Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you fall in love? Hertz?!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018 | 01:29 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by jdedeux
haha...i'm hoping to build this kind of relationship with my human wife. i need to take some pointers from you guys

thanks for sharing...maintenance is interesting and something i thought about so good to hear. i have a feeling im going to spend a lot of $$ keeping this car in showroom condition
It's easy - just say these things over and over...

1. You're right and I'm wrong
2. You're smart and I'm a cavman
3. You're so beautiful and I'm a caveman.
Old 02-22-2018 | 04:08 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

My first 911 driving experience was with a white 991.1 base model at the Burbank Airport Hertz rental spot. I did it on a whim, and got to drive it on Mulholland Drive, Tuna Canyon, and whatever other roads I could find on a late Saturday evening. It impressed me enough to buy something very similar roughly a year later. Like R_Rated, I did not need a high power 911 as I have other outlets for that.
Old 02-22-2018 | 04:31 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

$30/day??!! do share please i have a few months before my delivery...ha
Sorry, I meant $30 per day upgrade!!

Go to hertz.com and book at your desired location which has the 991.. Use CDP code: 77694(USAA) or 40000(IBM). There's also a Car and Driver CDP floating around the internet somewhere.. Play with all the codes and book the cheapest possible vehicle.

When you arrive at the counter you ask how much they're charging to upgrade into a 911. If it's some random long weekend they will not give it to you for cheap and will ask minimum $100 per day.. Never ever pay more than $100 per day as it's pure commission for the CSR. Let them know that you're a regular customer and you usually get the car for $30 per day.. Some might give it to you, some will negotiate and act like "they checked the system" and it won't let them rent it out for that cheap.. Just settle on a price that you're happy with.. I have gotten familiar with the Sky Harbor location and manage to get all sorts of nice cars for dirt cheap.. Almost to the point where I can rent a nice brand new car for a month cheaper than your typical lease with no money down.. Escalade comes to mind and sometimes the dream cars.

There have been times where I've gotten it for $15 per day or even a complementary upgrade because they were all out of the economy car I booked. This past New Year long weekend there were people RAGING at the counter because hertz was charging $999 per day upgrade for SUV's... Umm I'll take the C63 for a week for $200 bucks.. Thanks.

I also don't even get sticked for the mileage anymore.. Used to be 0.75 cents per mile after 75 miles. I've gone 300-500 miles over no problems.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that sometime they will throw outrageous numbers at your for upgrades $400 per day and I've even been told $1500 per day.. I became an acquaintance with an employee who told me they get away with charging massive amounts of money for these cars because it's all corporate paid or the customer is a CEO or something.
Old 02-22-2018 | 04:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

What made me pull the trigger on my first 911? I was looking for a good 968 M030 6SP coupe with little success when a friend called to see if I knew anyone who wanted his (insanely cool) 1979 911 SC. Trigger pulled, but soon found I preferred my 914—and needed a more practical daily because I had really fallen in love and needed to buy a ring.

What made me pull the trigger on my first new 911? The drive(s) below, at the international press launch for the 991.2. I almost canceled my order for a GT4. Two years later, I ordered a 2018 911 Carrera 7MT and sold the GT4 with no regrets:
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-10/...updates-wvideo
Old 02-22-2018 | 04:54 PM
P991GTS
Instructor

what a beauty!
Thank you! It was (is) so gorgeous that it got us to buy it when we were not planning on it. I would have chosen a more personal build but the classic silver/black is very nice. I am hoping it'll age gracefully as this older model:
Old 02-22-2018 | 08:45 PM
Driven991
Racer

Before buying a 911, I had Mustang variants...GT, Boss 302, GT500. All the crazy things I did when I was younger caught up with me and I found driving a manual to be causing me knee pain. So my Boss 302, which I loved, was not getting driven much.

Some buddies of mine have had 997 911s. Cabs, Ss and one had a Turbo for a while. I couldn't really figure out why they loved Porsches so much. One thing I did sort of notice is that anytime a car magazine reviewed a sports car the standard by which these cars were compared was the 911.

I decided I wanted a sports car with an automatic and after doing some reading I found that the PDK seemed to be rated the highest. My buddies had told me that in general the Carrera variants did not hold their value all that well so I found a 14 C2S with very low miles at a nearby dealer. So my wife and I drove up one afternoon to look at it. When I saw it, I thought the shape of the car was just beautiful. I must have stared at it for 5 minutes. One thing I noticed right away is that there was NO pushback from the SA for us to drive it. In fact, they encouraged us to drive it.

My experience with Corvettes and the nicer Mustangs was just the opposite. Those dealers would not let you test drive without a signed purchase agreement. What a completely different experience at Porsche. ****ty overrated American sports cars were more of a hassle to get a test drive than one of the nicest cars in the world. It made me chuckle to myself at how easy it was to check out the Porsche.

The Porsche SA goes over the cars basic features with us and takes us out for a brief test drive with him driving. He did this to show us the Sport mode and how to drive it. Then he took us back to the dealership and said take it out and enjoy it for a while. And we did.....my wife loved it. She could not believe how quick it was and how well it handled. She has since become a Porsche snob. We negotiated with the SA a little bit and finally settled on a deal 3 days later. So I took my Boss 302 and sold it and the we drove up and picked up our new to us 14 C2S with CPO.

I really enjoyed looking at and driving that car. It took me about a month before I finally accepted the fact that I owned one of the most iconic sports cars ever built..a Porsche 911. I bought the car with the intention of driving it whenever and wherever I wanted and not just to look at it. And I did, put 8000 miles on it in 6 months.

I had been to Ford Racing School when I owned the Boss so my wife and I almost immediately signed up for Porsche Sport Driving School after buying the 14. That was a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that I really got to appreciate what these cars are capable of and why they are so good. Also a curse because the .2 cars had just come out and were the cars we drove at PSDS. The new twin turbo cars had so much down low RPM torque which was the only thing I was missing from the .1 cars.

Shortly after I got back from my first Porsche driving school I started wanting a .2 911. I finally found a CPO GT Silver 17 C2S with what I wanted on it and only 700 miles on the clock. My wife had tired of hearing me talk about it so she gave me the green light and I drove down to Southpoint Porsche and traded my 14 for the 17. I now have about 10000 miles on this car after just over year of ownership.

After my trip to the Masters course at PSDS I just fell in love with driving on the track. The great thing about the 911 is that you can literally just take it to the track, drive the crap out of it and take it home with minimal modification. The cooling is good and the brakes are good right out of the box.

I want to start taking a car to the track but frankly the thought of wrecking my own 911 gives me some pause. So I have considered getting rid of it to buy something I would worry less about wrapping around a track barrier. However, every time I get close to selling the 911 I think about how nice it is and how great it drives and I just can't seem to do it. So many things I really enjoy about the car, and the ironic part is that my wife has become a little bit of a Porsche snob. No way she wants me to get rid of it.

I see so many 911s that have so few miles and I can't understand it. These cars were meant to be driven and can be driven...hard. So the one thing I would recommend is that you book a course at PSDS where you can drive and see what the car is capable of and enjoy the flat 6 screaming at high RPM.

So to the OP, I sincerely hope you enjoy your 911 as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Old 02-22-2018 | 08:58 PM
drugstocowboy
Track Day

Not trying to start a war, but here's the story. Was always in love with 911 ever since high school. I promised myself that one day I would own one. Fast forward 12 years when the 991 generation came out and fell in love all over again. It was the rear lights and the wide hips that did me in. At that time I had an Infiniti G35 and I loved that car to death, but the dream was still the 991. After starting my career I was looking to replace the G35 as it was getting up there in age...13/14 years old. Decided to call the Porsche dealership just for fun. That was 2.5 years ago and that was when the sales rep informed me that the NA 991 of old were being phased out. In a panic over the next 6 months I hunted nation-wide for the exact car/spec that I wanted as order to spec was no longer available for NA models. I found the perfect 2016 991.1 Carrera S in agate grey, Sports Chrono, 20 inches rims, PDK, and sports steering wheels with nothing else added. Although I was $50,000 short I decided it was too good of a find to pass up as the dealership also gave me a 5.5% discount, a $800 due-bill accessory credit (bought sunshade, floor mats, thermals, front toll-hook license plate holder incase I ever got a fix-it ticket, rear license plate holder, LED clear corners, etc.) and dealer did a dealer-swap for it in good faith and held it for me for 2 weeks without a deposit. In Feb of 2016, I pulled the trigger with financing about half of the car over 5 years and DO NOT regret it at all. Carrie, my 991.1, is the love of my life!

Last edited by drugstocowboy; 02-22-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 02-22-2018 | 09:28 PM
saa106
Rennlist Member

My wife and I have had many, many interesting cars. Lots of corvettes, Z06's, 700hp CTS-V and 20+ mustangs. A few years back we looked at everything from new Z06/07's, Vipers, BMW M's. When she and I drove the 991...that was it. We found one to our spec and we were Porsche owners.
Old 04-22-2018 | 06:34 AM
awini
Instructor

The first 911 i drove was a G series Targa back in the early 90s when I was in college. That drive has always been in my head since, till I took delivery of my 991.2 C2S two years ago.I had actually ordered a 991 C4GTS which Porsche India couldn't deliver so got the first 991.2 turbo Carrera delivered in India, and its Miami Blue 😊 Totally Worth the wait.
Old 04-22-2018 | 06:34 AM
awini
Instructor

The first 911 i drove was a G series Targa back in the early 90s when I was in college. That drive has always been in my head since, till I took delivery of my 991.2 C2S two years ago.I had actually ordered a 991 C4GTS which Porsche India couldn't deliver so got the first 991.2 turbo Carrera delivered in India, and its Miami Blue 😊 Totally Worth the wait.
Old 04-22-2018 | 11:51 AM
kage65
Racer

Plugged in several dates in Atlanta, each one always comes back with "not available". Thinking they don't have 911's here. I was ready to book. : o (
Old 04-22-2018 | 10:13 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Had a grey remote controlled 928 as a kid and that started a flicker. Was in college in Germany and would turn around and oogle and drool when one drove by or flew past on the Autobahn. Each encounter made the flamer of desire bigger and bigger. I read about the car, loved the notion of the highly capable Ar$e engined car. I promised to get myself one after training. Fast forward about a decade later and other specializations and within a couple of months of becoming a full time professional test drove C4s convertible. The salesman was indifferent and bored, hardly said or asked anything. A very underwhelming experience. Went to another dealer about a month later with my wife and kids and he just handed us the keys and asked us to go for a drive - another C4S, but manual. took about a 15 minute drive and was sold. Wanted to purchase the vehicle but my wife asked me to wait a year - she thought it would be too ostentatious for the newby in the group to be driving a 911. Suffice to say that was the longest year for me...by then the flicker was a raging fire. And on another note, I did not quite make it a year before I bought one. First love, remains my Avatar despite other Porsches since
Old 04-23-2018 | 02:03 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

For me it was family.

My parents had a 1987 white 928s4 with a strosek kit on gold BBS rims. Straight up 80s stylin.

that car left a heavy impressiion on my every since.

I was bouncing around mercedes, audis, bmws for a lot of years including a few M cars. I came close on getting the 986 in 2004 but went with the Audi TTQC 6 speed. And went with a M6 V10 in 2012 instea nof the 997S. I was really stuck on driving a V10 for once in my life.

finally in 2013 i picked up a 987.2S for my wife and the rest was history
Old 04-23-2018 | 02:12 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Florida State University. 1976, Junior Year.

I made good money as a professional motorcycle mechanic while going to college and owned a pristine while 1963 Split Window Corvette, which to a 22-year-old kid was sports car nirvana. I knew of Porsches, but never paid them any mind. Little **** pots they were, small and not very throaty, especially compared to my 327 V8 with side pipes. Silly small German cars, like a Volkswagen only better looking.

There was an older guy, not a student, that lived in the townhouse community and he had a 911. It was on a Saturday and we were both washing out cars and he struck up a conversation. Car Guy to Car Guy. I didn't know anything about Porsche and didn't really care, either. I had a CORVETTE. He says "Come on, let's go for a ride". I hopped in and off we went. I was pretty impressed with how he took the corners in it, and how well-planted it was on the sweepers. On the way back he said "You drive", so I did .... and, well, it was like nothing I had ever driven before. It was so nimble, and so precise, it was as it was hard-wired into your brain and I was just blown away by it. Suddenly my '63 didn't seem so special, with its leaf-spring rear and totally numb one-finger overboosted power steering. I fell hard for the 911. That summer, the Vette was sold and I found a pretty 1970 911E in silver with just 26,000 miles on it that I could buy for just $ 1,800 more than what my Corvette sold for. I drove that car to 234,000 miles and was totally mad for it.

42 years later I'm still driving Porsche 911's.
Old 04-23-2018 | 12:17 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
Florida State University. 1976, Junior Year.

I made good money as a professional motorcycle mechanic while going to college and owned a pristine while 1963 Split Window Corvette, which to a 22-year-old kid was sports car nirvana. I knew of Porsches, but never paid them any mind. Little **** pots they were, small and not very throaty, especially compared to my 327 V8 with side pipes. Silly small German cars, like a Volkswagen only better looking.

There was an older guy, not a student, that lived in the townhouse community and he had a 911. It was on a Saturday and we were both washing out cars and he struck up a conversation. Car Guy to Car Guy. I didn't know anything about Porsche and didn't really care, either. I had a CORVETTE. He says "Come on, let's go for a ride". I hopped in and off we went. I was pretty impressed with how he took the corners in it, and how well-planted it was on the sweepers. On the way back he said "You drive", so I did .... and, well, it was like nothing I had ever driven before. It was so nimble, and so precise, it was as it was hard-wired into your brain and I was just blown away by it. Suddenly my '63 didn't seem so special, with its leaf-spring rear and totally numb one-finger overboosted power steering. I fell hard for the 911. That summer, the Vette was sold and I found a pretty 1970 911E in silver with just 26,000 miles on it that I could buy for just $ 1,800 more than what my Corvette sold for. I drove that car to 234,000 miles and was totally mad for it.

42 years later I'm still driving Porsche 911's.
Nice one!!

Quick Reply: How did you fall in love? Hertz?!!