keeper for me.

Just a FYI... I haven't had any issues where I wish I had the front axle lift system. I also got the rear wiper and it is great regardless of what the purists say. I'd strongly urge you to get what your heart wants. There is no such thing as a bad choice in this lineup. Please let us know what you decide. We are all in this together. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 PM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

The problem about these things is that the more you look at them, the more choices there are.

So I tried out all the seat choices and took an extended test drive.

The base 4 way Power Sport Seats are fine
I like the bare simplicity and looks of the 2WD base Carerra, the 4WD does grip a bit better
I can live with the bone stock car, except for maybe a rear wiper (functionality) and the sport exhaust tips that look nicer (not very expensive to add)
Dealer wasn't sure he could guarantee graphite blue metallic, but GT silver looks pretty cool, too
AT is good when stuck in traffic, but MT feels really good to drive--still can't decide. Feel like I'm going to regret either decision I go with
I tested a bunch of ramps and garages with the salesman looking like he was going to crap himself and the stock ride height and judicious driving seems to be fine, no need for hydraulic lift

Have to argue down the price and hammer out the specifics of the build, but I'm looking at "comfortably under 100k" for the 2WD base Carerra according to the sales staff.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 PM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Good lord, that is a diagonal curb.

I've seen some crazy stuff in CO, but whoever poured that driveway and sidewalk is a moran.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:08 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by LandCruiser
I already have a Land Cruiser and Tacoma for the really nasty stuff so I'm not really looking for an SUV.
It almost sounds like you are trying to make a 911 become a Macan though.
1) AWD -- Both have it
2) potential axle lift ( Macan doesnt need it)
3) 19 in snow or all season tires - Even Macan owners get two sets in the snow and the 19's aesthetically are rather basic .

How do you plan to use this 911 differently than you wold use a Macan ? have you even driven a Macan ?

BTW I have given up on anyone asking me to critique his build . I would say that 90 percent of the time the person ends up changing nothing and spends his time justifying why he isn't changing it.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope that doesn't screw up the drainage!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I hope that doesn't screw up the drainage!
It will, it'll make a four foot wide blob of snow and ice in the street.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
It almost sounds like you are trying to make a 911 become a Macan though.
1) AWD -- Both have it
2) potential axle lift ( Macan doesnt need it)
3) 19 in snow or all season tires - Even Macan owners get two sets in the snow and the 19's aesthetically are rather basic .

How do you plan to use this 911 differently than you wold use a Macan ? have you even driven a Macan ?

BTW I have given up on anyone asking me to critique his build . I would say that 90 percent of the time the person ends up changing nothing and spends his time justifying why he isn't changing it.
That's what I said.

Logically - a Macan will in fact be the [objectively] better car for him.

Emotionally he WANTS THE icon Can't blame him!

Quick Reply: Discuss my Carrera build