Old 03-08-2018, 03:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default FVD TUNING REVIEW

Product Here: https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9916182...lash-tool.html

With Filters: https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9911002...hp-336-tq.html

With Headers and filters: https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9911002...hp-343-tq.html

I've done a header review and added tuning. Now my plenum and filters are in and the tuning is added. No Dyno numbers yet but coming although unfortunately not same day, same conditions type of review I like to do. As a PSA: if you're considering headers and tuning then this is a compelling package since FVD essentially gives the tuning away for free in the deal. FVD headers are the most expensive I have seen but as a package it becomes one of the rare bargains all together.

The physical device.... Designed in the 90's (speculation) by dimsport, simple yet effective. You get a cable to plug into your laptop and a cable to plug into your car and a neat USB drive with the software to download to your computer. Nowhere near as trick as Cobb's Accessport and certainly not something that you leave plugged in and mounted like Cobb. More of a tune, unplug it and hide it. No cool points for deign here.... But it works fine.

Software: The software for the application is old. It is written in .Net 2.0 - so we're talking Windows 7 stuff here. The menu on your laptop will remind you what it was like to use a computer 20 years ago. Also - you do need a windows machine. Windows 7 or 8 make it run better. No support for mac. This is where my derogatory comments end.

Tune & Support: Once you get everything downloaded on your computer, plug into your car through the OBD port and download your car's file. Once that is complete, send that file to FVD and tell them what mods if any you have done. For this instance, I wanted to check things iteratively so I did a Header tune and a Plenum + Filters tune. The turn around time from Germany was incredible. Also - cool points since my car was tuned by a cat named "Dragan." So I am looking for puns to integrate a Dragon car or something catchy to make it sound more sophisticated. If you email the [typically blackhole] tuning email address you get a responce within 15 minutes during the day and a couple of hour lag on weekends. If you ever change a mod - simply email them and a file shows up - so fast as if a dragon flew it over. The quality of the tune and smoothness of the car with the tune is perfect. The car idles just like stock and the power is smoother (especially as the cam open up) than stock with a car that is much beefier and more eager to be revved and accelerate.

For the Header tune I could feel the car pull a lot harder down low and the dip when the cam opens was a lot smoother. The power wasn't WOW OMG so much faster but you could tell it was better, sharper and smoother.

Post Plenum & Filter/ Pre tune the car was a little rough on idle and not as much sound (side note the controller for the valves on my exhaust died so its in loud mode until I address this). More on this later but the sound is great and the car is more eager to rev.

Plenum + Filter + header tune is incredible. The whole car is sharper and more responsive. Noticeably so. This weekend my car has a coffee date with a GTS to compare. The car runs and idles MUCH smoother with the plenum and tune than without the tune. Low end is stronger through the mid and the car keeps pulling more eagerly than ever before. Throttle response is incredibly sharper and still linear but a lot more guts at this point. The sound is epic in the car as the intake sound has much more meat to it and a lot less airy. This is not a cheap proposition however, each of these mods compounds with the tune. It is like a new car and completely refreshed by unhealthy obsession with her.

Value: ~$5K together. ~$6.3K if bought a la carte. If you buy Cobb, another TUV approved header, Plenum and filters the cost is within 2.5%. Less than half of an X51 Kit for Parts and ~%80 off the install rate of going X51. Obviously this is aftermarket and not OEM however the quality is at least OEM. Was it worth it? To me; YES. But 5K for 30-50bhp (pending a dyno) compared to a boosted car this is laughable - yup, we get it. For the NA engines, this is pretty maxed out for reliable, proven upgrades. Anything else would be a science experiment short of going to a 4.0L and that route would be cheaper to sell and get a 991.1 GT3.

Last edited by R_Rated; 03-08-2018 at 04:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by R_Rated:
badapag (02-23-2024), Guards_Red_991 (02-23-2024)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty ghetto looking and working device compared to the Cobb V3 at similar price.

Who in their right mind would buy that POS? Must have gotten a sale deal/price for combining this junk with their headers.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:29 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Nino
Pretty ghetto looking and working device compared to the Cobb V3 at similar price.

Who in their right mind would buy that POS? Must have gotten a sale deal/price for combining this junk with their headers.
It is a little dated but the software it delivers and the people delivering it are on par with anything else out there if not better.

In the next couple months I am hoping to connect with a regional buddy with the same mods but different brand headers and a Cobb tuning for some comparisons.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:15 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice write-up.... glad to see someone taking the time to do some real world documentation on some popular mods.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Nicely written R! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share all of this.
I'll be interested to see how your upcoming tests turn out, so please keep us informed.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino

Who cares? If the tune showed up on a 5 pack of floppy disks I wouldn’t care as long as it works...
Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

You are making me get the mod itch, BTW.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You are making me get the mod itch, BTW.
The change is not subtle.... wait till you hear about my new suspension

I love my exhaust but do regret not doing this first. Actually - I go back and forth because I feel the way now that I did when she first came home a few years ago so its a good refresh.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you are enjoying the headers and software R_Rated. I just wanted to add a little bit more information about our products for members.

FVD Headers Detail:
Many people ask how our exhaust components compare to others on the market. They want to know what sets our systems apart from the competition. The answer is simple, racing.M&M Exhaust GmbH produce our exhaust line and the headers that R_Rated reviewed above and here…

M&M is primarily a racing manufacturer and have exhaust systems running in these racing series: IMSA, WEC, Porsche Super Cup, Carrera® Cup Deutschland, ADAC GT Masters, VLN, FIA GT1 / GT Series and Deutsche Rallye Meistershaft. They also produce the current Cup R and RSR exhausts for the boys in Weissach. Not one of our competitors can make that same claim.

As we all know, racing developments translate to higher performing street cars and the same is true for our street exhausts. M&M’s experience and design prowess equates to some of the lightest, most powerful and most reliable exhausts available, hence the reason that we use them.

FVD Software Detail:
We employ 3 Software Engineers in Germany, they have been developing Porsche® software since 1983 (that’s 35 years of experience). Each is trained by Bosch and Siemens in Germany and has undergone a 2-year apprenticeship program before being allowed to even write code. Unlike many of our competitors, our only focus is software for Porsche®. That fact allows us to bring you the most polished, factory-smooth and powerful aftermarket software products for Porsche®.

The engineers develop and test our software on a Mustang Dyno MD-AWD-800-DE four-wheel dynamometer, with the Insoric Real Power Dyno System (video below) and on the Autobahn (video below).

Each of our programs is custom-written per the vehicle's modifications. We also have the advantage of programming specifically for our exhaust components. So, for R_Rated, Dragan made a software file specifically for the FVD Headers and another file for the header, plenum and BMC filters. That equates to extracting maximum performance gains over an OTS (Off the shelf) tune for a similar price point.

Each of our maps are tied into the vehicle's sensor information so with differing variations in climate, throttle, altitude, exhaust gas temperature and octane our software automatically adjusts to give you superior performance and a factory-smooth feel. We also adjust the software to accommodate 91-100 North American ((RON+MON)/2) and Rest of World 95-104 (RON) octane automatically (adjusts timing and knock sensors accordingly). We also have a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you want to test how our software compares to the competition, be our guest.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (02-23-2024)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Thanks Rhonda for the clarification.

I've spent much time in my professional career with some of the largest manufacturers in the world. Many of these companies use very primitive tools. My comments around the soft loader were accurate and objective but not meant to be a deterrent. The Loader is an old school and proven device. I'll add that some companies to have a very "bling" softloader but A: use very generic tunes and B: you'll spend considerably more for significantly less training and expertise. The tune is what you should be evaluating and FVD knocked it out of the park with some very expensive employees. I can rattle off 13 different competitors that make tunes for our cars; some better known than others.... Just like the quality of the exhaust, the tune is spectacular - The smoothness was felt after the header install and more significantly after the plenum + filters.

FVD is not a low price competitor but as I mentioned, it starts looking very financially attractive with one of their bundles.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Great write up and info. Have 2013 991S with BMC filters, Akrapovic Ti exhaust and IPD plenum already done...so helps with my header decision and tune! Decisions...decisions.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 AM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

R, were you able to get the car on a dyno run?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:45 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 13mit
R, were you able to get the car on a dyno run?
Yes but I never got the sheet(printer was broken). Care made 39 more whp and 38 more wtq. The biggest surprise though was the leveling out and curve around where the car dips stock when cam comes on. More than just the peak power is how available the power is between revs and responsiveness. The driving experience is not a subtle difference.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that is a shockingly good improvement. Getting the mod tingle over here as well...
Old 04-13-2018, 04:58 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 13mit
Wow that is a shockingly good improvement. Getting the mod tingle over here as well...
The real improvement isn't so much the power but the way it makes power and responds I'm still not sure if it's a good ROI.... that 10% gain took a lot of $ per HP but such is life without boost! I have some relationships with shops in DC area if you're looking for an installer. PM me if you want input.

Quick Reply: FVD TUNING REVIEW