Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

000 Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 AM
HamiltonGT4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m in Canada, custom ordered a White T, with no sunroof, kept the lightweight glass, and standard seats, 7 speed. I did not get the Rear steer as I wanted the most pure and natural feeling car I love my T so far
The following users liked this post:
seis-speed (10-04-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 608 Likes on 291 Posts

That's interesting. The dealer I ordered my T from in July had a white T on the floor. It had sunroof, manual, buckets, no RAS. I just checked the website and it's still there.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Since we were sharing pics. Wanted to share this one. Took it in the early 80s growing up in Germany. I stole (borrowed) my dad's camera and walked around town taking shots of mostly 911s. As far as cars go, it was my first love. And really, it's been the only one for me since. Was finally able to purchase a T this past year.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stout
Can't remember if you got a sunroof or not, Tom?

A friend has been scouring North American inventory for a Carrera/S/GTS/T with 4WSS+ or adaptive sport seats but no sunroof and a few desired options (he would like RAS, but isn't picky about transmission, liking both 7MT and PDK) and says that non-moonroof/"enthusiast optioned" 3.0-liter cars are vaporware. My gut says they've got to be out there in small qty, but maybe only with people who ordered them and who aren't likely to give them up. He was particularly surprised by the number of Ts with glass roofs and no RAS, as though the dealers all ordered them. Says the only exceptions are Ts with LWB and not much else (and he needs rear seats).

Ticks those boxes:
https://www.porschebeachwood.com/det...-18346192.html
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Can't remember if you got a sunroof or not, Tom?

A friend has been scouring North American inventory for a Carrera/S/GTS/T with 4WSS+ or adaptive sport seats but no sunroof and a few desired options (he would like RAS, but isn't picky about transmission, liking both 7MT and PDK) and says that non-moonroof/"enthusiast optioned" 3.0-liter cars are vaporware. My gut says they've got to be out there in small qty, but maybe only with people who ordered them and who aren't likely to give them up. He was particularly surprised by the number of Ts with glass roofs and no RAS, as though the dealers all ordered them. Says the only exceptions are Ts with LWB and not much else (and he needs rear seats).

As to suspension, the only reason (imo, anyway) to change anything on a Carrera is aesthetics. For me, it's worth the minor compromises—but it's really too bad SPASM wasn't an option on the 991.2 as it was on the 991.1. There isn't much to complain about with these cars, however...they are both underrated and brilliant.
Pete, I ordered a metal sunroof--more old school, I guess, and not a fan of moonroofs. My early 1970s 911T didn't have a sunroof and, back then, I wished that it did. To some extent this 911 is a do-over from 50 years ago! I think this car--at least in black--looks fine with the standard PASM. And I have had zero problems with speed bumps, driveways, etc.

God bless,
TT

Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Pete, I ordered a metal sunroof--more old school, I guess, and not a fan of moonroofs. My early 1970s 911T didn't have a sunroof and, back then, I wished that it did. To some extent this 911 is a do-over from 50 years ago! I think this car--at least in black--looks fine with the standard PASM. And I have had zero problems with speed bumps, driveways, etc.

God bless,
TT

Your car looks great, and I wouldn't mess with it. The black helps, I think, and I have this theory that some cars come with better gaps than others...I see it somewhat with Porsche and really see it with some other brands (M-B and AMG in particular come to mind).

My take on lowering the 991.2 Carrera (so far) is that doing so improves the looks markedly but opens the Pandora's box in terms of getting everything as right as stock. There might be a "better" (for enthusiasts) solution, but my guess at the recipe includes the right springs, DSC, bump-steer correction, one or both ARBs, and alignment settings—and the right people involved to nail everything just right. Might end up with a stunning package with great looks, but the stock setup (PASM or SPASM) is already stunningly good for street work.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:17 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Your car looks great, and I wouldn't mess with it. The black helps, I think, and I have this theory that some cars come with better gaps than others...I see it somewhat with Porsche and really see it with some other brands (M-B and AMG in particular come to mind).

My take on lowering the 991.2 Carrera (so far) is that doing so improves the looks markedly but opens the Pandora's box in terms of getting everything as right as stock. There might be a "better" (for enthusiasts) solution, but my guess at the recipe includes the right springs, DSC, bump-steer correction, one or both ARBs, and alignment settings—and the right people involved to nail everything just right. Might end up with a stunning package with great looks, but the stock setup (PASM or SPASM) is already stunningly good for street work.
And maybe I imagine this but it seems to me some cars "settle" a bit on their suspension.

God bless,
TT
Old 01-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

#1 Houndstooth LWBS in real use; clever/subtle inclusion of "Stout" (I see what you did there...)
#2 Art.
#3 A Carrera T, in use, in the snow.

And the winner is...#3—CamsPorsche!

Will PM you for an address!
Congrats to the top 3!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:43 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

Congrats to the top 3!
Amen, to that!

God bless,
TT
Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

#1 Houndstooth LWBS in real use; clever/subtle inclusion of "Stout" (I see what you did there...)
#2 Art.
#3 A Carrera T, in use, in the snow.

And the winner is...#3—CamsPorsche!

Will PM you for an address!
Totally missed this post. Congrats, neurotic!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

FYI, I enjoyed that! We should do it more often.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonn72
Since we were sharing pics. Wanted to share this one. Took it in the early 80s growing up in Germany. I stole (borrowed) my dad's camera and walked around town taking shots of mostly 911s. As far as cars go, it was my first love. And really, it's been the only one for me since. Was finally able to purchase a T this past year.

Ahhhh, Oak.

From the plate, and your handle, must be Bonn? Growing up, we had a few UC Berkeley foreign exchange students living with us over the years, and one of the coolest went on to become a judge in Bonn. Her husband remains the craziest driver I've ever ridden with, and her kids are all now grown and a lot of fun. Funny thing is last time they visited my parents, she was up early running the Arlington to Berkeley while her daughters were sleeping in. Gotta get back to Bonn sometime...it's been a very long time.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonn72
FYI, I enjoyed that! We should do it more often.
You know, we've been toying with a project to get more Porsche dealers to gift 000 to their best customers (I got a car seat with one Porsche, a set of side markers with another) as a way to excite the nuts about Porsche and/or help reinforce the crest on the front of that new Macan/Panamera/Cayenne customer who we have a shot at infecting with our neurosis. One Porsche Classic dealer is already doing this, and it's gone over really well. The thing that stops me is that I hear 1) many Porsche dealers are notoriously cheap and don't do any sort of gifts with sales and 2) I wonder if the best independent shops would not provide a better way to reach potential 000 readers. I am at once surprised how many people know about 000 and how few do. I wonder if a better way than sending 300~ issues out to a bunch of four-door dealers might be to half that and send one to an enthusiast who makes a case for a great local P-car shop and one to the shop named. So here's one for the peanut gallery...I mean family: Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Ahhhh, Oak.

From the plate, and your handle, must be Bonn? Growing up, we had a few UC Berkeley foreign exchange students living with us over the years, and one of the coolest went on to become a judge in Bonn. Her husband remains the craziest driver I've ever ridden with, and her kids are all now grown and a lot of fun. Funny thing is last time they visited my parents, she was up early running the Arlington to Berkeley while her daughters were sleeping in. Gotta get back to Bonn sometime...it's been a very long time.
Nice! Judge in Bonn? I'll make sure to remember if I'm ever caught speeding (it's happened).

I was born in Bonn (home of Haribo). Parents are originally from Pakistan and moved to Bonn. I was born there in 72. We moved to the States when I was about 14. I still go back every couple of years to visit friends. I was also stationed in Germany during my USAF days. Love going back. It has definitely changed over the years. They went through a small depression of sorts when the capital was shifted to Berlin, but they seem to be doing okay now. T mobile and Deutsche Post are headquartered there. Anyway, probably too much information, but love talking about my hometown.

Heading to Berlin this month to visit my brother who is stationed there. Might try to get out to Leipzig if time permits.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

You know, we've been toying with a project to get more Porsche dealers to gift 000 to their best customers (I got a car seat with one Porsche, a set of side markers with another) as a way to excite the nuts about Porsche and/or help reinforce the crest on the front of that new Macan/Panamera/Cayenne customer who we have a shot at infecting with our neurosis. One Porsche Classic dealer is already doing this, and it's gone over really well. The thing that stops me is that I hear 1) many Porsche dealers are notoriously cheap and don't do any sort of gifts with sales and 2) I wonder if the best independent shops would not provide a better way to reach potential 000 readers. I am at once surprised how many people know about 000 and how few do. I wonder if a better way than sending 300~ issues out to a bunch of four-door dealers might be to half that and send one to an enthusiast who makes a case for a great local P-car shop and one to the shop named. So here's one for the peanut gallery...I mean family: Thoughts?
I think that's a great idea. I wonder how many Macan/Cayenne customers would care about Porsche history though. I'm sure there are some, but probably more that don't care much. 911 owners? Most definitely. Caymans? Most likely. I would hate to see 000 get thrown in a pile with People magazine, etc. It should definitely be an option to Porsche enthusiasts though.

I got some keychains and a baby car for my daughter with my T purchase. Probably didn't want to part with much after a decent discount. Anyway, if they gave me that limited edition set of the first 4 copies that you have with my purchase, I would have been ecstatic. I'm still eyeing that set since not all 1-4 copies are in stock anymore.

But I definitely agree. Giving out a nicely packaged current issue of 000 Magazine should be a no brainer when buying a $60k plus car.

Quick Reply: 000 Magazine