991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how I learned to not hate auto start-stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018 | 12:09 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

I'm thinking about ordering the T-Design memory module for the 991.2 that'll remember where the Auto Start/Stop button was in when the car was last in use. It'll also remember if the car was in Sport/Sport+ and PSE modes. Anyone here have experience with one?
Old 03-08-2018 | 12:45 AM
K-A
Drifting

I'm used to it from previous cars so I don't mind it. Coasting is a great feature that saves a lot of city MPG (which is horrible on this car, unlike highway where it's quite good). It's also a lot faster and more refined on my 2012.5 911 than it was on my 2015 Macan S. Also, the auto stop/start rarely happens on my car anyways as I don't drive it much, so it seems the computer won't activate it unless driven a lot. Also, when I drive it, it's usually for fun, so I'm in Sport/Sport+ anyway.

Oh, also, hearing the N/A flat 6 rumble up each time is a treat.
Old 03-08-2018 | 01:17 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

I leave my auto-start off all the time. I think of Sport mode as the fun button since it also opens up PSE. Pushing it is the first thing I do after starting the car. I have a 991.1 but I can't imagine not doing the same thing in a 991.2.
Old 03-08-2018 | 02:27 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnolan

My GTS is a daily driver for me and on most days I just want to get from A to B. The thrill of fast high rev shifts and loud exhaust is fun at the track and on dedicated drives, but around town it gets a little old. On the other hand, my kids do like it when I pick them up from their schools in my Cobra and we make a game of how many car alarms we can set off of the way home.
Don't let the wise cracks get you, I am in the same boat with my .2 C4

At first I hated it like most everyone else but then I realized I didn't mind it as I also drive around town and running errands in normal mode. I don't need to be doing spirited driving going from home to work sites or home to Costco, etc and let the PSE fart in front of pedestrians at 10 MPH overrun.

Don't even really notice auto start stop anymore. A lot of people are just stuck in the past or loathe change, especially 911 owners and I am just as guilty of that as anyone, but once I had a more open mind, didn't mind. Same philosophy for the new turbo engines.

When I want to get on it and just enjoy the road and some spirited driving, then I put it in sport mode and voila, no "A/S/S"
Old 03-08-2018 | 02:54 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

As others, I like the coasting, and stop/start at a two minute light. With the mode **** in the wheel it's super simple to switch around so I'm not clear why there is a problem. Fyi the Macan has the sport button(s) down in the center console next to seat heating, so groping around out of eye line puts the seat heating on too often, and the stop/start select isn't better to find.
Old 03-08-2018 | 08:56 AM
gforcealt
Advanced

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yeah I get it....I have a 991.2 Manual so there is no use for me at all for this function. I have to turn it off every time I start the car now.... Different than my 981 and 991.1s. It is really annoying.
I've a manual, too, and in a manual, the auto start/stop is a different (and for me, welcome) beast, because you have a say over when it shuts the engine off. With a manual, you have to be out of gear and clutch out for the engine to shut off. I only do this for long stops, and prefer the quiet of the of the engine off during long stops. With a manual, it'll never shut the engine off while you're navigating a parking lot or shut the engine off only to immediately start it back up - the two most annoying aspects of auto start/stop on automatics. In fact, my Porsche is the first and only of our cars where the start/stop gets used. The others with start/stop are/were autos.
Old 03-08-2018 | 09:50 AM
computertom
Rennlist Member

I daily my 911.2 and drive through Boston every day. It took me a bit of time to get used to it, but now I really like it. When I want it off, it's off. But most drives around here are not spirited and I am continually impressed by when it shuts off and starts back up and the fact that I'm not just sitting their idling all the time. I feel like I can watch the gas gauge go down on my C63 when I commute in it...
Old 03-08-2018 | 10:58 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Maybe it depends upon the traffic you encounter, but I still haven't gotten to like it in my 991.2. Each time I start out with a cold engine I use Normal mode to keep RPMs down until the engine is warmed up. On the highway I'll use Normal some too to optimize fuel economy. The other day on a long residential street I was stunned to see the car was loping in 7th gear at 37mph. I'm guessing between the available torque in the .2 and its PDK's "virtual gears" feature this became possible.

But back to the thrust of the topic: The reason I hate it as much as I do is I figure some folks might think I stalled the car at the traffic light or stop sign... especially given the throaty vroom it gives out on restart. I also wish it had a small delay built in, since just coming to momentary stop at a stop sign or crosswalk causes it to kill the engine too... all for a fraction of a second of supposed savings... and pedestrians on the corner or crosswalk possibly thinking I stalled the car or even rev-bombed them a little (due to the restart) as they clear the crosswalk.
Old 03-08-2018 | 01:42 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pointbye
How fast are the turbos spinning at idle?

Don't know how fast the turbos are speeding at idle, but if you are a spirited driver and your engine is already at normal or higher operating temperature, several start stops could have an effect.

On another forum there was a picture of a 991.2 turbine shaft with 4.000 miles that showed bearing contact. The theory was that the loss of oil pressure during a stop lets the shaft move and contact the journal bearing.

This hasn't been proven yet but just in case and since in the city were I live there's traffic lights in every corner, I just disable the auto start/stop function.

Old 03-08-2018 | 02:00 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

I love the auto start-stop on my wife's Lexus RX450h. It works great with the hybrid system. I hate it on my 991.2. It just seems clunky compare to the Lexus. Yeah I know, you really can't compare. In the winter I usually drive the car a couple of miles in normal mode and the auto start-stop does not engage because the engine is still too cold. Then I switch to sport mode.
Old 03-08-2018 | 03:00 PM
mlnr
Advanced

I'm confused. I have a 991.2 manual, my auto start stop is always off. I've never have to push the button or change drive modes. Is it not supposed to be that way? I selected "off" from one of the settings options, and it's always off.
Old 03-08-2018 | 03:16 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Not a fan of Auto Start/Stop in my 991.2 Cab..... plus I'm really worried about what is going to happen with the turbos by the sudden lack of lubrication every other couple of minutes. For highway is OK and I like the fact that you can coast without having the transmission engaged, but in the city and heavy traffic, the history is different.
Is the coast feature only part of the 991.2 setup, or also for 991.1 cars?
I always have the start/stop turned off so far, and didn't even know about a potential coast function. I'll try it next time I am on the freeway, but if anybody knows for sure, please let me know.

On my BMW the auto start/stop button is right next to my start/ignition button and sometimes I accidentally I turn on the feature. And it freaks me out when the car all of a sudden turns off at a stop sign. Worse yet, it also turns off power steering function and that really scares you when that happens for the first few times.

I am not sure about the feature in general. Sure it saves fuel. They say it saves up to 10%. But what does it do to your starter, and does it cause the starter to fail sooner? It seems like it would, and then you have that extra expense.
Old 03-08-2018 | 03:23 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fünfer
I always have the start/stop turned off so far, and didn't even know about a potential coast function. I'll try it next time I am on the freeway, but if anybody knows for sure, please let me know.

On my BMW the auto start/stop button is right next to my start/ignition button and sometimes I accidentally I turn on the feature. And it freaks me out when the car all of a sudden turns off at a stop sign. Worse yet, it also turns off power steering function and that really scares you when that happens for the first few times.

I am not sure about the feature in general. Sure it saves fuel. They say it saves up to 10%. But what does it do to your starter, and does it cause the starter to fail sooner? It seems like it would, and then you have that extra expense.
I think that this function is also available on the 991.1

It is called Gliding http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...g-Gliding-mode
Old 03-08-2018 | 05:35 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Pushing the start button and immediately going for the S/S disable has become one motion for me. I hate it........
Old 03-08-2018 | 05:39 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by Fünfer

Short answer: no

Long answer: the starter motors are designed differently than traditional starters, the engine electronics work with the starter to position the cylinders optimally, and the solenoid that engages the mechanical connection to the flywheel is decoupled from the electrical circuit required to start and stop the starter motor. I know some manufacturers rely on a second starter motor for start/stop, but I believe Porsche does it with a single system.

Quick Reply: how I learned to not hate auto start-stop