Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You could buy an S/GTS/GT3 for that kind of money...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:46 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

If you want it, and have the money, spend it and buy it.

At the end of the day, you can't take it with you.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:23 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

When you spend 100+ K car theoretically is not allowed to make mistakes.
You have to think what you want why you want it and just get it.

I was between T and GTS. I am not a race driver. Even the T will be much better than my current M2 although almost same specs.
A 911 is always a 911.
When I spec the T same as my GTS build was 10K less. Therefore I was sure that for 10K I will buy the extra 80hp, wide body, bigger brakes and GTS style.

I spend 6 months decide about the build. If I need leather interior, if I need luxury configuration or just focus on the driving pleasure.

I decided to proceed with a very light specs GTS in order to keep price as low as possible and focus only of performance specs such as RAS.
Car industry is changing fast. In 5 years from now the available cars will be totally different from today.
Therefore buy what you want and most probably consider that the car you will buy today will be extremely difficult to find it in the next decade.

GT3 was not an option for me as I had to buy a 4 seats car in order to enjoy family rides.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My build choice was easy - my wife had certain color/option choices required in order to get permission (concurrence) to buy. She still thinks it’s insane to spend this much on a car, but knowing she helped design it she is happier and gives her less plausible deniability ��
Old 03-11-2018, 09:24 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts

I will be in the total minority here having NOT "spec-ed" my C2S, but having simply fallen in love with it on the showroom floor.

I'm not being critical of the build-to-order ethos. How can you argue with the idea of ordering/getting EXACTLY what you want in a high-end (grail for some) automotive purchase?

But I have a slightly different way of looking at it.

There's your mental image of "love," what your perfect car would look like and have, from body style or model down to the very last piece of leather trim around the steering column. It's not unlike designing the perfect spouse. "If she/he was this way or that way, and looked like this and laughed like that and was this tall//had these color eyes/liked this kind of food/had this kind of personality...then I'd be happy. I'd have exactly what I want."

But then, there's the serendipity and delight of walking into a dealership, and among the sea of metal, seeing one that calls out and speaks to you. Maybe you weren't even really looking for it. But it catches your eye, and you walk over to have a look.

You're kind of smitten. Never really seen Graphite Blue Metallic in person. Wow—love the wheels. What are those? Carrera Classics? You sit inside. You didn't know you wanted rear-axle steering or PDLS or the GT Sport Steering Wheel. You check out the laminated window sticker lying on the dash (two-tone graphite blue/chalk), and scan all the goodies based on Porsche's (or someone else's) build.

And...you fall in love. Hard.

You could say, "if I ordered this I might not have gotten the Sport Design mirrors, and I kinda like the idea of a 4S, but then I probably wouldn't want to drive it in the crappy New England winters anyways, and I always thought I'd get one in GT silver with a bordeaux interior...and...and...and..."

But it's sitting right there, complete, with many things you want, some you didn't know you want, and maybe even some you don't totally care for, but that you might come to appreciate or love over time. And you say, "I could go through the whole build-to-spec process, but this one, this puppy—the one with the funny color and sparkly LED eyes, the one that wagged its (Sport Exhaust) tail and came right up and licked me—this is something I can and will love.

Then you shake yourself out of your reverie and go to work asking how long it's been sitting on the floor, if the warranty's been punched, and pressing (in a friendly but firm way) for a smoking discount, so they can move the metal and make room for a 2018.

Something to be said for love at first sight.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

MeshGearFox, I agree with you completely. I'm an instant gratification guy and when I found that It'd be several months for an allocation and another few for production and delivery, I found one at the dealer that had exactly what I wanted and had the front end lift which I didn't need. I'm totally delighted with mine and drive it now; not 7 months from now
Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by goldduster
MeshGearFox, I agree with you completely. I'm an instant gratification guy and when I found that It'd be several months for an allocation and another few for production and delivery, I found one at the dealer that had exactly what I wanted and had the front end lift which I didn't need. I'm totally delighted with mine and drive it now; not 7 months from now
That's exactly what I did, too. I was offered an allocation, but I had them find a car for me that was as close as possible instead so I could enjoy it sooner. It wasn't exactly how I would have specced it, but I'm not really missing much. I love the car, and I'm happy I got it. I did order my GT3 with my spec, the first time I've ever done that with a Porsche, and the 6-7 month wait is not going to be fun.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:54 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Don’t buy the most expensive car you can afford. Buy the least expensive one that will make you happy.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Don’t buy the most expensive car you can afford. Buy the least expensive one that will make you happy.
What I want:

What I can afford:

Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Hi Alex,

I think it was my comment that you refer to at the top of this thread.

I was merely trying to be helpful, in case the person in question did not realise that by adding a big spec, they were into GTS territory, price-wise.

I did not say "You should buy a GTS" but just wanted to ensure that the buyer had more info to hand (if they didn't already realise) before they went beyond the point of no return on their new car order.

Cheers,

Simon

Last edited by Wing Commander; 03-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Excellent point, no two 911s are alike just like no two persons are alike.

get it the way you want, every model/trim/option has its +/-.

I rather go with a lower model with all bells and whistles. But some are totally opposite.
everyone is right, no wrong here.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
That is SOOOO true!

I have seen some oddball builds and color combinations that would make me do a double take and think "what were they tinking????"

Just saw a 2017 Targa with less than 3,000 miles selling for around $115K (MSRP was over $130K when new. Way less than any other Targa I've seen anywhere else with that year and miles. If it had a more... er... "normal" color combination I would have bought it on the spot, as all other options were very desirable. But I just couldn't overlook the color combination on that vehicle. Granted, I could have wrapped the whole car for less than what others are selling for, but still, makes me wonder how much that owner lost in the trade. I would imagine that if you are going to get something that "unique" is because you would expect to keep it a lot longer than that. On the other hand, I saw a similar build with a great color combination (actually bought by a fellow forum member) with similar miles and even little higher MSRP that sold for nearly sticker and lasted less than a week at the dealer.

I actually saw another 911 that look beautiful with what seemed to be a matte finish that had been sitting for quite some time at the dealer. i couldn't imagine why, until I saw below the edge of the frunk that it was a completely different color! I was told they had to wrap it because apparently that was not a very popular color. After the wrap the car sold very quickly!

Food for thought.
Lol. Yes, the color thing is a factor in resale. I plan to order Miami Blue in November (unless the 992 turns out better than it currently looks) and my SA isnt thrilled, especially since it will be leased. He keeps calling it Barbie Blue but my masculinity isnt threatened, lol.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

@Dan - Same here - Miami Blue in Carrera T or Chalk in Carrera S is my favorite - unless 992 turns out to be better inside and out. Not thrilled about the new PDK baby shifter.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

IMHO your better off with less options and getting the higher trim level. I’d take a bare bones GTS or GT3 any-day.

I have a highly optioned C4S.1 cab and the only killer option is full leather. PDK was non-negotiable with the wife. I chose the C4S for the bigger motor and wide body. The rest are nice but really don’t add much to the driving pleasure. And Porsche charges heavily for these.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

Lol. Yes, the color thing is a factor in resale. I plan to order Miami Blue in November (unless the 992 turns out better than it currently looks) and my SA isnt thrilled, especially since it will be leased. He keeps calling it Barbie Blue but my masculinity isnt threatened, lol.
+1 Ordered a 991.2 GTS cab in white rather than MB which a family member talked me out of. Picking up a GT3 Touring next week....Miami Blue!! I know my son will hate it but don't care. I bet he will still ask to drive it though.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
+1 Ordered a 991.2 GTS cab in white rather than MB which a family member talked me out of. Picking up a GT3 Touring next week....Miami Blue!! I know my son will hate it but don't care. I bet he will still ask to drive it though.
I was just watching Nick Murray's review on driving a Miami Blue GTS. Watching his drive pictures on the road is much different than seeing it on a configurator or at a dealership. Some have mentioned that I might get tired of it, so I am saturating myself with photos and videos and the reverse seems to be true. I am thinking about moving my order up from November....

Quick Reply: You could buy an S/GTS/GT3 for that kind of money...