Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a lot of fun on the "twisties".... in my Mazda 3 sedan.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

My wife drives a Mazda 3GT as does her friend on my recommendation. I think its the best value on the road. New Accord looks nice, a little bigger and comes with MT.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Golf R.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Might be a little more than you want to spend, but they seem to lease ok and are a fun drive especially in awd. Sound good too and its Italian.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

So I called to get a payoff quote. To buy the car out in April, it’ll cost about $12.7K (before taxes). 2015 with let’s call it likely around 15K miles at the time (we’re allotted 36K). The car has a dent in the front from a fender bender she got in, and otherwise has normal wear and tear for its age and mileage. Mazda allots us $1K in “allowance” of which they’ll take care of that amount. No way to know yet whether we’ll go over that amount, but will know soon. Also, there will be a disposition fee to return the car to them and not lease or buy another Mazda.

Seems like a decent deal. At the same time, would like to find something different and maybe cooler. But won’t find anything like it for $12.7K especially that I have the personal history on, I can tell you that.

Originally Posted by 911boy
My wife drives a Mazda 3GT as does her friend on my recommendation. I think its the best value on the road. New Accord looks nice, a little bigger and comes with MT.
Agreed, it truly is. Interior like an entry Audi. Even has that stupid trendy pop up screen that all the expensive German sedans have, lol.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Golf R.
*Drooling.*
Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Man. I saw Stout singing its praises too. It makes me REALLY interested in it, but it sounds so fun, quirky and engaging that it might dethrone the 911, lol. I would love one for the wife, but 2 small cars may be too much.

Still, you REALLY got me thinking (itching). Especially if it’s so cheap.

Our Abarth was more fun, in many ways, than my GT4. No joke. Also shockingly roomy for four adults inside (in a pinch, and two need to be 5'6 to maybe 5'10, but if they are you'll be surprised by how comfortable they are...it's like magic). When we bought our 2013, they couldn't give them away. Got $7k off sticker ($24k) with no dickering. Felt so bad, I actually bought an extended warranty—and it proved to be Honda reliable over two years and 18,000 miles. Our nanny bought it and is well over 20,000 miles with no problems.

The Mini is a better car. So is the FiST. And the GTI/Golf R is definitely a nicer/better car. But I would do another Abarth. Just gets under your skin. Driving position is very strange (but that feeling goes away after a while, kind of like it does with your first 993, and I even grew to like sitting up high...and I usually like to sit as low as I can in a car), shifter is so-so, gauges in the early cars are a hot mess, and the turning circle is like the Exxon Valdez's (they had to put limiters in for the fat tires), but maaaaaaaaaaaan was it fun to drive and useful. Great seats, great engine, really fun handling up to 6/ or 7/10ths (all you need on the street), decent brakes unless you try to keep a well-driven 997 Carrera S on R-compound tires in sight on a very twisty road (which the thing could actually do...until the brakes started smelling like they were going to catch on fire), and a TON of interesting aftermarket stuff out there. Had I kept it, I would have done Neuspeed springs with Konis, a bigger rear bar, a Neuspeed shifter, Assetto Corse 17s, and 6-piston Wilwood brakes.

This is making me want to buy my old car back, or go find another.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:42 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

anyone who tells you that the Honda is not dialed in is doing you a disservice. Honda makes great cars. GREAT cars. everything they do is excellent.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
anyone who tells you that the Honda is not dialed in is doing you a disservice. Honda makes great cars. GREAT cars. everything they do is excellent.
But the wind and road noise is so loud I cannot hear myself think!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Highyo--RE: Honda excellence. You may want to ask McClaren F1 about that
However, there cars are pretty darn good (and trucks, I have my third Ridgeline now).
K-A--Maybe an Insight hybrid for second city car?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Honda has always been the top of the line in each sector it competed. check out doug's latest video on the honda passport minivan. my brother has it. it's seriously impressive.

and the accord actually is one of the best cars on the road year in and out. i think the may have lost their way w the bucktooth acuras but i would think Honda should definitely be on your list ka
Old 02-21-2018, 05:52 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Golf R.
2016 Golf R as my daily driver. Great car, but I don't think the handling is all that spectacular.

My brother is just now getting rid of his daily driver 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 (first-gen Mazda 3) for a new Golf R, and we both agree his car is much snappier, better turn in, steering feel, feedback, etc.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
gauges in the early cars are a hot mess,
How do you mean? Mine is a 2012, but I've had no issues with gauges...
Old 02-21-2018, 10:30 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Type R would be ideal if in budget (appliance grade with fun factor. Like a better WRX). Really?! Hadn’t heard that about the Accord. Will look into that. Can’t believe I’m saying that. The Accord Coupe looks better than the M-B C coupe imo. It looks almost BMW sedan-based-coupe good (imo amongst all BMW’s recent stumbles, they still can do a sedan-based-coupe better than anyone).
They've done it before - I had a 5MT '90 Acura Legend Coupe that was amazing V-Tech NA 6Cyl that ran like a top and wound out when I wanted to. Suspension was very well done as well. And that car became the 2001 Accord Coupe - which with a suspension upgrade and a $25 shift link upgrade was killer too. They've been crap since...but maybe back on track...fingers crossed.

I'll say that outside of a Cayenne or X5M - my (slightly modded) Acura '15 MDX SH-AWD DD is a blast to drive. Too bad no manual.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I was going to suggest a Focus ST but it's manual only. If you do look at one find a ST3 version with the NAV and Recaro seats.

I've always liked the first generation MR2's.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
How do you mean? Mine is a 2012, but I've had no issues with gauges...
Good man, with an Abarth.

I hated the concentric circles, and the tiny digital speed readout. Would have happily dumped the analog speedo in favor of a giant tach with a bigger digital speed readout instead of the digital clock so big. But that's just me.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:16 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the type of milage you put on it... go with the Maserati Ghibli !!
If you see a guy driving down the PCH in 2nd gear with everyone else flying by... that would be me

Honestly I love the sound of that car!... just goes to show ya it IS possible to make a turbo sound GOOD.
The styling is pretty good too, interior... not so much.
With 3K down you can get one for $400-ish a month.
OK granted the turbo lag will kill you, it's nuts.

It's a (small-ish) 4-door like your looking for, oh and... it's Maserati

Quick Reply: Had a lot of fun on the "twisties".... in my Mazda 3 sedan.