Sponsored by:

000 Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by HamiltonGT4
I’m in Canada, custom ordered a White T, with no sunroof, kept the lightweight glass, and standard seats, 7 speed. I did not get the Rear steer as I wanted the most pure and natural feeling car I love my T so far
Sounds like THE build. Missing the GT4? The mid-engine feel?

Currently grappling with a proposed jump from a 987.2 Spyder into a T.

How are brakes?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
You know, we've been toying with a project to get more Porsche dealers to gift 000 to their best customers (I got a car seat with one Porsche, a set of side markers with another) as a way to excite the nuts about Porsche and/or help reinforce the crest on the front of that new Macan/Panamera/Cayenne customer who we have a shot at infecting with our neurosis. One Porsche Classic dealer is already doing this, and it's gone over really well. The thing that stops me is that I hear 1) many Porsche dealers are notoriously cheap and don't do any sort of gifts with sales and 2) I wonder if the best independent shops would not provide a better way to reach potential 000 readers. I am at once surprised how many people know about 000 and how few do. I wonder if a better way than sending 300~ issues out to a bunch of four-door dealers might be to half that and send one to an enthusiast who makes a case for a great local P-car shop and one to the shop named. So here's one for the peanut gallery...I mean family: Thoughts?
You may not like this, Pete, but what about making a deal with the Porsche dealers association--if there is one--to give every new Porsche customer some literature about 000 and offer an xx% discount on a 1 year subscription?

God bless,
TT
Old 01-08-2019, 03:41 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete, My .02 on the dealer advertisement thing... is that the dealers already inundate a new buyer with so many post purchase add-ons and dealership specific branded Porsche swag that your complimentary issue or promo ad would possibly get put to the side, or feel like another un-needed cost after getting done with the dealership finance guy. I don't know about others but once I take delivery of a new car Porsche or other, the whole folder of "Stuff" just gets put into a drawer while I acclimate and learn the new car. More time is spent on internet forums, YouTube, and the owners manual than looking back and referring to any of the dealer info.

Not that this is following recommendation is as large scale as a Porsche dealership network, but I would think driver's events, shows, swaps, and general word of mouth including social media ads would be better.

All that to say I am not an advertising expert or even a salesman but I love the magazine!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Pete, My .02 on the dealer advertisement thing... is that the dealers already inundate a new buyer with so many post purchase add-ons and dealership specific branded Porsche swag that your complimentary issue or promo ad would possibly get put to the side, or feel like another un-needed cost after getting done with the dealership finance guy. I don't know about others but once I take delivery of a new car Porsche or other, the whole folder of "Stuff" just gets put into a drawer while I acclimate and learn the new car. More time is spent on internet forums, YouTube, and the owners manual than looking back and referring to any of the dealer info.

Not that this is following recommendation is as large scale as a Porsche dealership network, but I would think driver's events, shows, swaps, and general word of mouth including social media ads would be better.

All that to say I am not an advertising expert or even a salesman but I love the magazine!
These are good points, rxtrom. But, if I understand him correctly, I think Pete is on to something: when a person takes delivery of a very special car, a Porsche, especially a 911, she or he may be in the perfect mood to be exposed to 000, especially if it's done so as, somehow, not to be part of the clutter rxtrom rightly points out. My $0.01 worth. ;-)

God bless,
TT
Old 01-08-2019, 09:43 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Just read Pete's "editorial" at the beginning of 008 and really enjoyed it. I hope Porsche builds such a car.

God bless,
TT
Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

You know, we've been toying with a project to get more Porsche dealers to gift 000 to their best customers (I got a car seat with one Porsche, a set of side markers with another) as a way to excite the nuts about Porsche and/or help reinforce the crest on the front of that new Macan/Panamera/Cayenne customer who we have a shot at infecting with our neurosis. One Porsche Classic dealer is already doing this, and it's gone over really well. The thing that stops me is that I hear 1) many Porsche dealers are notoriously cheap and don't do any sort of gifts with sales and 2) I wonder if the best independent shops would not provide a better way to reach potential 000 readers. I am at once surprised how many people know about 000 and how few do. I wonder if a better way than sending 300~ issues out to a bunch of four-door dealers might be to half that and send one to an enthusiast who makes a case for a great local P-car shop and one to the shop named. So here's one for the peanut gallery...I mean family: Thoughts?
Pete, have you thought about doing something with PCA? I realize that all Porsche owners are NOT members of PCA but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of PCA members own a Porsche (or at least have a strong affinity for the brand). A copy to each chapter might be something they could then offer to a selected member as some type of club incentive....
Old 01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Pete, have you thought about doing something with PCA? I realize that all Porsche owners are NOT members of PCA but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of PCA members own a Porsche (or at least have a strong affinity for the brand). A copy to each chapter might be something they could then offer to a selected member as some type of club incentive....
It seems on a national PCA level Pete has been met with some adversity. This thread kind of carries on but you will get the jist. Members only off-topic 000 Magazine and PCA ethics on a regional level though I think he is met with open arms.

Also I wonder what made the majority of the current subscribers sign up, figuring that out and exploiting that somehow would be more effective.. For myself it was the threads on Rennlist especially the one linked above.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Was Rennlist for me as I had never heard of 000 before. Having said that I don't think I'll be re-subscribing as these things are like books and I still have 2 in the wrapper. Also get Panorama and Excellence. 000 is awesome but for a very select/small group of enthusiasts. I may be back once I catch up.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
You may not like this, Pete, but what about making a deal with the Porsche dealers association--if there is one--to give every new Porsche customer some literature about 000 and offer an xx% discount on a 1 year subscription?

God bless,
TT
Good thinking, Tom. NADA may be the closest thing to that, but it's all car dealers. And while 000 has had a great relationship with PCNA, we want to be respectful of the gap just as they have—and that certainly includes its relationships with the dealer body. I'd have to see if there is still a separate Porsche dealer body, but not sure targeting 50,000+ new Porsche customers (or even 300 new car dealers) is the right road for such a specialized product (hence my question here). Pfaff Porsche includes a 000 gift subscription with every classic Porsche it sells, and I think that's a great model for exposure (and one we are supporting).

Thank you, and good feedback, also! Your point about "lost in the swag fray" is in line with some of my concerns. We've pursued all of the bolded, and have some exciting things coming together for 2019…

These are good points, rxtrom. But, if I understand him correctly, I think Pete is on to something: when a person takes delivery of a very special car, a Porsche, especially a 911, she or he may be in the perfect mood to be exposed to 000, especially if it's done so as, somehow, not to be part of the clutter rxtrom rightly points out. My $0.01 worth. ;-)

God bless,
TT
^ Yes, this was the other side of the thinking among our team. What else can a dealer give a customer for $250 that is a premium experience, reinforces the Porsche brand, and reminds a customer that the SA thought of them not once but four separate times? I also think the idea is in line with 000's real thinking, which is to create something that appeals to the Porsche-obsessed while also pulling in spouses and others who might not otherwise pick up a magazine about Porsche, or visit a website, YouTube, etc.—design-oriented people, art fans, Luft-goers, etc. Again, the goal is to infect them with our neurosis, and learn something from them along the way, too...but the "all dealers/all customers" net may be too large.

Just read Pete's "editorial" at the beginning of 008 and really enjoyed it. I hope Porsche builds such a car.

God bless,
TT
Me too!

000 has done some things with PCA Regions, and is certainly open to supporting them, but...

It seems on a national PCA level Pete has been met with some adversity. This thread kind of carries on but you will get the jist. Members only off-topic 000 Magazine and PCA ethics on a regional level though I think he is met with open arms.
Yes, 4-6 individuals at the National office say they view 000 as competitive to Panorama. They've acted in some ways that I find troubling as a longtime member of this non-profit car club, and the awkwardness created has affected others 000 does business with (they don't enjoy it, either). So I finally wrote a letter to PCA's Regional leadership, asking if the 145~ Region Presidents (who wield the real power, and responsibility) are aware of and approve of the actions of these 4-6 officers, this after my efforts to address the issue with PCA National directly went nowhere.

Fwiw, 000 and I are pro-PCA and pro-Panorama. If anything, I grew to value the club and its traditions more while rebuilding Panorama than I had as just another member. That hasn't changed.

Also I wonder what made the majority of the current subscribers sign up, figuring that out and exploiting that somehow would be more effective.. For myself it was the threads on Rennlist especially the one linked above.
^ Good thinking, and more in line with one 000 team member's take. Your best ambassadors…

Originally Posted by 911boy
Was Rennlist for me as I had never heard of 000 before. Having said that I don't think I'll be re-subscribing as these things are like books and I still have 2 in the wrapper. Also get Panorama and Excellence. 000 is awesome but for a very select/small group of enthusiasts. I may be back once I catch up.
Thanks for subscribing to date (!), and you are right about the target audience. 000 isn't meant to be a replacement for Panorama or Excellence, or books on Porsche. It's meant to be something else, to be enjoyed differently. I hope you'll get to those two issues (and return when you're ready!), as 000 is designed to be consumed on your schedule. Part of the reason it's quarterly was my anxiety when my monthly issues of EVO started piling up....

Last edited by stout; 01-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:49 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

000 has done some things with PCA Regions, and is certainly open to supporting them, but...

Yes, 4-6 individuals at the National office say they view 000 as competitive to Panorama. They've acted in some ways that I find troubling as a longtime member of this non-profit car club, and the awkwardness created has affected others 000 does business with (they don't enjoy it, either). So I finally wrote a letter to PCA's Regional leadership, asking if the 145~ Region Presidents (who wield the real power, and responsibility) are aware of and approve of the actions of these 4-6 officers, this after my efforts to address the issue with PCA National directly went nowhere.

Fwiw, 000 and I are pro-PCA and pro-Panorama. If anything, I grew to value the club and its traditions more while rebuilding Panorama than I had as just another member. That hasn't changed.
Wow, thanks for the "education" on 000 and PCA ... to me this is beyond my understanding and very difficult for me to accept from a group that is supposed to be supporting all things Porsche. I mentioned to a group of folks at one of our local PCA "get togethers" after the magazine first came out that I was really impressed with this magazine called 000. None of the others had heard of the magazine so I brought one of my latest issues (I think it was Issue 3) to the next meet and passed it around. Everyone was amazed at the quality and content and did not understand why they had not heard of it. Not positive, but I think it resulted in a couple of subscriptions. To my way of thinking - if you are a Porsche "fan" and see this magazine you are going to want to subscribe. Too bad some want to make it a 000 vs. something else!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Since I have a Carrera T, I decided to purchase Issue 006 today
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Yes, this was the other side of the thinking among our team. What else can a dealer give a customer for $250 that is a premium experience, reinforces the Porsche brand, and reminds a customer that the SA thought of them not once but four separate times? I also think the idea is in line with 000's real thinking, which is to create something that appeals to the Porsche-obsessed while also pulling in spouses and others who might not otherwise pick up a magazine about Porsche, or visit a website, YouTube, etc.—design-oriented people, art fans, Luft-goers, etc. Again, the goal is to infect them with our neurosis, and learn something from them along the way, too...but the "all dealers/all customers" net may be too large.
A 1 year gift subscription to each new Porsche purchaser does seem a terrific idea. But I somehow doubt this will seem attractive to many dealers. In the absence of that, would at least making new Porsche purchasers aware of 000 be a good idea? And, as I think rxtrom wrote, making bona fide Porsche enthusiasts--those who attend driving events, etc.--aware of 000 also seems a good idea. Your work on Rennlist is probably also very helpful, Pete. That's how I found 000. Perhaps you should consider using your 000 Avatar on all your Rennlist correspondence?

God bless,
TT
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts
Default Order #00720

As I didn’t win Pete’s little photo competition ( ) I have just ordered edition number 6 including $20.00 shipping fee to here in the UK.

I look forward to enjoying what sounds like a great publication.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From memory, front to back...

911 Carrera coupe
7MT transmission
Brewster Green
Black partial-leather interior
Dynamic headlights, bi-xenon
Front-axle lift
Carrera S 20-inch wheels in silver
PCCB
Power folding door mirrors
Sport Chrono Package
Voice control
Bose audio
Sport steering wheel
4-way Sport Seats Plus
Heated seats
Fire extinguisher
Smoking Package
Model designation delete
"Porsche" logo in Gloss Black

Changes
PPF for full front end, rockers
Sport PASM front lip
Euro sidemarkers
TechArt springs
DSC V3
Center console trim in black leather (shifter surround)

Always wanted a dark green 911, so the T wasn't an option.
Pete, can you share why you got rid of the Oak Green Metallic C2?

Cheers, -Peter
Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Wow, thanks for the "education" on 000 and PCA ... to me this is beyond my understanding and very difficult for me to accept from a group that is supposed to be supporting all things Porsche. I mentioned to a group of folks at one of our local PCA "get togethers" after the magazine first came out that I was really impressed with this magazine called 000. None of the others had heard of the magazine so I brought one of my latest issues (I think it was Issue 3) to the next meet and passed it around. Everyone was amazed at the quality and content and did not understand why they had not heard of it. Not positive, but I think it resulted in a couple of subscriptions. To my way of thinking - if you are a Porsche "fan" and see this magazine you are going to want to subscribe. Too bad some want to make it a 000 vs. something else!
Well, it's sadly more of an education on PCA National and 000, as this is really down to the actions of a few individuals. Of course, given their positions, one could say they represent PCA—thus my letter to the Board of Directors.

Many thanks for bringing your 000 to that meet!

Originally Posted by Guaji
Since I have a Carrera T, I decided to purchase Issue 006 today
Nice! Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the ride!

A 1 year gift subscription to each new Porsche purchaser does seem a terrific idea. But I somehow doubt this will seem attractive to many dealers. In the absence of that, would at least making new Porsche purchasers aware of 000 be a good idea? And, as I think rxtrom wrote, making bona fide Porsche enthusiasts--those who attend driving events, etc.--aware of 000 also seems a good idea. Your work on Rennlist is probably also very helpful, Pete. That's how I found 000. Perhaps you should consider using your 000 Avatar on all your Rennlist correspondence?

God bless,
TT
Definitely good thoughts…I've never cared much for hard sell anything, but perhaps it would be good to use the "agent 000" handle a bit more. That said, Rennlist has always been a bit like my digital EASY (a Porsche hangout in the East Bay I've been going to since high school)...a place to simply be a car nut with fellow car nuts and contribute something when I can. When we decided to support Rennlist as a sponsor, that was a feel-good to me—but I still kinda like just hanging out. Hmm...

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
As I didn’t win Pete’s little photo competition ( ) I have just ordered edition number 6 including $20.00 shipping fee to here in the UK.

I look forward to enjoying what sounds like a great publication.
Talk about a cool spirit...that invite for a pint or coffee or whatever in SF is a standing deal!

Originally Posted by PLom
Pete, can you share why you got rid of the Oak Green Metallic C2?

Cheers, -Peter
I can. There was a driveline (?) knocking sound from 300-400 miles on that they couldn't track down, and boy did they try. I've always had great luck with Porsches, both my own and more press cars than I can possibly remember, but they eventually offered to replace the car when they couldn't find the fault.

So I ordered the same car, but for a few things (Brewster as I was 50/50 on Oak vs Brewster the first time around plus a standard black interior, nose lift, and Sport Chrono).

Quick Reply: 000 Magazine