Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:29 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
Did the ticket get reduced to a normal moving violation or did it stay a class B misdemeanor?
I believe it did not get reduced.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:15 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Correction. Ticket was reduced to a lesser violation.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting thread.

What I am happy to see is most don't talk smack about the cop pulling the speeders over. After all - we all have been guilty (even if not caught) of pushing just a bit more than we should on the pedal. In large cities - the police are just doing their job. Based on personal experience as well as observations of similar experiences with friends and clients who have weekend residences in small towns (example being upstate NY near woodstock area) - the police, lawyers, and courts are as the original poster said - in cahoots.

In my case, perhaps 2 years ago - I spent the weekend upstate near White Lake, NY at my friends weekend house. It was about 7am and I am the official coffee maker. I noticed we were out of sweetener so I figured I'd take my car (at the time, a W222 S550 Mercedes) to the local dollar general. It's about 2 miles away from the house - and you travel on a very narrow lane - but pretty straight forward. I was exhausted from the previous night (nothing crazy - just late night bowling and sitting by the lake - I'm not much of a drinker anyway). I must have been going about 25 - 30 mph, just taking in the peaceful quiet morning upstate. A police officer was coming in the opposite direction and passed me. I continued on as I was. He made a U Turn, pulled me over, and claimed I was doing 57 in a 35. I'll swear on my ***** this was no doubt a cop pulling over an out of towner. I was probably going below the speed limit - or at the very most - AT the speed limit. I remember every aspect of the morning because as a Brooklynite - anything upstate is so peaceful and I was enjoying it slowly. Figured I'd show my array of PBA cards and NYPD badges / placards - and he said "we don't give a f*** about NYPD up here - put them away or you're going to jail". Got the ticket. Was ordered to appear in court a month later. Instead - I hired a lawyer for $400 who months later got it reduced to a parking ticket - had to pay the county $250 and $150 to the court. What struck me as odd is that the lawyer told me this would likely be the result from day 1. Which means he's done this before - which means its common enough for him to predict the outcome. It's a pure setup. Lawyer got $400. County/Court got $400 and I'm out $800 for doing nothing. Stupidly, I was putting off putting a dash cam in the car. The moment I switched to the 911 - I put a radar and a Blackvue in. I never want to be in a situation like that again. It was a total setup. We all know when we are speeding - we all know when we are not. None of us here can deny we enjoy a spirited drive. But all of us can know when we truly are being had.

I was had that day.

I do have a question though - what is involved with "Supervision"? What is that?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott

I do have a question though - what is involved with "Supervision"? What is that?
In Illinois, the court can give you "supervision". So, if during your supervision, you don't get another speeding ticket, it will not be listed as a conviction - so not reported to your insurance company and your rates wont change.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
In Illinois, the court can give you "supervision". So, if during your supervision, you don't get another speeding ticket, it will not be listed as a conviction - so not reported to your insurance company and your rates wont change.
So its like probation or giving someone a second chance not to surpass the speed limit again?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Very interesting thread.

What I am happy to see is most don't talk smack about the cop pulling the speeders over. After all - we all have been guilty (even if not caught) of pushing just a bit more than we should on the pedal. In large cities - the police are just doing their job. Based on personal experience as well as observations of similar experiences with friends and clients who have weekend residences in small towns (example being upstate NY near woodstock area) - the police, lawyers, and courts are as the original poster said - in cahoots.

In my case, perhaps 2 years ago - I spent the weekend upstate near White Lake, NY at my friends weekend house. It was about 7am and I am the official coffee maker. I noticed we were out of sweetener so I figured I'd take my car (at the time, a W222 S550 Mercedes) to the local dollar general. It's about 2 miles away from the house - and you travel on a very narrow lane - but pretty straight forward. I was exhausted from the previous night (nothing crazy - just late night bowling and sitting by the lake - I'm not much of a drinker anyway). I must have been going about 25 - 30 mph, just taking in the peaceful quiet morning upstate. A police officer was coming in the opposite direction and passed me. I continued on as I was. He made a U Turn, pulled me over, and claimed I was doing 57 in a 35. I'll swear on my ***** this was no doubt a cop pulling over an out of towner. I was probably going below the speed limit - or at the very most - AT the speed limit. I remember every aspect of the morning because as a Brooklynite - anything upstate is so peaceful and I was enjoying it slowly. Figured I'd show my array of PBA cards and NYPD badges / placards - and he said "we don't give a f*** about NYPD up here - put them away or you're going to jail". Got the ticket. Was ordered to appear in court a month later. Instead - I hired a lawyer for $400 who months later got it reduced to a parking ticket - had to pay the county $250 and $150 to the court. What struck me as odd is that the lawyer told me this would likely be the result from day 1. Which means he's done this before - which means its common enough for him to predict the outcome. It's a pure setup. Lawyer got $400. County/Court got $400 and I'm out $800 for doing nothing. Stupidly, I was putting off putting a dash cam in the car. The moment I switched to the 911 - I put a radar and a Blackvue in. I never want to be in a situation like that again. It was a total setup. We all know when we are speeding - we all know when we are not. None of us here can deny we enjoy a spirited drive. But all of us can know when we truly are being had.

I was had that day.

So where is the "setup"? Apparently neither you nor the lawyer argued a defective radar reading.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So its like probation or giving someone a second chance not to surpass the speed limit again?

Yes, if you don't get a ticket during your supervision period, you're good to go.

And, even if you do, there are ways to deal with that too - not sure how I know this, I heard it from a friend
Old 03-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary JR
So where is the "setup"? Apparently neither you nor the lawyer argued a defective radar reading.
I didn't argue anything. I left it up to the lawyer. It would have meant I had to return to upstate to defend myself. The lawyer told me how it would all go down and to trust him.

The setup was in how it began from the moment I was pulled over. I knew in my heart he was making up the charge. And when I heard from 3 other people going to the same town (it's a popular destination for Brooklyn's Russian/Ukranian community that they fell victim to the same situations, It isn't hard to put 2 and 2 together.

And quite literally, the results were exactly what the lawyer said they would be - to the T.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:38 PM
Brij02
2nd Gear

Default Question

Originally Posted by go.illini
Update: My buddy hired an attorney that specializes in these cases who was able to get his court date moved up by over a month. The final result was a $400 fine and 4 months supervision, plus attorney fee. He had no previous record.

Pretty good outcome in my opinion. Next up he's buying a good radar detector.
hey I was wondering what firm he used and also how much he was charged im currently in the same situation
Old 04-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Brij02
2nd Gear

….

Last edited by Brij02; 04-21-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:12 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Brij02
hey I was wondering what firm he used and also how much he was charged im currently in the same situation
get the app Off The Record

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Chicago