Sponsored by:

Carrera vs. Carrera T - latest issue of Total 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
My favorite part is the comment next to it ... "Oh come on!". Shows even Porsche has a subtle sense of humor. Not judging anyone that removes the LWG, I think it's fine either way.
That was pretty funny...
Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ll just leave this right here.... for all of you that only look at the pictures and don’t read the articles

Page 54, chapter 1, paragraph 8:
Old 03-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What publication is that?
I hate to sound like a fanboi but....

From Total 911, issue 163:
​​​​​​

From CAR, issue 668:

Last edited by Puf n Stuf; 05-18-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:30 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
What publication is that?
I hate to sound like a fanboi but....

From Total 911, issue 163:
​​​​​​

From CAR, issue 668:
​​​​​​
I was referencing the comment to the wonderful 3.4 engine.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:11 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I’ll just leave this right here.... for all of you that only look at the pictures and don’t read the articles

Page 54, chapter 1, paragraph 8:

Couldn't agree more with their take on that. I know the car as is will have many upon many of thrilled drivers, but for me, I so immensely wish that was the purist "T" they made. A'la a baby GT3 of sorts. If I'm truly fantasizing; a slightly up tuned 3.4 in the .2 chassis with the "T" leitmotif (less weight at the rear too).... :drool:
I'd buy it today.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they put the 3.4l NA in it - I suspect most people would go and pick up a nice 981 GTS. Significantly lighter, more agile etc.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 427 Posts

I really dont think anyone would pay extra if it was slower than a base carrera. Are you guys serious? Minumim they would have to use the 3.8 and give it 450 hp and 8500 rpm redline so it ouperforms the base to ask 103k. Maybe if it cost 85k and it was true to the T badge they could get away with the 3.4. Why is this becoming an NA vs turbo thread?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

What if they had taken all the lightweight aspects and performance options, and put it in a narrow body S (with S brakes) with a powerkit? I would have found that intriguing...
Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I really dont think anyone would pay extra if it was slower than a base carrera. Are you guys serious? Minumim they would have to use the 3.8 and give it 450 hp and 8500 rpm redline so it ouperforms the base to ask 103k. Maybe if it cost 85k and it was true to the T badge they could get away with the 3.4. Why is this becoming an NA vs turbo thread?
It's not an NA vs T thread. Its a "what is the intended spirit of the T" thread and a discussion of the article, which mentions it, if you'd read the article. There was much backlash at the suggestion of using the 3.4 months ago and those who agreed were chastised.... this is the second media to state this I have seen. If you read the article or understand the T at all then you'd understand that speed records are not the reason to buy this car. Having a driving experience and connection with car are. This engine would have fit that mission much better, and made it slower, and made it more desirable. Again - The new GT3 could have been made with a boosted engine.... but they didn't and they are next to impossible to get. A T with a 3.4 would have been just as desirable.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It's not an NA vs T thread. Its a "what is the intended spirit of the T" thread and a discussion of the article, which mentions it, if you'd read the article. There was much backlash at the suggestion of using the 3.4 months ago and those who agreed were chastised.... this is the second media to state this I have seen. If you read the article or understand the T at all then you'd understand that speed records are not the reason to buy this car. Having a driving experience and connection with car are. This engine would have fit that mission much better, and made it slower, and made it more desirable. Again - The new GT3 could have been made with a boosted engine.... but they didn't and they are next to impossible to get. A T with a 3.4 would have been just as desirable.
I read the current article. I dont think its necessary to be derogatory. You might be right about the 3.4 being visceral, but you can't compare the .1 base (or any non GT car) it to a GT3. My point about pricing is valid. 85k for what you are suggesting makes more sense, and it would be a very unique product.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:24 AM
R_Rated
Banned

I read the current article. I dont think its necessary to be derogatory. You might be right about the 3.4 being visceral, but you can't compare the .1 base (or any non GT car) it to a GT3. My point about pricing is valid. 85k for what you are suggesting makes more sense, and it would be a very unique product.
It wasn't derogatory. The GT3 is relevant in that it would have been a lot less costly for Porsche to add more boost and/or displacement to the 9A2 on the GT3 and it would be "faster." But they didn't; because its more than just drag racing. The T embodies and represents all of the same spirit; scaled down. The GT3 is relevant because it's a choice to go NA when Boost would have made it faster. The T would also have been more fun and engaging with a 350hp (and even lighter also) 911T - as the article references - we're discussing the article and the platform; not the merits of boost vs NA to be clear.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Ok fair enough.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Ok fair enough.
I think it's more than fair to not agree.

The point I am making is that going faster isn't what this car was intended for at all, just like the severely underpowered and highly desirable original.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 122 Posts

It's funny that most of the drivers that did the back to back drives on the press event with the GT3 and the T mentioned that for every day driving, and particularly for the conditions of the passes in Monte Carlo, the T's turbo was much better suited for the task.

Yes, the GT3 N/A engine may be a delight, but you have to be driving at redline to get it to perform as intended. I don't see that as an everyday driver. Great for the track, but not for driving around town and spirited driving outside a track.

And that was comparing it to the GT3's engine. I never really liked the N/A base Carrera engine for a daily driver. Without low end torque, it is not as convenient for everyday situations.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Having driven the C2 several times before pulling the trigger on the T, I have to say the ‘base’ engine drives phenomenally. I had a 997.2 C2 (3.6) and quite frankly didn’t like it very much. I’m thrilled to have this upcoming engine and trust that Porsche will have it fit the character very well.

Quick Reply: Carrera vs. Carrera T - latest issue of Total 911