Sponsored by:

FVD HEADER REVIEW 991#1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default FVD HEADER REVIEW 991#1

This a v2 iteration on the Red Dragan's(not misspelled) journey. See my last header review here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1038...rs-review.html

FVD Headers: https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9910121...atalytics.html

First impressions on quality. There are some interesting characteristics of these headers. The outside flanges seem to be tac welded. Inside they are clearly welded all the way around. Will get to some pictures in a second. Welds are stacks of dimes everywhere and the design of the 3-1 collector is very nice. The insides include a smooth transition with no obstacles for turbulence. Also, the flanges are very beefy. FVD uses the company that OEMs for Porsche and is TUV certified. A very high quality product.

Design. I mentioned the great design of the 3-1 collector. This is a very fluid design which is vastly improved from the Soul product(unique flaw isolated to the 991.1 race headers only from what I have seen). The runners are some of the shortest in the market from all I have seen. This does have a material impact on sound and power. The design on these when compared to Soul or OEM does make installation much more interesting but not insurmountable. There are just parts of the headers that need creativity to get around to tighten the bolts. I really appreciate the access I had to work with on the Soul and OEM headers. One things that I really like about the FVD design is the compact footprint that completely tucks in under the car. Soul, Cargraphic and some other brands do hang lower than everything else in the car.

Sound. I think these are just slightly louder than OEM with the 200 count cel cat. The volume of the IPE exhaust with the valves open is definitely not as loud or as violent at the SOUL race headers but the sound is also significantly more refined and less race car. With a valved exhaust; I'd not hesitate to recommend the shear ferocity of race headers but it would be a but much without a quiet mode. Perhaps the sound may open up a bit more with some break in.

Power. Consistent with my last review; the car sat on the dyno. Clear ECU > measure > install > clear ECU > Measure. Same day, same dyno, same settings. Printer was broken so we must wait for that. Highlights, Gained 11 peak RWHP over the race headers with the FVD sport headers. Why? Design and the collector construction. I mentioned the short tube design as well. This produced significant low and mid range averaging about 18 hp as well as a much smoother line where the cam opens up. I believe that header designs like Cargraphic would outperform these on top end but lose some of the low/mid range.

Driving. I haven't had a chance to really push these yet but I feel like the low range feels a lot stronger - it's weird to feel more power and less sound. The goldilocks effect is there for me with regards to tone and volume.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Old 03-03-2018, 08:15 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

R_Rated are you going through every 991 header on the market? Thanks on behalf of everyone.

As good as FVD might be, Soul still seems alone in its price category.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:56 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by erko1905
R_Rated are you going through every 991 header on the market? Thanks on behalf of everyone.

As good as FVD might be, Soul still seems alone in its price category.
Ha! I’ll do as many reviews as I have the opportunity to do

Soul is alone in its price category but Soul and FVD each have very different value propositions. FVD is the most expensive I have seen @~$4,000 but the quality, construction, materials and design are very different than Soul and most others. I’d recommend Soul to any street car looking to sound as angry and loud as possible!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Do aftermarket headers make a bigger or smaller difference than exhaust?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Do aftermarket headers make a bigger or smaller difference than exhaust?
Bigger difference in power. Headers > exhaust.

Race headers (no cats) make equal difference in sound.

Sport headers (sport cats) mildly affect sound.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
... was it's weird to feel more power and less sound...
"Sounds" like a 991.2. Maybe it's time to return to OEM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

$4K + install for 11hp. To each his own, but you'd have to threaten me with being deported to the Taliban to get me to spend my money like that.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Cliff's Notes on 911 exhausts: the only power to be gained with aftermarket headers is on the 1975-1994 911's, which didn't use headers, but unequal length manifolds. You can't improve on the early headers. You can't improve on the 993 headers. And you really can't improve on the 991's. These are all equal-length designs. You can use aftermarket headers to move the power curve around the RPM range a tiny bit, but it's so minuscule I don't really understand why anyone bothers.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:36 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_Rated

Ha! I’ll do as many reviews as I have the opportunity to do

Soul is alone in its price category but Soul and FVD each have very different value propositions. FVD is the most expensive I have seen @~$4,000 but the quality, construction, materials and design are very different than Soul and most others. I’d recommend Soul to any street car looking to sound as angry and loud as possible!
I guess a more fair comparison would be an FVD catless vs the Soul catless since quite a bit of that price difference is for the cats as well as possibly the quality of construction that you've observed.

My Soul headers are still in the box - I'll hopefully get a chance to install + get a pro-tune on a local AWD Mustang, will post if I get any gains and if not I do like angry & loud sounds anyways
Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Churchill
Cliff's Notes on 911 exhausts: the only power to be gained with aftermarket headers is on the 1975-1994 911's, which didn't use headers, but unequal length manifolds. You can't improve on the early headers. You can't improve on the 993 headers. And you really can't improve on the 991's. These are all equal-length designs. You can use aftermarket headers to move the power curve around the RPM range a tiny bit, but it's so minuscule I don't really understand why anyone bothers.
With all due respect, 911 or not, catalytic converters are catalytic converters; and they're almost always the most restrictive section in any exhaust setup - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 10-20 whp w a tune which does make a difference if it's sustained through a significant portion of the power curve.

I do agree 4k is a bit spicy though.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:48 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

$4k for some poverty gains.

such is the NA lyfe.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:48 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I guess a more fair comparison would be an FVD catless vs the Soul catless since quite a bit of that price difference is for the cats as well as possibly the quality of construction that you've observed.

My Soul headers are still in the box - I'll hopefully get a chance to install + get a pro-tune on a local AWD Mustang, will post if I get any gains and if not I do like angry & loud sounds anyways
Correct. Cats are expensive. Tune will be key. Getting more air in will be key. Happy to have a healthy increase though!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:50 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nino

$4k for some poverty gains.

such is the NA lyfe.
I've been there done that. I'm glad to take a break from turbos.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:45 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

With all due respect, 911 or not, catalytic converters are catalytic converters; and they're almost always the most restrictive section in any exhaust setup - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 10-20 whp w a tune which does make a difference if it's sustained through a significant portion of the power curve.

I do agree 4k is a bit spicy though.
Agree, but headers aren't cats. Different components. And I doubt the 991's stock cats are restrictive on a stock engine. And yeah, a tune will yield a tiny bit of power, but that again has nothing to do with the exhaust -- that's ignition timing and AFR's. I wish it were otherwise, but Porsche just doesn't leave much power on the table in the NA engines. I guess you could do cat bypasses and a live remap and get 10-20hp. But in a 400hp car, is it really worth it?

Quick Reply: FVD HEADER REVIEW 991#1