Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:40 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife got nabbed for the same thing--32 over right at the beginning of a construction zone by O'Hare (lower speed limit and bigger fines so a good place for the cop to meet a monthly quota in a morning). Definitely get a lawyer who deals with this. Everyone in court with a lawyer goes first and every case up to and including hers resulted in a fine, court costs and supervision (the ticket doesn't go on your insurance record if you're clean for 90 days). Everyone representing themselves goes after the lawyered. I hung around the courtroom as my wife was paying--it's an interesting world I suspect those on this forum don't normally see.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Add greater Chicago to the list of places to avoid, at least when driving.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

My last ticket, and only one in 20 years, CHP clocked me on radar at 105 in a 65. Not only did he not impound, he wrote me for only 79 so I was still able to take defensive driving! CHP rocks in my book.
The following users liked this post:
timothymoffat (04-21-2023)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
It’s really the same here in IL as well. 80-85mph in the left lane on 88 heading towards the city is pretty much just keeping up with traffic. I have seen a lot of State cops doing enforcement on 294 (especially north of 88) but for the most part, we don’t see much in the west burbs.

The aggravated speeding tickets are pretty rare. You either have to just come across the wrong cop or pissed off one prior or during the stop. Spirited driving on any of the highways outside of peak traffic hours, especially at night is a risk. ISP has to make a certain number of stops per shift and with less traffic at night, it means they will be more likely to grab you.

Another fun fact: ISP has a no-pursuit policy for violations that are not a forcible felony. Fleeing and Eluding is a Class A Misdemeanor, same as 30+ over the limit. If you pass a State cop doing 100mph +, it may be best to just keep going. They will not have your plate and they are not allowed to pursue for traffic violations. Fleeing and Eluding is extremely hard to prove in court and the burden is on the state to show that you saw the cop and lights/sirens but ignored them.

I’m not suggesting running from the cops is a good idea but if you are doing 100mph + at night with no traffic around, you may just want to give it a little more gas lol...
Nice thought...but ah nope..with my luck. Also you may outrun him but as a buddy of mine in law enforcement once told me you will NOT outrun Motorola! So if you chose that route you better go pull off the road and park in the bat cave somewhere lest you come across another member of the law enforcement community who got the bulletin to look out for said sports car! LOL
Old 03-12-2018, 06:29 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Nice thought...but ah nope..with my luck. Also you may outrun him but as a buddy of mine in law enforcement once told me you will NOT outrun Motorola! So if you chose that route you better go pull off the road and park in the bat cave somewhere lest you come across another member of the law enforcement community who got the bulletin to look out for said sports car! LOL
LOL First of all I don’t condone any of this but it’s a fun topic to discuss because there are a lot of misconceptions about pursuit policies and the penalty for specific violations. Prior to starting my businesses, I was a cop in Chicago and LA for almost a decade. Out in CA, they pretty much have a “pursue until the wheels fall off” policy for pretty much any violation. So ,you are not outrunning the cops or the radio out there.

However, here in IL that’s not the case. Unless you commit a forcible felony, if an IL copper turns on the lights and sirens and doesn’t immediately see your brake lights come on, they must terminate the pursuit. End of story.

Now if a cop is on your *** when the lights come on, you are pretty much done since they will have your plate. But the main scenario (and I have seen this dozens of times) where you will most likely get away every time is if you pass ISP on the highway at night doing 100mph + and simply don’t stop, increase speed, and get off at the next exit. ISP first of all won’t pursue, so the “you can’t out run a Motorola” saying goes out the window and local jurisdictions won’t be looking for you until there is an ISPERN broadcast which will likely be extremely vague and won’t go out until you are probably already safely back in your garage lol...

The craziest part of the entire thing is the above violation of Fleeing Eluding carries no higher a charge than the class A aggravated speeding you are already committing. This is just another example of how messed up IL is lol... There is literally no insensitive to not try your luck at getting away.

To be clear, my official recommendation is that if you see lights and sirens, pull over. I’m just providing facts that most people that haven’t had a chance to live in that world, wouldn’t normally know about

Last edited by phow; 03-12-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

So, what I'm hearing, is grab a lower gear, right foot down, turn off lights, and look for next exit and a big open barn.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Different Tact

The ticket cliinic here in Florida makes things easy. $75 and it goes away. Always get an attorney and ride them. As a speeding ticket case you are small potatoes so they probably are not going to earn the money. Call the clerk of the court you are getting ready to visit and ask them who the defending lawyers they see most. These are the people most likely to have a relationship with the prosecutor and judge. Hire them and explain you need this to go away regardless of cost or time due to your job clearance. Send them a copy of your work I'D. Call them the day before court date and reiterate that you need this to go away, not be pled down. This way the lawyer will actually work and even if they do plead down it may be lower than if you just asked for help.

QUOTE=phow;14860295]If he gets himself a good attorney and just goes for supervision and a fine, he will most likely have this wrapped up in a couple months. Supervision for this type of violation is generally anywhere from 6-24 months depending on his record and the judge's mood that day. I wish him the best of luck![/QUOTE]
Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
So, what I'm hearing, is grab a lower gear, right foot down, turn off lights, and look for next exit and a big open barn.
There is a reason you don't see many motorcycle riders in traffic court

Granted, I really don't drive like I used to back in my 20's and I can probably count on one hand how many times I have briefly taken my 911 past 100 mph. But if I was doing 35mph or more over the limit (class A) in front of ISP, I would be tempted seeing as Misdemeanor Fleeing and Eluding is just another traffic ticket and almost always gets tossed at the court date since it is damn near impossible for the State to prove. Felony Fleeing and Eluding, now that is a different story lol...
Old 03-12-2018, 10:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

There is a reason you don't see many motorcycle riders in traffic court

Granted, I really don't drive like I used to back in my 20's and I can probably count on one hand how many times I have briefly taken my 911 past 100 mph. But if I was doing 35mph or more over the limit (class A) in front of ISP, I would be tempted seeing as Misdemeanor Fleeing and Eluding is just another traffic ticket and almost always gets tossed at the court date since it is damn near impossible for the State to prove. Felony Fleeing and Eluding, now that is a different story lol...
How do I wire a brake light kill switch?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Imagine getting jail time for that, and making the acquaintance of your new cellmates:

"What you in for?"
"Speeding"
"What? That's bull****. How fast were you going?"
"Eightyfive".
"What car do you have?"
"Er... Nine eleven"
"What's that?"
"Uhm... Porsh".
"..."
That is exactly what would happen to you in the Commonwealth of Virginia...

Old 03-12-2018, 06:54 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

In most cases, it simply means as long as you don’t rack up any additional charges during the supervision period, the violation will drop off your record.

Very rarely are other restrictions imposed (e.g. can’t leave the state, etc) during the supervision period.

I was was never a traffic cop but I was around guys that were and got to see a lot of these cases play out in court while waiting for my cases. I get the whole “class B misdemeanor” thing is scary but in all reality, as long as you get a lawyer and don’t have a terrible record, the only pain will be to your wallet.
What happens if you're stopped for speeding 30 mph over the limit in Illinois, and you're from out-of-state?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:01 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by cometguy
What happens if you're stopped for speeding 30 mph over the limit in Illinois, and you're from out-of-state?
Residency really doesn't change anything. If you are operating a motor vehicle in IL or any other state, you are expected to know and comply with state and local laws.

If you were cited/arrested for aggravated speeding in IL, you would deal with the same consequences as any IL resident but would also have the inconvenience of making several road trips to your court dates.

Some out-of-staters that have no intention of ever being back within a certain state may say "screw it" and just not show up or forget about the charge but you can expect to end up with a suspended IL license number (they will generate one for you) and possibly a warrant for your arrest (unlikely). The license suspension will also be reported to your state of residence. Most states will also suspend your driver's license if you are suspended in another state.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

To the OP i hope you work it out. At least you weren’t this guy:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...d92f8ec9175720
Old 03-12-2018, 07:20 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I believe the recommendation is don't stop until your across the state line.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:54 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Update: My buddy hired an attorney that specializes in these cases who was able to get his court date moved up by over a month. The final result was a $400 fine and 4 months supervision, plus attorney fee. He had no previous record.

Pretty good outcome in my opinion. Next up he's buying a good radar detector.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Chicago