Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wingin' it (wing options for 991.2 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wingin' it (wing options for 991.2 GTS)

I love rear wings; yes they can be garish, tacky, etc. But the boy racer in me loves them. I want to get one for my 991.2 GTS, I see that Techart has a good option (as in, not a cheap piece of crap). I've also seen GT3 wings on eBay for 10k, which seems a little high. Are there any other options, outside of the Chinese eBay crap?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been looking around as well, and I haven't found much that looks worthwhile. I don't like the design of the Techart, but there's not much else I've seen in terms of wings. Vorsteiner has a nice carbon fiber lip, but obviously that's a lot more subdued than an actual wing. I'm guessing the cooling issues with the .2 turbo engines is limiting our choices.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:51 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The problem with the fixed wings I am aware of is that they all require the removal of the OEM spoiler. In the 991.2, this spoiler is no longer just a spoiler, it also controls airflow to the intercoolers. The ECU raises the spoiler at much lower speeds than the 991.1 when driving aggressively to let more air in the intercooler intakes to provide better intake air cooling and performance.

It helps to understand where the intercooler intakes are how the car manages them with the spoiler. Please take a look at this recent thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1053...ervations.html

You can certainly add a wing if you really want the cosmetics of it, but its good to know you will no longer achieve maximum engine performance if you do so.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

A big cup car like wing that is easily removable would be really cool to get that downforce going on track days (presumably paired w some gadgetry in the front as well of similar temporary nature)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I've been looking around as well, and I haven't found much that looks worthwhile. I don't like the design of the Techart, but there's not much else I've seen in terms of wings. Vorsteiner has a nice carbon fiber lip, but obviously that's a lot more subdued than an actual wing. I'm guessing the cooling issues with the .2 turbo engines is limiting our choices.
Originally Posted by StormRune
The problem with the fixed wings I am aware of is that they all require the removal of the OEM spoiler. In the 991.2, this spoiler is no longer just a spoiler, it also controls airflow to the intercoolers. The ECU raises the spoiler at much lower speeds than the 991.1 when driving aggressively to let more air in the intercooler intakes to provide better intake air cooling and performance.

It helps to understand where the intercooler intakes are how the car manages them with the spoiler. Please take a look at this recent thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1053...ervations.html

You can certainly add a wing if you really want the cosmetics of it, but its good to know you will no longer achieve maximum engine performance if you do so.
The Techart wing, looks like of frowny. If it was was more flat and a little higher like the GT3 wing, I'd be more willing to go that route.

From what I can tell, the Techart (and the 991.2 GT3 wing) have ram scoops to feed directly to the intakes/intercoolers. So I don't think there would be an issue running either of those wings. Fuel Mileage will obviously suffer due to the increase in drag.

Originally Posted by erko1905
A big cup car like wing that is easily removable would be really cool to get that downforce going on track days (presumably paired w some gadgetry in the front as well of similar temporary nature)
The problem with that, is that you would have to reflash the computer every time you install/remove the wing. As far as I know, only a a Porsche dealer can do that.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:00 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
The problem with that, is that you would have to reflash the computer every time you install/remove the wing. As far as I know, only a a Porsche dealer can do that.
You gotta let me dream once in a while

Why the reprogram - to stop the regular spoiler from working?

Quick Reply: Wingin' it (wing options for 991.2 GTS)