Sponsored by:

FVD HEADER REVIEW 991#1

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Did you do the same research into the plenum and/or throttle body? Which specific ones are you looking into? I could definitely consider it now that you said sound. I'll be getting a pro-tune anyways, another 5whp can't hurt.

Doing your own labor is really key; I wish I had the space and the skills (honestly I could acquire the skills/tools, I'm an engineer by training but space in ny metro area is like unobtanium) - my shop though is usually reasonably priced thank God.

Yeah you're preaching to the choir I literally bought this car because Carreras went turbo
the throttle body I was referring to is a factory part but was corrected and the 991 already has the biggest one.

IPd is the only one that makes the plenum. I have a hookup on these if you’re interested, PM me.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I had a couple of requests (PM)for installed pics as it relates to clearance since this is a challenge with some other long tube designs.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Larger diameter exhaust and intake parts do not = more power. They often produce the opposite.

I don't like being the professor in threads like this so I would encourage people interested in mods to look up concepts like volumetric efficiency and cylinder filling. The wider the intake and exhaust ports and manifolds, the slower the intake and exhaust gasses flow, the less fuel/air and exhaust moves into and out of the combustion chamber, and the less power you make. In a NA engine, when it comes to intake gasses, you need not just capacity (diameter), but velocity. And you get velocity by constricting airflow, not enlarging it.

Think about putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose -- the water flows at a higher velocity as you reduce the diameter of the passage through which it flows. This is four-stroke engine 101 level stuff. Bolting up bigger headers or a bigger throttle body will usually not make power -- not unless the engine has design flaws or you've modified other parts of the engine so that bigger intake/exhaust becomes necessary. An engine is a system, and all the parts have to be designed to work with each other.

Turbos of course are a different story, and with them you can just dial up the boost and make huge power gains.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Churchill
Larger diameter exhaust and intake parts do not = more power. They often produce the opposite.

I don't like being the professor in threads like this so I would encourage people interested in mods to look up concepts like volumetric efficiency and cylinder filling. The wider the intake and exhaust ports and manifolds, the slower the intake and exhaust gasses flow, the less fuel/air and exhaust moves into and out of the combustion chamber, and the less power you make. In a NA engine, when it comes to intake gasses, you need not just capacity (diameter), but velocity. And you get velocity by constricting airflow, not enlarging it.

Think about putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose -- the water flows at a higher velocity as you reduce the diameter of the passage through which it flows. This is four-stroke engine 101 level stuff. Bolting up bigger headers or a bigger throttle body will usually not make power -- not unless the engine has design flaws or you've modified other parts of the engine so that bigger intake/exhaust becomes necessary. An engine is a system, and all the parts have to be designed to work with each other.

Turbos of course are a different story, and with them you can just dial up the boost and make huge power gains.
While I agree with this in theory... and proved it with my last review; these headers did prove to make gains with no tuning at all. Largely the sport cat - which was never made for performance. Car drives noticeably better.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Good post, and many very valid points. I think it also proves how good the OEM stuff is from the perspective of the parts working in efficient harmony with one another.
That isn't to say it cannot be improved, but for the best experience a full and complete package might be the best way to do...and most costly.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

What you say has a certain element of truth but is not always true in all cases. Especially when an OEM is not only concerned with ultimate performance, but also longevity, sound quality, emissions, differing fuel quality, different climates of operation, differing levels of maintenance, etc. Yes the engines are a system, but they are also a study in compromises.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:25 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Good stuff. I have a 991S X51, I am interested if sports cats/headers and/or an IPD plenum would have similar benefits on my car. I am not sure what is left in the X51/GTS cars but I assume a good set of headers might make a difference.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by JEllis
Good stuff. I have a 991S X51, I am interested if sports cats/headers and/or an IPD plenum would have similar benefits on my car. I am not sure what is left in the X51/GTS cars but I assume a good set of headers might make a difference.
A plenum is not compatible with your car but headers would have a good benefit!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

lol
Old 03-05-2018, 09:48 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated

A plenum is not compatible with your car but headers would have a good benefit!
Ahh yes, forgot about that. I enjoy projects like this. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by JEllis
Ahh yes, forgot about that. I enjoy projects like this. Thanks again.
Projects are fun!

More pics of the car in your avatar?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Projects are fun!

More pics of the car in your avatar?

My old 997S Aero.... Miss it

Old 02-23-2024, 01:25 PM
Jagged155
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info in this thread. I'm considering the FVD Sport Headers & Tune for my 991.1 GTS. Does anyone have some recent experiences and/or input?

Quick Reply: FVD HEADER REVIEW 991#1