Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I skipped SC and PSE with no regrets. For SC I only wanted the motor mounts, do not like Big Ben on the dash and I'd couldn't see using launch control much, if at all; S+ shifting too harsh. Not a fan of the farts and burbles of PSE. It's all about personal taste, of course, just thought I'd provide a alternate view.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:30 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
For a fun weekend car...and a PDK, I think you will want the sport chrono and sport exhaust. Just my opinion.
This. When I was looking both were a necessity for me on a PDK car. My C2S also has PASM Sport and after having it I think that it's very desirable for a weekend car that will be driven like Porsche intended or tracked. So keep an eye out for that option as well.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yes, I confused the 991 non-SC with the 997 models, which did not have a Sport button unless SC was spec'ed. I checked and in the 991 the Sport button was made standard even without SC. Sorry for the confusion. As far as mode buttons go, Sport Plus is the only one added with SC in a 991 model. While I sometimes use Sport Plus in manual mode, the only other time I use it is when auto crossing. Like others said, Sport Plus isn't generally usable on the road unless you take manual control of the shifts.

Just FYI, the link in this post points to the Sport Chrono section for the 991.2 models, which is a little different from the 911.1 models. For example there is no Sport Response button or Individual mode on the 991.1.
I just set my Individual mode on my 17 Cab S. Very cool feature!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a thought... if you find one with everything EXCEPT pse, no big deal. Either oem or aftermarket is easy to add. You can never add SC or PDCC.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorayes
Very helpful. Hope I come back soon with my 911 pics :-)
Good luck. Let us know what you find!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Observations

Sunroof and cabs used hold less value over time.

3.8 N/A "S" s is way to go.

only way to get dynamic engine mounts is to add sports chrono. Worth having and no easy way to add plus who does not want a nice time.piece on their dash ?

sports exhaust can be added after the fact for around $1500. Worth having for smile factor but no real performance benifit.

also crap is stock steering wheel (you need the sport version) but again easy to add for around 1k.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
.... sports exhaust can be added after the fact for around $1500. Worth having for smile factor but no real performance benifit.
The PSE is a $2950 factory option and it can be added later at the dealer for $1500?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Not at the dealer but dealer has to program

Exhaust consist of two side mufflers, a center muffler, exhaust tips, sport exhaust button in cabin.
The only thing you really need to change is the center muffler and the button in the cabin (dealer charged me $150 to install and program button). I would pay someone else (other than dealer) or install the center muffler on my own (which I did with a buddy's help). Performs flawless. PM me if you would like instructions or there are several threads here and 6speed online on DIY.

QUOTE=Cirrusly;14829653]The PSE is a $2950 factory option and it can be added later at the dealer for $1500?[/QUOTE]
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
I skipped SC and PSE with no regrets. For SC I only wanted the motor mounts, do not like Big Ben on the dash and I'd couldn't see using launch control much, if at all; S+ shifting too harsh. Not a fan of the farts and burbles of PSE. It's all about personal taste, of course, just thought I'd provide a alternate view.
Totally agree Had SC with and without...went without on the new build...hate the look of it on the dash and the launch control is useless unless you are a boy street racer. No regrets
Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cirrusly
The PSE is a $2950 factory option and it can be added later at the dealer for $1500?
Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Exhaust consist of two side mufflers, a center muffler, exhaust tips, sport exhaust button in cabin.
The only thing you really need to change is the center muffler and the button in the cabin (dealer charged me $150 to install and program button). I would pay someone else (other than dealer) or install the center muffler on my own (which I did with a buddy's help). Performs flawless. PM me if you would like instructions or there are several threads here and 6speed online on DIY.
Thx. Didn't know that. I already have PSE but I was curious how dealer installed could possibly be cheaper than factory.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Totally agree Had SC with and without...went without on the new build...hate the look of it on the dash and the launch control is useless unless you are a boy street racer. No regrets
+1. My 997.2S had SC, never used the plus and didn't care for the dash wart. My 991 base is fine with just the Sport button. I recommend PASM as an option to look for in a base. To each his own-
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote for the S with Sport Chrono. The S has PASM (non-S does not) which to me is a must for my soft bottom. I want a comfortable ride when cruising and a stiff ride for spirited driving. I had a non- S 997.2 and it was too rough on bumpy roads. 991.1 S with its PASM takes those bumps just fine.
Also vote for the Sport Chrono for 2 reasons: dynamic engine mounts which smooth the vibrations from the engine and transmission when cruising and stiffen them when doing that good old spirited driving thing. And two, Sport Plus mode with PDK on the track is awesome. I don't track much so having the transmission in the right gear at the right time lets me concentrate on what the instructor is screaming at me to correct. 🙂.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusly
Good luck. Let us know what you find!
I definitely will :-)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

O/T but can anyone explain how PSE technically works compared to an x pipe (center muffler delete) on a 991? PSE changes the center muffler, but for what reason? It seems to sound similar to the standard exhaust when PSE is “off,” so when PSE is “on,” what makes it sound louder? Does it bypass the center muffler completely?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:07 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
O/T but can anyone explain how PSE technically works compared to an x pipe (center muffler delete) on a 991? PSE changes the center muffler, but for what reason? It seems to sound similar to the standard exhaust when PSE is “off,” so when PSE is “on,” what makes it sound louder? Does it bypass the center muffler completely?
valves open so air moves through all piping; 4 tips instead of just 2 in PSE off. Makes it louder.

Quick Reply: PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?