Sponsored by:

991.2 Base Carrera Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 991.2 Base Carrera Suspension Question

Hey all, I hoping someone has some input or experience with this question. I just picked up a 2017 Carrera and after a few days of driving I feel like the suspension is a bit harsh or not real compliant over bumps. I know that the 'S' Carrera gets PASM as standard and PASM Sport as an option. I understand these may ride a bit better. I'm coming out of a 2016 Boxster Spyder and before that I had a 997 GT3RS which both had PASM I think. Granted I didn't use those as a daily drivers but they both seems less harsh believe it or not.

Any thoughts on a solution or shall i just deal with it? Anyone try this Dynamic Suspension Control from TPC racing? http://www.tpcracing.com/dsc.html
The following users liked this post:
farhanahussain (08-31-2021)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 428 Posts

Is the light is off on the suspension button?
And is the car new or preowned? If its used check the suspension for lowering springs.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

People think the 991.2 Carrera is "soft."

I've been testing Porsches for 20+ years, and believe me when I say the 991.2 Carrera is not soft. It is compliant, but firm. I notice it in situations where the body gets rocked back and forth laterally. I'd have to try them back to back, but I was surprised that the T with SPASM didn't feel all that different over lumps and bumps to my 991.2 Carrera. Was reading the latest Evo, and its tester seemed to agree. So I can see how a Boxster Spyder driver would see the 991.2 Carrera has firmer...because the Boxster's wheel base helps here and its dampers are very good too.

However: Not sure how I can see a 997 GT3 RS has less firm than a 991.2 Carrera. If your 991.2 Carrera really feels harsher in the Normal damper mode than a 997 RS, maybe something is amiss?
The following users liked this post:
farhanahussain (08-31-2021)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 PM
TKO
Racer

Originally Posted by stout
People think the 991.2 Carrera is "soft."

I've been testing Porsches for 20+ years, and believe me when I say the 991.2 Carrera is not soft. It is compliant, but firm. I notice it in situations where the body gets rocked back and forth laterally. I'd have to try them back to back, but I was surprised that the T with SPASM didn't feel all that different over lumps and bumps to my 991.2 Carrera. Was reading the latest Evo, and its tester seemed to agree. So I can see how a Boxster Spyder driver would see the 991.2 Carrera has firmer...because the Boxster's wheel base helps here and its dampers are very good too.

However: Not sure how I can see a 997 GT3 RS has less firm than a 991.2 Carrera. If your 991.2 Carrera really feels harsher in the Normal damper mode than a 997 RS, maybe something is amiss?
Hey Pete, thanks for the input. I guess its not a question of soft or firm, its just seems like rolling over road bumps, pavement cracks, street reflectors, etc are more obvious in the new to me 991.2 base. You make a good point about Boxster Spyder WB and dampers which I just came out of ... and it has been a few years that I drove the RS.
BTW, the Spyder was a SUPER fun car for the street, I'll miss it. I could see myself in another one someday.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:29 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Edit: Got this wrong: The dynamic suspension control only works on cars that have the shocks that support PASM, so that won't help you. Your shocks don't have the variable valving.

I would check to make sure you are running "Comfort" settings on your tire pressures. I'd bet you are running the Full Load pressures which can lead to uncomfortable rides.

If you haven't already, use your multi-function display to bring up the tire pressure display, then select to bring up the tire settings. Make sure Full Load is not selected and Comfort is selected. The select Fill Info to see how many PSI your tires are over and bleed out that much until the fill info reports zero on each tire.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-02-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
The dynamic suspension control only works on cars that have the shocks that support PASM, so that won't help you. Your shocks don't have the variable valving.
Sorry, not correct. For 991.2:

"The PASM chassis is standard on all models."

"The new 911 Carrera models are equipped as standard with the electronically controlled Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) damper system with active and continuous control of the shock absorbers on the front and rear axles including a 10 mm lowering of the vehicle height."
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

What StormRune said: try comfort mode tire pressure.

And yes 991.2 base has PASM as standard
Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asia

"The new 911 Carrera models are equipped as standard with the electronically controlled Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) damper system with active and continuous control of the shock absorbers on the front and rear axles including a 10 mm lowering of the vehicle height."
Thanks, my bad! Once again, Gah!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:09 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread. I have a 991.2 base and noticed the same firmness. Also noticed that pressing the suspension button makes very little (if any) difference to the ride.
(My only basis of comparison is BMWs with adaptive suspension where going from comfort to sport makes a HUGE difference.)
Old 03-02-2018, 11:00 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gregv8
Interesting thread. I have a 991.2 base and noticed the same firmness. Also noticed that pressing the suspension button makes very little (if any) difference to the ride.
(My only basis of comparison is BMWs with adaptive suspension where going from comfort to sport makes a HUGE difference.)
I'm surprised by your not noticing much difference in Sport mode. I would describe my base 991.2 as firm and very controlled, but reasonably comfortable, just as an earlier poster stated. However, when I engage the sport programming, the car is much less compliant and tends to pick up every imperfection in the road. It's quite jiggly and not very pleasant in everyday driving.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 PM
TKO
Racer

I'm not sure. If you go to the Porsche site and build a Carrera or look under standard equipment, only Carrera S model lists PASM, and not on base Carrera.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by TKO
I'm not sure. If you go to the Porsche site and build a Carrera or look under standard equipment, only Carrera S model lists PASM, and not on base Carrera.
PASM is listed in the configurator under > Standard Equipment > Chassis and Suspension
Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TKO
Well... I guess the easy question is does your car have the PASM button on the console? (The one that looks like a shock absorber).

If it isn't there, could someone have configured a base specifically without PASM... a PASM delete option?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,878 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Are the suspension blocks (used during trucking / delivery process) still in place?
Old 03-03-2018, 12:12 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 724 Posts

V2 box rules. I have it, awesome piece of kit

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base Carrera Suspension Question