Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018 | 09:17 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
SPORT CHRONO >> MUST

PSE >> HUGE BONUS

Base or S >> both have their fans
^ this. (Although I would lean towards an S, bigger engine, bigger brakes...)
Old 02-26-2018 | 10:20 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
O/T but can anyone explain how PSE technically works compared to an x pipe (center muffler delete) on a 991? PSE changes the center muffler, but for what reason? It seems to sound similar to the standard exhaust when PSE is “off,” so when PSE is “on,” what makes it sound louder? Does it bypass the center muffler completely?
Here are the diagrams showing the exhaust flows on the three different 991.1 exhaust variants. The first is the 3.4 with no PSE, the second is the 3.8 with no PSE, and the last is the PSE. One thing that you will notice is that the PSE has an integrated X pipe. The other is that the 3.8 non-PSE has a direct outlet from the center muffler to an exhaust tip and a valve. On the non-PSE the valve only opens in the high 3K RPM range, while on the PSE it can be commanded open by selecting PSE.

The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (08-24-2020)
Old 02-26-2018 | 11:09 AM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here are the diagrams showing the exhaust flows on the three different 991.1 exhaust variants....
Excellent explanation. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2018 | 11:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

Here are the diagrams showing the exhaust flows on the three different 991.1 exhaust variants. The first is the 3.4 with no PSE, the second is the 3.8 with no PSE, and the last is the PSE. One thing that you will notice is that the PSE has an integrated X pipe. The other is that the 3.8 non-PSE has a direct outlet from the center muffler to an exhaust tip and a valve. On the non-PSE the valve only opens in the high 3K RPM range, while on the PSE it can be commanded open by selecting PSE.

LOLLLLLL I was looking at the “1” pipes scratching my head like “where TF do those go to? Why are they pointing at the back?!”

Guess I’m still getting used to “rear engine life.”

Thanks for the diagram btw. So it appears the PSE should essentially sound like an x pipe fitted non-PSE car? I want to say that my sharkwerks x pipe 3.4 sounds louder and more gruff than a PSE 3.4. But I can’t comfirm that until I drive the latter.
Old 02-26-2018 | 07:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks for the diagram btw. So it appears the PSE should essentially sound like an x pipe fitted non-PSE car? I want to say that my sharkwerks x pipe 3.4 sounds louder and more gruff than a PSE 3.4. But I can’t comfirm that until I drive the latter.
Sorta, except on the PSE it does pass it through one muffler chamber where "1" is in the orange part of the PSE diagram before going through the X section, resulting in increased suppression over most of the aftermarket ones that don't have any chamber (like the AWE and Soul ones).
Old 02-26-2018 | 08:46 PM
SG1214
Advanced

I say go for the SC, I have it and love the look of the clock on the dash to be honest, the sport plus setting is also cool when you are doing some (extra) spirited driving.
Old 02-26-2018 | 08:51 PM
K-A
Drifting

Sorta, except on the PSE it does pass it through one muffler chamber where "1" is in the orange part of the PSE diagram before going through the X section, resulting in increased suppression over most of the aftermarket ones that don't have any chamber (like the AWE and Soul ones).
Ahh right, I see that. Which perfectly explains why mine sounds a bit louder and more anadultered than PSE, which retains slightly more of a refined sound in comparison.

Quick Reply: PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?