Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Right DE Track Prep for this 991 Carrera and new racer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:41 AM
TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Just Right DE Track Prep for this 991 Carrera and new racer!

Our humbled new customer was ready to take the leap from having a daily-driven 991 Carrera transforming it to a capable DE track car. She wanted to get into motorsports and chose to use her 991 as a first to gain experience on the track as she was familiar with how it drove. We focused on safety and suspension upgrades to up the safety standards and enhance the cars handling performance. The track preparation was to start right away and she couldn't have been any more excited that her 991 was in the hands of a world renown race group, TPC Racing!

Safety was our first objective and what better than to be able to offer Racetech seats specifically the RT4009-HR for the perfect fit and rated to the highest FIA standards. She chose RED Scroth belts to complement her Racetech seats with the gratification that they are rated and installed standard in a GT3 cup car. The Cantrell Motorsports roll bar was added as well to raise the safety standard necessary for the track events and future class advancement in mind.

We recommended adding some aftermarket features to better her track experience that included the TPC Racing Stage 1 adjustable sway bar kit, Pagid RS yellow brake pads, and new OZ Ultraleggera wheels with Toyo Proxes R888-R tires.

At the completion of this project for our customer, we embraced the new appearance of the 991 Carrera and admired its key features that we were able to provide. With the team and the customer highly satisfied with the result, this was the perfect start for her for this year’s race season. We look forward to supporting her new venture throughout the season!

If you are interested in a similar track prep, service work, or want information on our products please visit our website at TPCRacing.com, email us at info@tpcracing.com, or call us at (410)-799-7223.

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 02-28-2018, 09:22 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

I have to say that I’m impressed. Most people get carried away or distracted from what is important by pursuing the wrong mods and improvements to a car before a first track event, but what was done to this car is perfect for a beginner and strictly focused on the important aspects which is safety first. Hats off to you and the car owner for focusing on the primary important things rather than lowering springs and coilovers, aero, tune and all the other stuff that is completely unnecessary for a beginner.

I have a base Carrera and it is plenty of car in stock form for the track. I still don’t have a roll bar or seats for a harness, but I’m expecting the roll bar I made arrangements to purchase to become available soon so that I can buy seats and use harness and hans. The only other things I have done to the car are wheel studs, brake caliper studs and OEM front 6-piston brake calipers and pads from a Carrera S. After seats, harness, roll bar and Hans, your sway bar kit is next. Eventually, Ohlin coilovers, but even that will come later with more experience. Great job!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I have a base Carrera and it is plenty of car in stock form for the track. I still don’t have a roll bar or seats for a harness, but I’m expecting the roll bar I made arrangements to purchase to become available soon so that I can buy seats and use harness and hans. The only other things I have done to the car are wheel studs, brake caliper studs and OEM front 6-piston brake calipers and pads from a Carrera S. After seats, harness, roll bar and Hans, your sway bar kit is next. Eventually, Ohlin coilovers, but even that will come later with more experience. Great job!
Good idea to think safety as many forget this aspect. Once the safety equipment is in, you will want to look at upgraded brake pads, rotors and better tires. The OEM pads can melt in a day. If you don't need to better pads and rotors don't waste your money on coilovers and different sway bars. I run in the black run group with PCA and never saw a need for those type of major suspension changes. Porsche does a fantastic job with the OEM suspension and messing with it can lead to all kinds of complications. Unless your building a "race car" think hard before even considering those suspension changes. After safety, think brakes, alignment, tires and as always training with an instructor. Have fun.

If you're planning to drive the car on the street the seats they show in the pictures will be a major PITA. You won't be able to shoulder check. There are lots of options that will allow 6 points and still great for the street. While they are the safest seats, I just don't believe they are needed for DE.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Good idea to think safety as many forget this aspect. Once the safety equipment is in, you will want to look at upgraded brake pads, rotors and better tires. The OEM pads can melt in a day. If you don't need to better pads and rotors don't waste your money on coilovers and different sway bars. I run in the black run group with PCA and never saw a need for those type of major suspension changes. Porsche does a fantastic job with the OEM suspension and messing with it can lead to all kinds of complications. Unless your building a "race car" think hard before even considering those suspension changes. After safety, think brakes, alignment, tires and as always training with an instructor. Have fun.

If you're planning to drive the car on the street the seats they show in the pictures will be a major PITA. You won't be able to shoulder check. There are lots of options that will allow 6 points and still great for the street. While they are the safest seats, I just don't believe they are needed for DE.
Thanks. From one Canadian to another. Originally from Montreal. My OEM pads have been fine. One set lasted for 3 events last year (2 2-day events at Sebring and 1 day at PBIR), but my instructor (also a close friend) has told me that I’m not braking as late as I can and to have more confidence in the brakes and the car. I’m planning on doing a lot more events this year so we’ll see how they hold up. Maybe that’s why they’ve lasted. I also agree that I should have done rollbar, seats and harnesses first, but did not know how addicting this “tracking thing” is. If the car stays a (partial) street car, I won’t do the Ohlins because I also agree that the OEM suspension is fantastic. I’m neurotic about brakes, brake fluid and tires. I’m still on street tires. I’ve been doing this for 3 years, but don’t have as many events under my belts as I’d like and want to stay on street tires until my current ones are done. I’ll still use something that’s streetable, but something a little more track worthy. Thanks for the pointers. I’ll take all the advice i can get when it comes to tracking.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 PM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What size wheels and tires?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks. From one Canadian to another. Originally from Montreal. My OEM pads have been fine. One set lasted for 3 events last year (2 2-day events at Sebring and 1 day at PBIR), but my instructor (also a close friend) has told me that I’m not braking as late as I can and to have more confidence in the brakes and the car. I’m planning on doing a lot more events this year so we’ll see how they hold up. Maybe that’s why they’ve lasted. I also agree that I should have done rollbar, seats and harnesses first, but did not know how addicting this “tracking thing” is. If the car stays a (partial) street car, I won’t do the Ohlins because I also agree that the OEM suspension is fantastic. I’m neurotic about brakes, brake fluid and tires. I’m still on street tires. I’ve been doing this for 3 years, but don’t have as many events under my belts as I’d like and want to stay on street tires until my current ones are done. I’ll still use something that’s streetable, but something a little more track worthy. Thanks for the pointers. I’ll take all the advice i can get when it comes to tracking.
Enjoy, and I'm sure your instructor friend will help you along with the driving and car changes you need. When you do move up to CUP2 or similar R type compound tires (still street tires but not so good in rain) is when you will start to notice the impacts on your brakes. I had a couple 991s and the impact of moving to really sticky tires was huge. With better traction speed increases and thus more braking power needed and the sticky tires were able to take advantage of harder braking leading to a need for high performance brakes. Oh it's, as many have said, a very slippery slope...but so much fun. If you're out a Sebring (or other tracks) this winter and see a Lava Orange GT3.2 its a fellow Canadian from Quebec, Jean-Yves, say hi. He's actually staying in the Boca area for winter so you might see his car on the road. Enjoy the winter while we suffer in Canada :0
Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,385 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Ho boy - I hate to be the one to poop on this thread, but here's 20 years of Instructor Experience speaking from MY viewpoint. Feel free to disregard.

When you take a basic street car like this glass-sunroof 991 and start doing these mods to it, what you really wind up with is a very expensive car that is not really very good on the street or the track. They are very costly to repair if you ball it up into the Armco because they are unibody, your car insurance won't cover it and consumables are expensive. Roll bars are not full cages - you won't see just a roll bar in TPCs racing cars in the photos. If you put that rig upside down and the roof comes down, you are locked into the seats with the hard mounts and 6-points. The roll bar keeps the back of the roof up, but what about at the A-pillars where your head is? That's why you have full cages. This Corvette had a roll bar only, for example.

When you take these modified cars on the street - they are compromised as well and make fairly miserable cruisers. Been there, done that.

Price out a new engine on that 991, you'll be stunned. Stuff does happen at the track and happens frequently. Repairs are costly on a 991. For the cost of modifying this 991, you can have a REALLY nice tube frame race car that is far more fun to drive and cost far less to repair from either a mechanical or collision standpoint. One of the forum members here just bought a Radical which is 100x smarter than modifying a 991 for track duty. And way more fun, too. Once you do an center-position, open cockpit car at the track you'll never go back to running street cars on the track. The difference is huge.

This is the smart way to go to the track:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1054...look-here.html

Just pointing out an alternate opinion on all this....carry on.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:46 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're advocating buying a space frame race car for a beginner.......

What a beginner needs more than anything is basic training in a controlled safe environment.

What does this mean? It means taking your unmodified car, in good condition, to a group or club that has a formal training program starting with

(1) Personal prep
(2) Car prep
(3) Track behaviour and etiquette
(4) Followed by instruction (corner by corner, followed by sector by sector, followed whole laps on line at low speed to identify the line, braking points, corner entry, mid-corner, corner exit.
(5) Followed by seat time working on accuracy - followed by seat time working on consistency.

Safety and driving with in your limits should be inherent to all of this, particularly if you take instruction from licensed instructors and take part in graded events under the sanction of a national motorsport authority.

The most important things to encourage in motorsport are safe behaviours and the first cab off the rank is understanding your own limitations and the limitations of your vehicle.

The OP has sought advice and focussed on safety - this is a good thing. However, I would say this, the angle between the belt fix point and seat guides seems quite high - this is something to watch for as spinal compression can result from this configuration if that angle is too great (may be just the angle of the photo). The seats whilst great on track are poorly suited to road use, as you can't monitor your blind spot - in fact those seats would be illegal on the road in Australia other than for a car with limited road use licence (events e.g. rally cars) allowing travel between closed stages etc.

To the OP get some good training under your belt - get involved in a good club that has non W2W racing and build your experience carefully. No one wins a track day and a State or club trophy is worth 20 bucks . Enjoy your car in good health.

Also, don't get a tune and don't change the suspension it often stuffs things up in a Porsche.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:04 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Just pointing out an alternate opinion on all this....carry on.
Yet you post a picture of a car in a serious wreck, but you're "just pointing out an alternative".
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,385 Likes on 1,539 Posts

So you're advocating buying a space frame race car for a beginner.......

Absolutely not. You misread or I didn't explain it well enough. Run your stock car at the track - THEN look at buying a proper track car before you do the above mods to a car like a 991. Because those mods don't make it a good track car or a good street car. That's it.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 PM
TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to say that I’m impressed. Most people get carried away or distracted from what is important by pursuing the wrong mods and improvements to a car before a first track event, but what was done to this car is perfect for a beginner and strictly focused on the important aspects which is safety first. Hats off to you and the car owner for focusing on the primary important things rather than lowering springs and coilovers, aero, tune and all the other stuff that is completely unnecessary for a beginner.

We appreciate the feedback and kind words! We focused on her goals for the year to target what modifications would best suit her needs. She is a mother and wife and we wanted to make sure despite any unforeseen circumstance that she remains as safe as possible for her newly found hobby. We look forward for when you place your order for the TPC Racing sway bar kit! Thank you!

Originally Posted by phx991
What size wheels and tires?
Front wheels are 19" x 8.5" OZ Ultraleggera HLT wheels with 245/35/19 Toyo Proxes R888-R tires.
Rear wheels are 19" x 11" OZ Ultraleggera HLT wheels with 305/30/19 Toyo Proxes R888-R tires.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Great stuff! Agree with the comments about focusing on what's important first - safety. Have fun out there and don't listen to the detractors (intentional or otherwise).
Old 03-01-2018, 07:45 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Enjoy, and I'm sure your instructor friend will help you along with the driving and car changes you need. When you do move up to CUP2 or similar R type compound tires (still street tires but not so good in rain) is when you will start to notice the impacts on your brakes. I had a couple 991s and the impact of moving to really sticky tires was huge. With better traction speed increases and thus more braking power needed and the sticky tires were able to take advantage of harder braking leading to a need for high performance brakes. Oh it's, as many have said, a very slippery slope...but so much fun. If you're out a Sebring (or other tracks) this winter and see a Lava Orange GT3.2 its a fellow Canadian from Quebec, Jean-Yves, say hi. He's actually staying in the Boca area for winter so you might see his car on the road. Enjoy the winter while we suffer in Canada :0
He’s actually helping me tremendously. Gives good advice. Thanks for your advice about tires/brakes above. I’m loving it. Tons of fun. Even addressing the safety aspects. It’s like a project and your reward is a successful session. I’ll keep an eye out for that GT3 and say hello if I see him on track or in Boca. Sorry about the winters. They’re brutal. I went back to see family in December of 2016. Brutal weekend. Snowed. Cold. I understood why the Sofitel was a little of $100.00 per night in Montreal in the dead of winter. I’m scheduled to run a bunch of NASA events. Homestead this weekend. Sebring in April and June. I’m also trying to fit-in some Performance Driving Group events in between. Thanks for your comments again about brakes/tires.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on 19" 245F/305R tire sizes - any issues with ABS or Stability Control?

Originally Posted by TPC Racing
We appreciate the feedback and kind words! We focused on her goals for the year to target what modifications would best suit her needs. She is a mother and wife and we wanted to make sure despite any unforeseen circumstance that she remains as safe as possible for her newly found hobby. We look forward for when you place your order for the TPC Racing sway bar kit! Thank you!

Front wheels are 19" x 8.5" OZ Ultraleggera HLT wheels with 245/35/19 Toyo Proxes R888-R tires.
Rear wheels are 19" x 11" OZ Ultraleggera HLT wheels with 305/30/19 Toyo Proxes R888-R tires.
Hello,
Thanks for the useful info on 19" tire size options. Couple of quick questions -
1. Do these tire sizes - which are different diameters from stock - have any issues with the electronics?
- such as: ABS or Stability Control warning lights; speedometer calibration;
2. What is the wheel/tire setting used in the in-dash configuration menu for these tire sizes?
- ie. Summer 19" ? Winter 19"? etc.

Thanks,
- Sanjeev
Old 03-13-2018, 09:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

This may be the most inappropriate set of things done to a Novice DE car ever.

Quick Reply: Just Right DE Track Prep for this 991 Carrera and new racer!