Sponsored by:

Waves and Flashes between Porsche drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts
Default Waves and Flashes between Porsche drivers

I think most of us agree our community is awesome or we wouldn't be here on rennlist. One of the things I love is our waves/flashes as we pass each other. I've experienced 100s of them over the years.

My last flash/wave was yesterday when a Yellow 996 GT3 approached. I recognized the car instantly, gave the flash and a casual hand wave off my steering wheel. He reciprocated. We will likely never meet in person or know each other's story. But we had one thing in common.....we love our cars and the Porsche community.....and we knew exactly what each other was thinking at that moment. It was friggin' awesome! Damn that car looked fantastic too. I love the look of the much maligned 996 including the headlights.

I hope we keep this tradition alive as Porsche dilutes the sports car population with SUVs and soccer moms.

Speaking of soccer moms.....I did the flash and wave to a Cayenne after I got my first Porsche. She looked at me like I had a carrot growing out of my head. Never did that again. LOL.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm with you. However, I still keep giving a simple wave to all of the Porsche SUVs out there just to see if any will ever signal back. It's become a bit of a personal challenge. Interestingly I think that 98% of them never realize that another Porsche is coming by and I have the 4 point LED DRLs so it should be reasonably obvious. Either that or they are very good at pretending so.

I think that we 911 drivers have situational awareness settings that are unusually high and don't understand why everyone else isn't so attentive.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I found my experience to be the opposite when I'm in my TTS. In NY/NJ, I've waved to others in P cars but they just stare blankly at me or just give me a dirty look. When I'm in my STI, I get the experience that you get.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
I found my experience to be the opposite when I'm in my TTS. In NY/NJ, I've waved to others in P cars but they just stare blankly at me or just give me a dirty look. When I'm in my STI, I get the experience that you get.
Also a New Yorker, I get same response most of the time - quizzical or accusatory most of the time. Occasionally, someone will wave back.

Drove up to a beautiful 997 last summer, beeped the horn to try to get his attention and him the thumbs up - the guy never even tried to acknowledge me. Even drove past him to make sure he saw me, then slowed downed and beeped - no acknowledgment.

I get more waves and thumbs up from non Porsche owners than Porsche owners in these neck of the woods, unfortunately.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 02-25-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember discussing this about 10 years ago. The issue at the time was that the old timers in air cooled 911s were really really really good about the flash and the wave. The newer folks were not as good. We felt it was partly a generation issue....partly a new money dot .coms issue easy money issue with people who really did not appreciate what they were driving. We also thought that the dilution of the brand with the addition of SUVs and family sedans were taking is toll.
Where I live there are a lot of Porsches...so driving by another owner is not uncommon. I do not flash any Porsche driver who is driving a non 911....they may not even know WTF you are doing. If I am driving my 83SC I will get a lot more flashes than my 991.....so I am ready to respond.
Unless I am driving for a while in an area where I have not seeing another 911 for a while....I rarely flash or wave any more. I have seeing tooo many arrogant pretty boys in there expensive Turbos thinking that they are above it all. I am in So California....and that should tell you a lot. It is hard enough to get someone to say "hi" when you go out for a walk, let a lone someone wave or flash as they are going 65 in a 35 zone with there designer glasses and $300 haircut.
Abe
Old 02-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I always flash and wave, and receive the same acknowledgement in return.

Abe - it sounds like it's time to move out of CA...
Old 02-25-2018, 06:26 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The Bay Area... says it all. People, for the most part, have become real dicks in the last 15 years. I think it is the influx of people combined with the exodus of people who have roots here (I’m a native and lately my wife and I have been talking about leaving this state because of the situation with taxes). There is a lot of anxiety and stress, which doesn’t exactly create conditions for community. I still get waves when I’m riding my Indian and in the Cobra I’ll get a nod from muscle cars but in my Porsche, not so much so.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in a rural area of North Florida with a Porsche dealership that I have helped to keep in business for 34 years (is that better Lex?). When driving in my small area, I know most Porsches. I flash and wave to my friends and get no response. However, my most satisfying encounter is when someone pulls up to me at a traffic light or a parking lot and wants to speak with me extensively about my current Porsche. I even had a Florida Highway patrolman pull me over to give me a ticket for speeding on the interstate and just spoke with me extensively about my Porsche. He then gave me a ticket for $7.50 because I had an insurance card that was not into effect for 5 days. I do not need people to flash or wave. I really appreciate the non-Porsche folks who just want to speak with me about it. I even appreciate LEO's who recognize the car and want to speak with me about it. I have had many unusual contacts with them. Most are kind if you are kind.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
Same here in Minneapolis. On the highway to a PCA event? Yes, everyone waves. Not really any other time; just occasional waves from classic car drivers in general.

But when I had my STI, seemed like everyone did. The Subaru community is pretty amazing, actually.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Rarely happens to me.

Now, when I was on my CBR600RR even the cops would wave and flash...
Old 02-25-2018, 06:56 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I always wave to other 911s of any variety who usually wave back. Cayman/Boxster guys are usually pretty friendly too. Panny/Cayenne....I don't waste my time anymore. Most of those folks have no ideal why you are waving, and there seem to be so many of them now.

Jim
Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was always the case when I had my corvette. Owners always waved or flash. Almost never a miss... same with my vw R32 for other R32 owners. With my Cayman GTS and now 911, its hit or miss. I think it's the mix of owners. Some who have the car and are really car people (wavers and "flashers") and those who just own the car to "ride" in it. I always flash and wave. Want to encourage it!!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Bemo....many feel it is time to move specially if you work and pay taxes. My wife and I will do that near retirement.....can't now since I have a business that I just can not uproot.
My friend lives in Santa Cruz and his SUV was scratched multiple times because it was not an a eco friendly "Prius". I lived in SF 82-86 and the homeless situation was bad...but it is worse now. My wife came out of a restaurant last year and this guy took a crap right in front of us. There is actually a San Francisco "Poop Map".....I am not kidding, look it up. They also have a big problem with people breaking into your car not to steal it....but to sleep in it.
Yep.....time to get out.....it will only get worse.
Abe
Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m on my 4th Porsche, currently own 3. In my 2016 C4S or 2017 Panamera I rarely get a wave or flash. In my 1982 911SC a lot more people stop, wave, and acknowledge—many to offer to buy the car. Even non Porsche people.

I kinda wonder if it’s because of some perception of snobbiness in a new P car.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Non sports car Porsche drivers never wave or care.

Quick Reply: Waves and Flashes between Porsche drivers