Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Duplicate.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
It's funny that most of the drivers that did the back to back drives on the press event with the GT3 and the T mentioned that for every day driving, and particularly for the conditions of the passes in Monte Carlo, the T's turbo was much better suited for the task.

Yes, the GT3 N/A engine may be a delight, but you have to be driving at redline to get it to perform as intended. I don't see that as an everyday driver. Great for the track, but not for driving around town and spirited driving outside a track.

And that was comparing it to the GT3's engine. I never really liked the N/A base Carrera engine for a daily driver. Without low end torque, it is not as convenient for everyday situations.
^^^ This. The 9A1 is a good engine, but not a great NA Porsche engine. The GT3 engine is a great NA engine. I certainly have my priorities/prefs and have made my choice...but if I were insistent on NA, I'd only consider the GT3. I'd have bought the T with an NA/3.8, but would (probably) have kept my 993 if it had been the NA/3.4.

Overall, I'm very happy Porsche made the choices they did. T is a phenomenal car.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
^^^ This. The 9A1 is a good engine, but not a great NA Porsche engine. The GT3 engine is a great NA engine. I certainly have my priorities/prefs and have made my choice...but if I were insistent on NA, I'd only consider the GT3. I'd have bought the T with an NA/3.8, but would (probably) have kept my 993 if it had been the NA/3.4.

Overall, I'm very happy Porsche made the choices they did. T is a phenomenal car.
I agree 100% with this.

Last edited by Scorponok; 03-09-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:44 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

It's funny that most of the drivers that did the back to back drives on the press event with the GT3 and the T mentioned that for every day driving, and particularly for the conditions of the passes in Monte Carlo, the T's turbo was much better suited for the task.

Yes, the GT3 N/A engine may be a delight, but you have to be driving at redline to get it to perform as intended. I don't see that as an everyday driver. Great for the track, but not for driving around town and spirited driving outside a track.

And that was comparing it to the GT3's engine. I never really liked the N/A base Carrera engine for a daily driver. Without low end torque, it is not as convenient for everyday situations.
For an everyday drive you'd also not care about lighweight glass, LWB, rear seat delete, shorter gearing, etc. Just like you CAN drive a GT3 everyday, it's not the best use of it. The 911T was meant to be a raw drivers car and not focused on "regular" transportation.

If we say the GT3 is great and agree that the T is a priced down version then lets keep the intended uses the same.

I agree with everyone that the 3.0tt is a great engine for daily driving and sitting in traffic. If that is all you will ever do with the T then you bought the wrong car for the job. No shame in liking the badge or whatever but lets face it, even a base 3.0tt is better for daily driving than a GT3. None of these tests or articles were comparing the 911T to minivans or priuses.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
For an everyday drive you'd also not care about lighweight glass, LWB, rear seat delete, shorter gearing, etc. Just like you CAN drive a GT3 everyday, it's not the best use of it. The 911T was meant to be a raw drivers car and not focused on "regular" transportation.

If we say the GT3 is great and agree that the T is a priced down version then lets keep the intended uses the same.

I agree with everyone that the 3.0tt is a great engine for daily driving and sitting in traffic. If that is all you will ever do with the T then you bought the wrong car for the job. No shame in liking the badge or whatever but lets face it, even a base 3.0tt is better for daily driving than a GT3. None of these tests or articles were comparing the 911T to minivans or priuses.
No, they were comparing it to driving the Monte Carlo passes at high speed, on a regular road, and for that, the T was preferred over the GT3.

Haven't seen a comparison of priuses and minivans along a mountain pass.

Point being, the 3.0TT is a more flexible all-rounder than the previous base N/A for this application.

About the badge, here's a philosophical riddle:

Some buy the T for the Ethos, other for the Logos but we all enjoy the path...os.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Some buy the T for the Ethos, other for the Logos but we all enjoy the path...os.
That is true and completely understandable in every way.

The article clearly stated that the 3.4 would have been the better engine for this car for a better driving experience. I guess my contemptment is complete and utter denial that there is even merit to this point of view despite consumers voting with their wallets and media stating it. If the 3.0tt was so great then why did the author wish for the 3.4? It's like being with a girlfriend and everytime you're with her, wishing to have your old girlfriend back. Oh, but my new, heavier girlfriend folds laundry better even though there is no chemistry or excitement. Sounds like wife material, yes?

Yes - the 3.0tt has different all around capabilities but they weren't driving as if they were taking conference calls while dropping the kids off at daycare.

Lets all just agree the 3.0tt is a better daily driver and quash that statement since I don't think it has ever been challenged by me or any other NA fanboi.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

No, they were comparing it to driving the Monte Carlo passes at high speed, on a regular road, and for that, the T was preferred over the GT3.
Yup - yet they still lusted after that same car with a 3.4 Not even a 3.8...
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Yup - yet they still lusted after that same car with a 3.4 Not even a 3.8...
You are right, that bus what that reviewer wished for.

And I wish it was priced at $70K fully loaded including PCCB, come with a 10 year warranty and free services. But it doesn't.

So I guess reality trumps wishes.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Since the GT3 vs Carrera T came up, here is a video that was recently posted .. Everyone can make their own conclusions. Keep in mid the GT3 is running Cup 2's and the T is probably on street tires. My personal conclusion after watching this video is that there is nothing wrong with the T. The 1.6 seconds difference in lap time is astonishing.

Edit. unless they are both on winter tires. Either way the T is legit.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I really dont think anyone would pay extra if it was slower than a base carrera. Are you guys serious? Minumim they would have to use the 3.8 and give it 450 hp and 8500 rpm redline so it ouperforms the base to ask 103k. Maybe if it cost 85k and it was true to the T badge they could get away with the 3.4. Why is this becoming an NA vs turbo thread?
Originally Posted by 911-TOUR

911 owners do not like change

R Rated is going to take his 9A1 engine with him to the grave and make sure everyone knows it... Admittedly I was in the same camp until I actually tried the new 3.0 motor and evaluated it with an open mind longer than a test drive

The T is a sweet car, love the engine and ethos... If I kept striking out on a GT3, I would have set my sights on the T personally. I like that it *feels* special and yet still very discreet, keeping the classic 911 lines
Old 03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Great video. Thanks for sharing! Whetted my appetite even more for my incoming T!

P.S. And the Carrera T looks good there in Guards Red with the silver Carrera S wheels!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:29 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

You are so passive aggressive about the new turbo motor LMAO. The 3.0TT is insane for canyon carving and spirited driving, the torque on tap makes exiting corners so much fun at high RPM. It's not a great engine just for daily driving and sitting in traffic. Ironically enough my MPG is actually worse for daily driving in the 9A2 motor than the 9A1 (caveat is .1 C2 and .2 C4 w/AWD).

People can buy the T or any other model like a GT2RS to daily drive & sit in traffic or sit in the garage or whatever they please, it's their money Also, some can't afford to have more than 1 car or more than 1 sports car in the garage so that is exactly what makes any 911 variant great, it is the best all around, most versatile sports car on the market.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
People can buy the T or any other model like a GT2RS to daily drive & sit in traffic or sit in the garage or whatever they please, it's their money Also, some can't afford to have more than 1 car or more than 1 sports car in the garage so that is exactly what makes any 911 variant great, it is the best all around, most versatile sports car on the market.

I don't want the hassle or expense of running multiple cars. I am a big Porsche enthusiast, especially of the 911. A lot of my driving is/will be on motorways, for which my current 2017 Panamera 4 is better suited. But it's not a sports car and it's not a 911. I really miss my 991.1 C2. I have now found that I can arrange my life and family around owning a 911 as my sole car and daily driver. I cannot wait for my T and for me, the timing of the release of the Carrera T seems perfect.

If I had the money/influence to buy a GT3, I'd get a 991.2 GT3 with Touring Pack, and use that as my daily driver! Shock, horror!

Last edited by Wing Commander; 03-08-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

I don't want the hassle or expense of running multiple cars. I am a big Porsche enthusiast, especially of the 911. A lot of my driving is/will be on motorways, for which my current 2017 Panamera 4 is better suited. But it's not a sports car and it's not a 911. I really miss my 911.1 C2. I have now found that I can arrange my life and family around owning a 911 as my sole car and daily driver. I cannot wait for my T and for me, the timing of the release of the Carrera T seems perfect.

If I had the money/influence to buy a GT3, I'd get a 991.2 GT3 with Touring Pack, and use that as my daily driver! Shock, horror!
We are in the same exact shoes my friend. my .2 C4 is a lease so that will be returned soon, and my GT3 will be my daily driver & sole car for now. Toying with adding a base Macan down the road but not there yet. Don't want hassle or expense of more than one car if I don't need it. I am a subscriber in the more you own, the more it owns you so I just need my one 911, my one watch, and those are really my only vices...
Old 03-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
We are in the same exact shoes my friend. my .2 C4 is a lease so that will be returned soon, and my GT3 will be my daily driver & sole car for now. Toying with adding a base Macan down the road but not there yet. Don't want hassle or expense of more than one car if I don't need it. I am a subscriber in the more you own, the more it owns you so I just need my one 911, my one watch, and those are really my only vices...
Kindred spirits!

Quick Reply: Carrera vs. Carrera T - latest issue of Total 911