Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018 | 09:27 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Default PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?

Hi guys, I currently own a 2015 base cayman and I have been shopping for a 991.1 to add to my garage.
I was hoping I would get advice/opinions regarding sport chrono package on 991.1. is it crucial to have on a base vs. S? and along the same lines does sport exhaust make a significant difference ?
I have been looking for a blue 911 and only few pre-owned base cars have both options, it is easier to find on an S. I am intrigued by the somewhat better deals on some of the base cars available and I know how good a base Carrera is but I can be swayed to just focus on getting an S if it is well worth the extra money.
The cayman is my daily driver and the 911 will be my fun/weekend car. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2018 | 09:42 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

For a fun weekend car...and a PDK, I think you will want the sport chrono and sport exhaust. Just my opinion.
Old 02-24-2018 | 09:44 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by doctorayes
Hi guys, I currently own a 2015 base cayman and I have been shopping for a 991.1 to add to my garage.
I was hoping I would get advice/opinions regarding sport chrono package on 991.1. is it crucial to have on a base vs. S? and along the same lines does sport exhaust make a significant difference ?
I have been looking for a blue 911 and only few pre-owned base cars have both options, it is easier to find on an S. I am intrigued by the somewhat better deals on some of the base cars available and I know how good a base Carrera is but I can be swayed to just focus on getting an S if it is well worth the extra money.
The cayman is my daily driver and the 911 will be my fun/weekend car. Thanks for your help.
Do you have either on your Cayman now? For me both are very desirable as they add tremendously to the driving enjoyment, and that's what these cars are all about!

Edit: I didn't answer your question. IMO, YES. For me sport chrono and PSE would be mandatory unless I simply couldn't afford the upgrade, and even then knowing what I know now I'd just wait and save up until I could afford them.
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:11 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
For a fun weekend car...and a PDK, I think you will want the sport chrono and sport exhaust. Just my opinion.
+1 (absolutely)
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:11 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Chrono is necessary with PDK. IMHO.
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:22 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cirrusly
Do you have either on your Cayman now? For me both are very desirable as they add tremendously to the driving enjoyment, and that's what these cars are all about!

Edit: I didn't answer your question. IMO, YES. For me sport chrono and PSE would be mandatory unless I simply couldn't afford the upgrade, and even then knowing what I know now I'd just wait and save up until I could afford them.
No I don't have either. I see strong support for both options, reading the responses so far. Not finding a blue base with both options but more available in an S, so do you similarly support getting an S vs. base ? is having PTV, bigger brakes and extra power worth the extra 12,000 (not tracking the car) ? if so I will go for an S, otherwise I should wait until a base with both options become available.
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Edit: Corrections later in the thread. The errors struck out below were 997.2 behaviors.

Agree, Chrono with PDK is a must. Without it the PDK tranny is shifting to maximize economy and not performance. The difference in behavior and responsiveness in Sport mode is huge.

If you find a car doesn't have it and is ideal otherwise, you can have it added by the dealer and get everything except the chronometer on the dash. Price in the mid $1k range as I understand it.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-25-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:36 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by doctorayes
No I don't have either. I see strong support for both options, reading the responses so far. Not finding a blue base with both options but more available in an S, so do you similarly support getting an S vs. base ? is having PTV, bigger brakes and extra power worth the extra 12,000 (not tracking the car) ? if so I will go for an S, otherwise I should wait until a base with both options become available.
Just my opinion - I'd go for the S without a second thought and never look back. The engagement level to me is well worth the price.
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:41 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

You are missing the big picture. The main reason for the S is the 3.8 engine.

Usually a manufacturer's base car sell more because it has a lower entry price. Not so with the 991.1.

Just test drive base and S to see the difference. As for the rest, SC is desirable for PDK. SE is nice but not necessarily IMHO. Neither is PDCC or PVT
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:55 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by visitador
... SE is nice but not necessarily IMHO. Neither is PDCC or PVT
PSE isn't necessary, but it certainly puts a big grin on my face. Once you've driven the Turbo you'll appreciate the NA PSE sound even more.
Old 02-24-2018 | 10:59 PM
STG
Race Director

SPORT CHRONO >> MUST

PSE >> HUGE BONUS

Base or S >> both have their fans
Old 02-24-2018 | 11:05 PM
salayc
Burning Brakes

I just picked up a 991.1 Carrera S today with almost every option. After my first day, including a little spirited driving, I would say sport chrono is something I won't use a lot. It winds up the engine quite a bit and turns the car into more of a monster than I need. Sport mode, on the other hand is just right for my style driving and makes the shifting responsive enough to feel sporty, but not "full race."
The PSE I love. With an open sunroof, letting off the gas or downshifting is quite satisfying when the PSE pops and growls. My opinion may change when I get some more miles behind me.
You need to test drive a few and see what you respond to.
Old 02-24-2018 | 11:12 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by salayc
I just picked up a 991.1 Carrera S today with almost every option. After my first day, including a little spirited driving, I would say sport chrono is something I won't use a lot. It winds up the engine quite a bit and turns the car into more of a monster than I need. Sport mode, on the other hand is just right for my style driving and makes the shifting responsive enough to feel sporty, but not "full race."
The PSE I love. With an open sunroof, letting off the gas or downshifting is quite satisfying when the PSE pops and growls. My opinion may change when I get some more miles behind me.
You need to test drive a few and see what you respond to.
I think you're confusing the Sport Chrono package with the Sport Plus driving mode. With the PDK, the Sport Plus mode is basically just for the track and will shift at redline in every gear. Pretty useless for the street.

The sport mode on the other hand tells the car "Hey, let's go play!"
Old 02-24-2018 | 11:17 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

I think you're confusing the Sport Chrono package with the Sport Plus driving mode. With the PDK, the Sport Plus mode is basically just for the track and will shift at redline in every gear. Pretty useless for the street.
would you mind explaining how SC works?
Old 02-24-2018 | 11:37 PM
salayc
Burning Brakes

The sport mode on the other hand tells the car "Hey, let's go play!"
It was explained to me, all the cars have sport mode, sport chrono cars have sport plus which is how sport chrono is activated. That may be wrong, but that's the way the dealer explained it.
I may have to dig out the manual...

Quick Reply: PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?