Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorayes
would you mind explaining how SC works?
I think Porsche can explain it far batter than I can. Click here.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

For 991.1 my choice is an S. It's 3.8L and worth every penny.
As for SC if you go PDK it is a must IMO. With MT it is nice to have and the biggest benefit is Dynamic Engine Mounts.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:55 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

If you are going for the 991.1 I would say try to get the best example possible within your budget.

S, PDK, Sport Exhaust, PDCC ...... all worth it.

Sport Plus package... I've only ever use sport plus a hand full of times and would not really place this in the "have to" options bin.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:29 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

I’d say if the car is perfect otherwise, you can skip it, but it’s one of the best options. Manual shifting in S+ is more rapid than in Sport, and the dynamic engine mounts help in every way. Also the clock looks good imo (also the MFD performance data is cool, etc. etc.). Having a base with it provided a cool unique element most other bases don’t have.

PSE or any uncorked exhaust is a must on an N/A. These engines sound so amazing that you’re gonna want to let that music freely sing. It’s like having a mechanical orchestra behind you.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:55 AM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you all for your advice. I will narrow my search now to only the S cars with SC and SE preferably a 2016 car. There are a few available with blue colors, maybe I will post examples and see what you guys think. One more factor is when you look at Florida cars, sometimes they don't have a sunroof. what do you guys think is it a deal breaker ? or do you prefer the cleaner look without one ?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank you all for your advice. I will narrow my search now to only the S cars with SC and SE preferably a 2016 car. There are a few available with blue colors, maybe I will post examples and see what you guys think. One more factor is when you look at Florida cars, sometimes they don't have a sunroof. what do you guys think is it a deal breaker ? or do you prefer the cleaner look without one ?
I love my sunroof but I wish my car didn’t have one. Clean look is cool, but namely the extra headroom is very nice for my height (though even a sunroof 911 has astonishingly good headroom, better than about any euro large luxo barge, Porsche as always engineering masters and providing detailed elements) as well I value any extra rigidity and weight savings (I have a steel sunroof at least, which is lighter than the glass roof).
Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

...One more factor is when you look at Florida cars, sometimes they don't have a sunroof. what do you guys think is it a deal breaker ? or do you prefer the cleaner look without one ?
My money is on you hearing the full range of answers from “not needed” to “it’s mandatory”. Frankly, the main reason for me not buying the Cayman back in 2014 was that I wanted more of a light and airy feeling so I picked up my Boxster. Having come from an Audi TTS, I missed having a sunroof but loved the mid engine handling of the 981. FYI, I just went through this process and put a deposit on a car approx a week ago (waiting for warmer weather in a few weeks to pick it up). This time around, I decided that for a 911, it would be one with a sunroof if it wasn’t a cabrio or targa. Also, I determined that I wanted an S if I were to find a 991.1 as I know I would likely want to replace the car sooner if not an S.

As far as a deal breaker for me, I’d say PDK without Sport Chrono would be; however, if this can be added after the fact for $1k perhaps not so much an issue. That said, all the pre-owned cars I looked at recently had Sport Chrono with PDK. Finding a car with a manual, sunroof and sport plus seats with heat and ventilation was near impossible so I figured I’d go with the PDK as that broadened the choices substantially. As far as PSE is concerned, this wasn’t an important option for me but the car I ended up buying had this as well. In my case, I ended up finding a more recent 991.2 S that had everything I wanted - this did require revisiting my self imposed budget as there was nothing available in the base model. One thing for sure, I doubt I’ll be wanting more power in the near future !

Wishing you luck finding the right car and enjoy the process ...
Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

The S in an 991.1 is noticeably more torquey and powerful compared to a non- S, which to me is plenty fast and feels like it revs faster.
Sport exhaust adds the right sounds at the right times for fun in any model.
Sport Chrono - on the S PDK - adds a bunch of things:
1) launch control capability (fun once or twice but generally useless)
2) access to faster responding and higher revs in gears engine mapping in "Sport" mode (just like the "Sport " mode of non SC cars) and a track oriented " Sport +" mode that keeps the engine at max revs in gears the PDK is in " Auto" - you can shift where you want in "manual" mode. I find Sport + on a PDK S worse that useless on the street.
3) dynamic engine/transmission mounts that change from "soft" to "firm" when in "Sport of Sport-+" mode for noticeable stiffness increase and handling improvement when driven VERY sportingly.
All this stuff is very desirable to me (along with Sport PASM) but not "necessary" to enjoy a 991. They are all great drives. Keep in mind that some folks talk about "necessary" colors too.
One thing about a sunroof. I use mine a lot- popping up the back to stop the booming the occurs with the windows open- a real issue over about 60 mph. The solutions sold by aftermarket companies to deflect the airflow by replacing the small plastic triangles at the front of the door glass are about the only real "necessity" for a non sunroof coupe.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:23 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you find a car doesn't have it and is ideal otherwise, you can have it added by the dealer and get everything except the chronometer on the dash. Price in the mid $1k range as I understand it.
This was true in the older cars (I had it done to a 987.2) but I don't think it's the case any more.

Note: I weighed in earlier that SC is "necessary" on a car with PDK. I suppose that's maybe too extreme - it will be an awesome car either way. Personally I wouldn't want a non-SC car because I love PDK and I track my cars. The PDK doesn't behave well for the track in non-Sport Plus mode IMHO.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
It was explained to me, all the cars have sport mode, sport chrono cars have sport plus which is how sport chrono is activated. That may be wrong, but that's the way the dealer explained it.
I may have to dig out the manual...
Yes, I confused the 991 non-SC with the 997 models, which did not have a Sport button unless SC was spec'ed. I checked and in the 991 the Sport button was made standard even without SC. Sorry for the confusion. As far as mode buttons go, Sport Plus is the only one added with SC in a 991 model. While I sometimes use Sport Plus in manual mode, the only other time I use it is when auto crossing. Like others said, Sport Plus isn't generally usable on the road unless you take manual control of the shifts.

Originally Posted by Cirrusly
I think Porsche can explain it far batter than I can. Click here.
Just FYI, the link in this post points to the Sport Chrono section for the 991.2 models, which is a little different from the 911.1 models. For example there is no Sport Response button or Individual mode on the 991.1.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
This was true in the older cars (I had it done to a 987.2) but I don't think it's the case any more....
And I thought I had this down pat... gah! I guess I keep blurring the 997.2 and the 991.1.

Thanks for the correction. I checked the TEquipment page and don't see it there for the 991. I think I'll just be quiet now, after I correct my earlier post so as not to mislead anyone further!)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:49 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes on the S
If PDK then the SC is a great addition and would be on my list for sure
If no PSE then the dealer can add it (I had my dealer add to my Carrera S).. would have preferred to have found one with the feature but the other options were what I wanted and this one was dealer installable.....
Sunroof --- I actually like the Cab a lot better - especially for just running around .... if no Cab then I would not get the sunroof....

just my 2¢ worth ....
Old 02-25-2018, 11:04 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

If sunroof is important, maybe you should be checking the cabriolet. Otherwise, since you are hunting for a used one, I would go without sunroof if the other desired options are present.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

If I found a car without a sunroof that had all of the other options that I wanted I wouldn't let that stop me from getting it. I like my sunroof, especially coming from a cabriolet, but I also like the really clean look, weight savings and less complexity of a clean roof. In my case with a light bright color and everything else black on the car (no chrome) I really like the way that the black roof looks. As others have said the headroom issue isn't nearly as bad as it is in other cars as the sunroof actually moves up then back instead of taking up room in the headliner area.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:49 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Very helpful. Hope I come back soon with my 911 pics :-)

Quick Reply: PDK 991.1 with or without sport chrono ?