Waves and Flashes between Porsche drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

SF dirtier than slums of the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...Francisco.html

"A recent investigation found 100 drug needles and more than 300 piles of feces on a 153 block area of downtown San Francisco
Infectious disease expert Dr Lee Riley told NBC Bay Area that the streets are getting dirtier than some slums in Brazil, Kenya and India."
Old 02-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

"A recent investigation found 100 drug needles and more than 300 piles of feces on a 153 block area of downtown San Francisco
Infectious disease expert Dr Lee Riley told NBC Bay Area that the streets are getting dirtier than some slums in Brazil, Kenya and India."
Without getting into politics it's fairly obvious why....
Old 02-26-2018, 02:14 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

300piles!Looks like someone is feeding those folks pretty well
Old 02-26-2018, 02:36 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm with you. However, I still keep giving a simple wave to all of the Porsche SUVs out there just to see if any will ever signal back. It's become a bit of a personal challenge. Interestingly I think that 98% of them never realize that another Porsche is coming by and I have the 4 point LED DRLs so it should be reasonably obvious. Either that or they are very good at pretending so.

I think that we 911 drivers have situational awareness settings that are unusually high and don't understand why everyone else isn't so attentive.
Cayenne-Macan/Panamera I don't really bother with for reasons you mentioned, mainly because the people that drive these models are in it because for the social status of driving a "PORSCHE". I'd give the benefit of the doubt to a Panamera Turbo though.

Cayman drivers really cool. Have had the most waves, nods and flashes.

On a nice winter night in a nice part of town here in Scottsdale, I was patiently waiting by myself at a long red light. I was people watching to my right and a car pulled up in the lane next to me... To my surprise its a silver 991.1 targa 4GTS... Beautiful lady in the passenger seat, he's leaned up kind of towards her.. I thought this would be a good time to challenge him to a rev battle clearly knowing he'd win and impress his lady since my 991.2 car is quieter. His lady looked but he did nothing.. Acted like nothing happened and waited for me to go when the light turned green... Whoever you are.. If you're reading this I was only trying to help!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:17 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

People change, times change. Once upon a time Porsches were not just expensive but exotic, as was any sports car, and most owners had to be pretty dedicated. Now, people migrate from a SUV to a 911 and then on to something else. Waving comes from being part of the tribe.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:12 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Here in Palm Beach the older 911's flash back. Rarely do the modern Porsche drivers. Older drivers do it...younger ones have no clue.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I find the flash/wave is common among male drivers slightly older and not so common of female and young drivers with no disrespect meant just an observation.
I have had to school my wife who was not properly indoctrinated into the tribe.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:48 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I was told we all gave fingers to say #1.... funny, its always reciprocated,
Old 02-26-2018, 08:49 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Flashing means there is a cop
Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I always wave. Rarely do I get a wave back. But I wave to other non-Porsche sports car drivers, too, and usually get one back.

I came from Corvettes - always waved, always got a wave back, no matter what generation of car.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Flashing means there is a cop
^ truth!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Non sports car Porsche drivers never wave or care.
Originally Posted by Nino
Cayenne-Macan/Panamera I don't really bother with for reasons you mentioned, mainly because the people that drive these models are in it because for the social status of driving a "PORSCHE". I'd give the benefit of the doubt to a Panamera Turbo though.
As the driver of both a Carrera S and a Cayenne S and being a person that does make every effort to "wave" to my fellow Porsche drivers, I really disagree with these universal all inclusive generalities....
Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes there are some Porsches up around the vacay home in Cashiers, NC but so many mountain twisties there is often no reaction time.

Plenty of bikers also but few some reason they do not want to acknowledge you exist even at stops, viewing areas, etc.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:06 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I always wave. Rarely do I get a wave back. But I wave to other non-Porsche sports car drivers, too, and usually get one back.

I came from Corvettes - always waved, always got a wave back, no matter what generation of car.
Yep, I had five Corvettes over the years and I agree it is much more instilled in their culture... although I guess that is getting to be years ago now and don't know if that still stands. I also acknowledge the other nice sports cars of all denominations too and sometimes get a response from them. Even nice Mustangs, BRZ's, WRX's, etc.

When I really feel like a heel is when I realized the driver of another car has waved and it doesn't register with me before they are past.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, what's with the "flash"?? Who the heck does that other than a warning for a cop clocking speeders? High beams on, or no lights at all??

Quick Reply: Waves and Flashes between Porsche drivers