Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Park assist function

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Horrendous. Had no choice, sensors and back up camera came with my 991.2 GTS Coupe, which BTW provides GREAT visibility. Every time I parked in the garage at home or work, the idiot sensor would go off, to warn me of the obvious. Every time I started the car, the sensor would once again warn me of the obvious, with no way to disable the warning tone. I ended up reusing my tow hook mount from my Cayman GTS. Yes it sets off the right front sensor, but since I was always turning off the system at startup anyway, no matter.

And the backup camera? Mostly useless and misleading, since wide angle that doesn't show as much as when you look over your shoulder, and does not show accurate distance. Remember, looking over your shoulder when you back up?

My opinion only, but if you have a sports car you should develop a good sense of where your corners are, and not rely on something more appropriate for the SUV crowd. Leave it for the dimwit drivers of the automotive world.

Sorry for the rant. I respect those that live in urban environments, or have a cab, and find these aids convenient.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Sometime over all the years that these have been on cars, my eyes have become blind to them when they are nicely done like on most high end cars. Once that was out of the way the functionality won me over.

It probably influences my opinion that twice over the years before sensors I tapped a nice car into something behind me and those marks weren't nearly as pretty as the sensors.
This^^^^ The early types that looked like bumper warts were ugly but these tiny “rings” don’t bother me and a tooth pick cleans out the wax residue easily!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't have them at all, and wish the car had some rear backup protection at times. I don't mind the dimples personally on the rear.

I haven't had the time or dedication to look into the rear camera solutions....turned off by having to find a spot for the retrofit camera.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:27 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
My 991.1 C2 has a rear camera and front and rear parking assist. The parking assist sensors and display seems slow to react, but the car's corners are out of view from the driver's seat, so the system is quite helpful if you take your time in parking lot maneuvers.
Same for my 2017 C2. I find the camera more useful than the sensors. In fact, I wish the car also had a front camera. to make it easier to pull forward in a parking spot without risking the front spoiler.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:09 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mine all the time.. Pretty nice actually! Hard to see it as a detriment.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Both camera and sensors were standard in my 2018 991.2 cabrio. Wouldn't order a new car without them. Once you get used to the system, you can't look back.....
Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Same for my 2017 C2. I find the camera more useful than the sensors. In fact, I wish the car also had a front camera. to make it easier to pull forward in a parking spot without risking the front spoiler.
Personally, I would like a front camera added to the Left front bumper area so as to be able to see approaching cars when exiting a driveway and a SUV is blocking the view of oncoming traffic....
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a very early .1 so maybe things have improved, but the sensors are bad. They're too sensitive when driving down a narrow road (so close to parked cars), the display isn't helpful beyond green, yellow and red for proximity (with red still being a foot or so distance) and the logic seems flawed--why is the front alarm going when I'm in reverse backing out of a space?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
I have a very early .1 so maybe things have improved, but the sensors are bad. They're too sensitive when driving down a narrow road (so close to parked cars), the display isn't helpful beyond green, yellow and red for proximity (with red still being a foot or so distance) and the logic seems flawed--why is the front alarm going when I'm in reverse backing out of a space?
No, they haven't improved. What you describe is what I experienced on my 991.2 GTS.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:11 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
The front sensors "see" fairly far to the side of the nose and can help stop you from turning too steeply to the side and scraping the side of the nose against a wall or support beam while looking backward (or those dreaded three-foot tall yellow metal poles some places hide down low to protect electrical boxes and such). This comes into play in the tight parking garage spots I use at the office.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Park assist function